Problem with assets - Niddertalbahn/Deluxe routes

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
I have only two DLC routes, both of which are free: Niddertalbahn, and Cornish Mainline. I have a question about Niddertalbahn, however: Is it really not supposed to come w/ the power lines and trains?

Edit: Also, should I buy all the deluxe routes before SP4?

Last edited:
Ensure you have downloaded all the content packages because there should not be any missing content like that with built-in assets (routes).

At the risk of opening an old wound, Why should you have to download all the dlc items, just to get one or two missing assets?

Instead of dumbly labelling everything as a "missing or unknown asset", Content manager should indicate which dlc package they can be found in. The user can then download, or if necessary buy the dlc items that contain those assets. The same thing applies when assets are downloaded from the dls. Last week, I downloaded an updated version of a route into TANE. This came up with one item that that was listed as "unknown". It wasn't "Unknown" it was a TRS19 built-in asset. Why did Content Manager keep that a secret from me. Not only that, it was a build 3.5 or possibly lower, and the previous versions were also hidden in TANE. I already have TRS19, but if I hadn't, I might have been persuaded to buy it.

How many other "Unknown Assets" are hidden behind dlc items and other versions of Trainz? The only items that should be listed as "unknown" are assets that have never been on an N3V database either as dls or part of a dlc package. All other assets should have an "availabilty" indication.

Tony Hilliam has on various occasions told us that the Content Manager will be improved, however we have had no announcements, progress reports, or any indication of what is being planned.

Regards

Mike

Mike - 'unknown' is basically related to what the Content Manager database is aware of at the time of the query. It doesn't necessarily know about assets in other Trainz versions although it may know about DLC items if they are for that version of Trainz.

Shane

I have checked. Some faulty assets, but now fixed. They weren't the wires or trains. I never got them, so I have to download them... but I don't know the rolling stock. Or the wires.

Are those in a session? on the DLS. The route may be just the basic route which can then be set up via the session for different purposes like a steam session or an electric session. In these cases you don't want wires for a steam version.

Niddertalbahn, however: Is it really not supposed to come w/ the power lines and trains?

The powerlines you are seeing are in the session layer, and if you look on the DLS, you can get the same exact session that the Store has (as they used the multiplayer session to setup to single player)
So yes, they're in the session layer

Cheers

The powerlines you are seeing are in the session layer, and if you look on the DLS, you can get the same exact session that the Store has (as they used the multiplayer session to setup to single player)
So yes, they're in the session layer

Cheers

No offense, but I have no honest clue what that means. Also, I didn't get any sessions with Niddertalbahn. I'm guessing that this is normal behavior, though.

Yes, that's normal behavour.
The sessions are the payware part that where made for the route (and add extra rolling stock content)

Here is a session that's on the DLS that has trains and the overhead wires (if still interested)
<kuid2:388413:100124:6> Niddertalbahn TANE MP Session that actually works V1.6 electric

Cheers

Hi Shane,

I didn't intend or want to hijack this thread when I replied, but I didn't quite understand your statement, I have always assumed that Content Manager basically lists everything on the dls, with the exception of filtering assets which have too high a build number for use in the particular version of Trainz.

When I download an asset with numerous dependencies, I expect to get the asset and all the dependencies that it can find. I assume that for those cases where a specific build version of the asset is required that it searches something along the lines "first part of kuid, second part of kuid, asset version". If the search fails to find the first and or the second part of the kuid, then it is fairly reasonable to assume that the asset is "unknown" in the sense that the author or specific item cannot be found in the database. If the search gets as far as checking the version, then, based on certain criteria, it may not be available for use in the version of Trainz making the request for that particular version. (I don't know what the criterion is, but it clearly isn't the Build version.) However, in no way can the asset be regarded as "unknown". it is very definitely known and I would have thought that a more helpful indication were possible than simply dismissing it as unknown and causing the user potentially hours of work trying to find it or find a suitable replacement.
The specific example I was referring to was for the latest update of the Dearnby & District route. Asset 2:124017:200100:2 was listed as an "Unknown Asset". Right-clicking on it did nothing. There was no suggestion that a previous version existed. As it happens, this had already been flagged in the relevant thread and therefore I did not pursue the issue.

Given your statement above, I have today checked this asset in the four versions of Trainz that I still have on this machine, with the following results:

TRS12 Build 61383 lists kuid 124017:200100:1 Build version 2.0 The original version is shown as "unknown".
TMR2017 Build 85470 lists kuid 124017:200100:1 as Built-in and ":1" as "available, obsolete".
TRS19 Build 100240 lists Kuid 124017:200100:2 as Built-in (also at Build version 2.0) and ":1" as "obsolete, available".

And now for the point about my comment, the complete time-wasting response of TANE that kuid 124017:200100:2 is an "Unknown Asset" and only tells me the name of the Author. No other information is given. As I have already stated right-clicking on the asset does not tell me that there is an earlier version. If, however, I list the author's assets in TANE, it tells me that the ":1" version is actually Built-in to TANE! What kind of stupidity is that? Why does Content Manager deny the existence of an asset which it quite obviously knows all about? If the ":2" version is not available for use in TANE, it should tell me why, not deny the entire existence of the asset.

With regard to the original query regarding dlc content, I am sure that it would be possible for Content manager to search the appropriate database to find out where the missing assets can be found.

Regards

Mike

Hi Shane,

I didn't intend or want to hijack this thread when I replied, but I didn't quite understand your statement, I have always assumed that Content Manager basically lists everything on the dls, with the exception of filtering assets which have too high a build number for use in the particular version of Trainz.

When I download an asset with numerous dependencies, I expect to get the asset and all the dependencies that it can find. I assume that for those cases where a specific build version of the asset is required that it searches something along the lines "first part of kuid, second part of kuid, asset version". If the search fails to find the first and or the second part of the kuid, then it is fairly reasonable to assume that the asset is "unknown" in the sense that the author or specific item cannot be found in the database. If the search gets as far as checking the version, then, based on certain criteria, it may not be available for use in the version of Trainz making the request for that particular version. (I don't know what the criterion is, but it clearly isn't the Build version.) However, in no way can the asset be regarded as "unknown". it is very definitely known and I would have thought that a more helpful indication were possible than simply dismissing it as unknown and causing the user potentially hours of work trying to find it or find a suitable replacement.
The specific example I was referring to was for the latest update of the Dearnby & District route. Asset 2:124017:200100:2 was listed as an "Unknown Asset". Right-clicking on it did nothing. There was no suggestion that a previous version existed. As it happens, this had already been flagged in the relevant thread and therefore I did not pursue the issue.

Given your statement above, I have today checked this asset in the four versions of Trainz that I still have on this machine, with the following results:

TRS12 Build 61383 lists kuid 124017:200100:1 Build version 2.0 The original version is shown as "unknown".
TMR2017 Build 85470 lists kuid 124017:200100:1 as Built-in and ":1" as "available, obsolete".
TRS19 Build 100240 lists Kuid 124017:200100:2 as Built-in (also at Build version 2.0) and ":1" as "obsolete, available".

And now for the point about my comment, the complete time-wasting response of TANE that kuid 124017:200100:2 is an "Unknown Asset" and only tells me the name of the Author. No other information is given. As I have already stated right-clicking on the asset does not tell me that there is an earlier version. If, however, I list the author's assets in TANE, it tells me that the ":1" version is actually Built-in to TANE! What kind of stupidity is that? Why does Content Manager deny the existence of an asset which it quite obviously knows all about? If the ":2" version is not available for use in TANE, it should tell me why, not deny the entire existence of the asset.

With regard to the original query regarding dlc content, I am sure that it would be possible for Content manager to search the appropriate database to find out where the missing assets can be found.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

There is a bug in the content management system that N3V is aware of. It was reported by me awhile ago and the issue is being addressed (When it's fixed - soon(tm) as we've said here for ages). This has to do with versions, aka the final suffix of an asset. If a route has an older asset dependency installed that is obsoleted, the asset is correctly reported as installed and there is no issue on the system where the route was originally created, however, if the same route is installed in another Trainz install, even if the newer dependency is installed, the original asset is listed as missing.

Shane is correct. Content Manager in one version does not know of an asset in another, and only knows of assets listed in the assets.tdx, its local database, and what's available on the DLS. I have noticed too that author is recognized now in the newer versions, mostly but not always, when an asset is missing. I say mostly because this only can happen if the author's content has already been installed and that user is now in the database.

A problem w/ the multiplayer session...

There's 649 assets I don't have! What??

If someone could just tell me the power lines used, then maybe I could stop complaining.

Back