TRS2019 - Loco Smoke Offset

borderreiver

When running a steam locomotive session across the Forth Rail bridge in Edinburgh & Dundee I noticed that locomotive smoke appears to be significantly offset to one side.
I have seen this effect in T:ANE where it was about a couple of metres (6 feet approx), but this looks more like ten metres (30 feet approx).
Several content creators locos exhibit it so it is possibly not something they are at fault for?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Try turning off PhysX in the settings. This is supposed to enable to the particle collision effects but often this doesn't work properly and results in the effect you have seen.

Thanks ed, I will try that. I checked back through the screenshots I took and the chimney smoke appears ok away from the Forth Rail Bridge but goes awry anywhere on the bridge.

Hello ed

Spot on. PhysX disabled and the smoke offset disappeared.
Here's the Drummond D 0-6-0 on the bridge heading south.

You didn’t turn off PhysX in the settings, you turned off the simulation of PhysX. This doesn’t work properly, you want the real thing.

Paul

You didn’t turn off PhysX in the settings, you turned off the simulation of PhysX. This doesn’t work properly, you want the real thing.

Paul

Just a correction, this does disable a number of the PhysX functions. In particular, it disables particle effect collisions on everything except the terrain. This is why the smoke doesn't become offset, because the smoke (particle effect) won't 'collide' with anything. If you drive through the terrain, you should see the particle effects become offset.

The smoke becoming offset is itself due to one or more objects near/around the train using the default collision mesh/box. By default, the collision box effectively 'shrink wraps' over the top of the object (think a bit like draping a sheet over it); anything inside that will offset it's smoke effect.

Creators can specify custom collision meshes for their content. In particular this would be needed for any object the train can legitimately pass through (ie the bridge pictured in this thread, which the train passes through in places, or tunnels, or bridges over the track), to make a 'hole' through the collision mesh for the train to go through.

Regards

The 'real thing' is already on your graphics card and is usually turned on by default. If nVidia, open the nVidia Control Panel by right clicking on the desktop, to check its status. AMD ???
cheers

Back