Totally inappropriate firemen in UK steam locos by Gary Price

peterwhite

Steam Rules OK
Have any of you UK modellers noticed the inappropriate firemen in Gary Prices steam locos. Some are in hi-vis vests which were non-existent until the 1980's (well past the end of steam) and a blond women in a grey suite ?????.
Any ideas how to change this back to the original fireman they came with.
Or am I stuck with an Australian sense of humour from N3V.

Peter

Have a look at the config.txt file and if you're lucky they are on attachment points and you can drop in another person.

Quoting the kuid might help.

Cheerio John

They sound like default drivers provided when there are none set up in the Locos config, not sure how they are getting used as firemen? Least they have legs...... saw one a while back that was in steam loco with no legs.....

Checked on his website as I don't have any locos and some of his locos are using the orange driver, which would indicate not set up for specific driver assets in the config, I'd check the dependencies for the driver and fireman?

Malc

This is the entry in the config.

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "44096_4f_0-6-0_br4AZ_body/44096_4f_0-6-0_br4AZ_body.LM"
auto-create 1

effects
{
f
{
kind "corona"
att "a.corona0"
texture-kuid <kuid:76813:89904>
object-size 0.1
}
}
}

coalman
{
mesh "44096_4f_0-6-0_br4AZ_body/coalman/coalman.im"
auto-create 1
att "a.coalman"
att-parent "default"
}
}

This references the folder 44096 4f 0-6-0 bt4az body
i which there is a folder called coalman
in this folder is 5 files which are as follows

coalman Auran indexed mesh
coalman.texture Text document
coalman paint.net image
me lores texture text document
me lores paint.net image

And looking at coalman paint.net image and me lores paint.net image they are both the same.
and the original coalman

Peter

Gary Prices's engines are set up to use the crew figures from TS2009 and they are randomised in that you might end up with any two figures out of the set. In TS2019 you end up getting either the scruffy looking shower in hi-vis that look like Southwest Rail rejects or the ladies dressed in grey or blue suits that just look confused. If you want to stop them turning up in your locomotive cabs you need to assign permanent figures in the config file and that usually stops them.

You can have some fun with the TS2019 lot though if you're in the mood for it.

I called this screenshot 'The Driving Lesson'.

sZ6GH4N.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see any reason why the fireman is getting replaced then, seems a bit strange. Just in case checked some of skipper1945's in TANE TRS19 and TRS19 Plus Beta, seem to be working ok there, however George use separate assets for the driver and fireman. suggest use Skipper1945's fireman

As I am modelling Carlisle in Cumberland (sorry, refuse to call it Cumbria) I use a lot of Gary's LMS loco's so I would have a lot to change. I think it is down to N3V to root out the comedian that replaced the original meshes with these comic versions and did something about it.

Peter

I use a good few of Gary's engines on my border country layout. They're good, they work without fuss and they do exactly what they are supposed to. I've only used them in TS2012 though and haven't tried using them in the later simulators.
I only run my 19th century stuff in TS2019 because by and large they're bombproof, but I did strike the hi-vis jacket idiot problem with them turning up uninvited on any unoccupied cab attachment point. The only solution was to leave nowhere for them to stand by occupying all the crew attachment points with figures under my own KUID number so they couldn't be got at or changed by a sudden magic update or bug fix.

Hi All,
I've only just heard of this thread thanks to Peter White.
From what I understand the fireman should always be in the cab and never change character as it is included within the loco's files.
The driver on the other hand is completely random based on what (if any) character Trainz or the user picks.
I could change this to a preset driver figure but I thought customers would prefer to pick their own.

It sounds like the driver choices within the game is what's causing the issues.

Sorry for the misunderstanding in the post title. I had completely forgotten that the driver is on the left and not the fireman.

The driver on the other hand is completely random based on what (if any) character Trainz or the user picks.
I could change this to a preset driver figure but I thought customers would prefer to pick their own.

How do you 'pick' the driver.

In the edit session rules drop-down in Surveyor you can edit the Driver Setup to select which driver you want. If you go through the drivers in TRS2019 you will find some of the older ones. Speaking from memory when I looked I think some of them were Andrew, Eric, Franky, Graham, Sean and Thomas. You can also add any suitable drivers from the DLS.

Hi All,
I have noticed in T:ANE that it's possible to alter the config file for the built in drivers. So would it be possible to reduce the likelihood of this troublesome figure and her various friends so you can have a more "suitable" character?
Has anyone tried this in TS2019?
I don't have TS2019 as yet.Trying to hold out until Christmas.
I searched "driver"in content manager and it brought up a list of built in drivers. Maybe by renaming her to Zanadu or something she will be less likely to appear.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to disable or erase her.

Last edited:
I have found if you disable the driver (not the mesh) he/she will not appear in the list of drivers in Surveyor.

Hi John,
Do you mean disable them in content manager or within the game?
How did you do it?

Thanks,
Gary.

The problem drivers are in this lot those marked *** are the female drivers in suits!

<kuid2:661281:96139:1> Driver Mesh 2
<kuid:661281:96141> Driver Mesh 3
<kuid:661281:96142> Driver Mesh 4
<kuid:661281:96558> Driver Mesh 4
<kuid:661281:96143> Driver Mesh 5
<kuid:661281:96560> Driver Mesh 5
<kuid:661281:96562> Driver Mesh 6
<kuid:661281:96144> Driver Mesh 6
<kuid:661281:96145> Driver Mesh 7
<kuid:661281:96564> Driver Mesh 7
<kuid:661281:96146> Driver Mesh 8
<kuid:661281:96566> Driver Mesh 8
<kuid:661281:96568> Driver Mesh 9***
<kuid:661281:96147> Driver Mesh 9
<kuid:661281:96569> Driver Mesh 10***
<kuid:661281:96545> Driver Mesh 10
<kuid:661281:96571> Driver Mesh 11***
<kuid:661281:96546> Driver Mesh 11
<kuid:661281:96573> Driver Mesh 12***
<kuid:661281:96547> Driver Mesh 12
<kuid:661281:96575> Driver Mesh 13
<kuid:661281:96548> Driver Mesh 13
<kuid:661281:96549> Driver Mesh 14
<kuid:661281:96550> Driver Mesh 15
<kuid:661281:96551> Driver Mesh 16
Presume you disable in manage Content, however these are the new default drivers so not sure what will happen if they are all disabled as presumably the old system no longer works.

It's the scruffy riff-raff in Hi-vis that I would like to see gone, but yes I do agree that the ladies in suits are not appropriate for nearly all of the locomotives that are run in Trainz.

Possibly if they were dressed properly I wouldn't mind so much.

cpWmaTi.jpg

Hi John,
Do you mean disable them in content manager or within the game?
How did you do it?

Thanks,
Gary.

In Content Manager. I'll try later to see what happens in game.

ADDED
Select the driver. pull down the content menu and click on disable

Last edited:
Back