Track Priority Marker?

boleyd

There is a pretty purple marker called Track Priority. I clicked on the "?" and in the wiki I found that there is no reference to this marker. Does anyone know of a description?

It works with the priority setting in locos. A train can have a priority of 1,2(default) or 3. When under AI control the train will choose a path with a marker of the same level if it has a choice of paths. At least in theory that is how it works. It along with track direction markers are legacy items from the early days when AI was called Autodrive. You didn't program the path of a AI train to use, autodrive just tried to make its way as best it could making choices at each junction. Those two markers could be used to tweak the choices the autodrive controlled loco made. I assume they are still around for old routes that have them so the route doesn't show a missing dependency. Autodrive was replaced by the Drive command. I'm not sure that it obeys those markers.

For example, If you wanted a passenger train to stay on the mainline at sidings you would make the loco have a priority of 1 and put a marker of priority 1 on the mainline at the siding. Others trains of priority 2 or 3 would take the siding and allow the passenger train to go by.

William

Last edited:
There is a pretty purple marker called Track Priority. I clicked on the "?" and in the wiki I found that there is no reference to this marker. Does anyone know of a description?
From the PDF manual:

PRIORITY TRACKMARKS
Priority trackmarks are purple and are used to indicate to the AI
Driver the “Priority level” of a section of track. Trains and track
sections need to match in priority value. i.e. A Priority 2 Driver will
first attempt to path along a Priority 2 track section.

The priority system is not an explicit path setting mechanism
as a driver will still find a path over tracks of differing priorities if
the priority track is blocked.

. . . . . .

You're welcome.

Take care,

Why look at a manual when you can post on social media?:hehe:

Heh. That's why I do this. While the manual isn't all that wonderful in explaining things, it does give, at the very least, brief descriptions of most everything that you run across in the game. The forums, or if you're lucky the Wiki, will have more detailed explanations with maybe a bit more clarity.

I think people forget that a manual is available. However, as with a lot of things, what the user think an object or process is called may be way different from what the developers call it. I have that problem with most of the software programs when I first start working with them. It is very much like engineering and darn near everything; once you learn the lingo you'll be able to understand (kind of) what's going on.

Take care,

Back