Totally inappropriate firemen in UK steam locos by Gary Price

It's the scruffy riff-raff in Hi-vis that I would like to see gone, but yes I do agree that the ladies in suits are not appropriate for nearly all of the locomotives that are run in Trainz.

Possibly if they were dressed properly I wouldn't mind so much.

cpWmaTi.jpg

I don't normally quote with pictures, but the lady on the right looks like my Nan! :D

Arise O ancient dead thread.

RtKEFFX.jpg

I don't know how many Trainz folk know this, but back in July 2020 N3V released a new set of driver figures for TS2012 Build 3.7. I was astonished, - an official N3V update for TS2012, - whatever would happen next!

K4DAW2V.jpg

The new drivers all happily found new homes in the cabs of my GP Locos in TS2012 and this was definitely a good thing. BUT the new drivers unfortunately don't seem to work in TS2019/TRS19 with the cross-eyed ladies in trouser suits and the scruffy council binmen in hi-vis still being the usual default annoyance.

On some older Trainz steam locomotives where the default TS2019 drivers were causing problems by doing a hideous chest burst up through the existing installed driver figures i have got rid of them by editing the driver attachment point to a.albert instead of a.driver0, or a.driver01, - or whatever it might be and then editing the config file to suit. If that doesn't work then editing the driver attachment point height to -60.000 and creating a new driver attachment point that does not contain the word 'driver' in its name should cure the problem. You'll need to install IM Editor to do this by the way.

If the driver character (not the mesh) has a trainz-build below 4.6, TRS19 replaces the displayed driver by one of its own new (ugly) characters.

Peter

If the driver character (not the mesh) has a trainz-build below 4.6, TRS19 replaces the displayed driver by one of its own new (ugly) characters.

Peter

Yes I can understand that Peter, but what I don't understand is why N3V released a brand new set of driver figures for TS2012 3.7 when it's supposed to be well outside its support cut off date. I'm not complaining because I like the new driver figures and I still run TS2012 more than I do the later versions simply because it does what it says on the tin and it doesn't break things by getting 'updates'.

It would be very nice if the new 3.7 figures could be specified in TS2019 and not get shoved out of the cab by the council bin men and the cross eyed ladies. BUT I don't think that will ever be likely to happen.

To replace the driver in GP locomotives, add the following lines in the config.txt retaining the appropriate spacings:

driver
{
kind "attachment"
att "a.driver0"
default-mesh <kuid2:116296:360:4>
}

so that it reads as follows under 'effects':

effects
{
f
{
kind "corona"
att "a.corona0"
texture-kuid <kuid:76813:89904>
object-size 0.1
}

r
{
kind "corona"
att "a.corona1"
texture-kuid <kuid:76813:89904>
object-size 0.1
}

driver
{
kind "attachment"
att "a.driver0"
default-mesh <kuid2:116296:360:4>
}

}
}

<kuid2:116296:360:4> is the LMS driver from George Bales's LMS 2P, but you can choose any driver you like and insert the appropriate kuid. Please note, this is only ever for personal use.

Edit: Opps, sorry! You have to make your own copy of the driver and lower him to match the footplate by adding the position line in his config.txt:

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "shunter_driver.im"
position 0,0,-1.672
auto-create 1
}
}

ingha

Last edited:
Yes that's an essential point. You need to make a copy of the driver and place the copy in a folder named 'driver' inside the main asset folder. That way the driver asset can't be replaced, updated or changed by TS2019. Some drivers have a lot of texture bits so putting them in a folder keeps things tidy instead of scattering them all through everything else. TS2019 sometimes has a moan about separate meshes, but take no notice since it's only a warning.

So you will need to edit the config file like so (example taken from one of my own fully functional and well tested engines)........

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "Loco.lm"
auto-create 1
}

driver
{
mesh "driver/driver.im"
auto-create 1
att "a.driver0"
att-parent "default"
}

& etc

I move the footplate crews' attachment points around and adjust their height using IM Editor, but if you can't do this you will need to add the position statement position x,y,z to the magic incantation in the config file.

Last edited:
Back