Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tr**n S*m 2020

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    When I bought Trainz in 2009 there were 4800 active members on the forum now there are 1779. Last year at this time there were 1900 members active.

For what was once a community based game that is not a good sign.

Harold
    Probably like other Forums I belong to which are loosing members, they have gone to Farcebook and Twitter, Communities seem to be on the way out in favour of the Social Media obsession.

Then there are those, I know who will not use these forums due to all the bickering and bad behaviour that was happening a couple of years ago, still using Trainz though.

I also wonder if forum stats are affected by all the no tracking stuff people are using these days ;o)
    Malc

Blog Entries

I'd never drive in Trainz; braking and acceleration physics aren't even in the park when it comes to reality ...

... for TS. Reasonably good physics, ... , I use both sims.
    Since you use both, I'll concede to your experience with the physics. But in reading some of the other forums, I seem to recall many threads bemoaning the lack of realistic physics too. Locomotives that can out perform drag racers, up hill; couplers that only behave more like rubber bands. Was that limited to specific assets?

It's a bit like cameras. Not that your system is necessarily better than all the others but once you're in for many years, you've invested a lot of time, money and learning and need a very good reason to switch, if ever. The $ investment in train sims is not a high as in cameras but the time investment is not small either nor the learning curve.

So after a brief start with MSTS, I got on the Trainz wagon early and have been ever since. Not because it is the absolute best (but I do like the way it generally works) but mainly because I'm too lazy to start over. Recreating all the bits and pieces I've made over the years would be prohibitive in time and effort, if it was even possible. For the same reason I still use GMax. It does what I want it to do and that's enough for me. YMMV

70337:
    TRS19 build 100240 and 103369 Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

It was mentioned that the other simulator looks better out of the box, and that what’s possible in Trainz Surveyor can be done with time and skill in the other sims. Both are true, and I’ll add that some object manipulating can be more versatile in the other sim. It’s like Blender, once you get the hang of it it can be very powerful.

Trainz can improve graphics and Surveyor to challenge these, of course, but a large number of assets are being created with legacy materials under the belief that it doesn’t really make a difference, or is not worth it. For PBR to shine I think that most or all assets in a scene need to use it for it to be convincing. Ironically the only community that seems to accomplish this is the Thomas community.

Simulation and physics/features are lacking heavily, as are sounds. Multiplayer and Driver/Surveyor combined are nice but doesn’t provide anything that can be done without. Once those issues are fixed I think Trainz will be better in the running.
    Regards Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    There is no new audience for Trainz.
    Nonsense. Any successful business person will tell you that you create your own market. Butting heads with an existing product that already owns its own market is a waste of energy. Using existing statistics (not that you have referred to any) to show what the market currently is means you are a follower, not a leader. Trainz has a well-established product differentiation - user content creation and route building. The challenge is to build a market on that differentiation, not follow the trail that others have already trod.

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    Nonsense. Any successful business person will tell you that you create your own market. Butting heads with an existing product that already owns its own market is a waste of energy. Using existing statistics (not that you have referred to any) to show what the market currently is means you are a follower, not a leader. Trainz has a well-established product differentiation - user content creation and route building. The challenge is to build a market on that differentiation, not follow the trail that others have already trod.
    Have a snazzy title like "Trainz 2009: World Builder Edition".

Harold

What is the definition of SIMULATION surely it's not just driving a train, that's too boring for many Trainzers.

I recently downloaded a superb route and session:
    Dearnby & District: UK 1950s - 1960s Mainline, Branchline & Narrow Gauge v2.0 and the accompanying session Dearnby & District 1950s - 1960s v2.0 Trainspotter session which is a portal spawning session allowing train-hopping or just watching things go by. This session contains about 20 drivers each going about their business. Five or six of them are pilots giving you aerial views over the layout. This is what I call SIMULATION.

I think it is fair to say that there is room for more than one railway simulator where there are marked differences in their strengths and weaknesses.

Ken

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Thumbs up

The core argument seems to be the old - simulation versus game. When Tony needed more revenue to fund advancements he had to add "game" features. A better database, more accurate engine performance, etc were not the market of the day.. In other words, expand his market. Personally, I have no idea if an engine has accurate performance. Most "gamers" could also care less. So, without going through a menu of differentiation between games and simulation he chose a game approach and he is still in business. A top notch choo-choo simulator would have landed him in bankruptcy court. The exact same strategy preceded his with Sir Paul at DTG. He was faced with the same dilemma. Simulation=bankruptcy or gaming to survive. I was upset and left DTG only to be eventually faced with it again at N3V.

There are quite good simulators on the market but they are for aircraft. Here the market is mainly "upscale customers" who, in many cases, are pilots. Lockheed Martin jumped into the void left by Microsoft (being refilled) with P3D, a top-of-the-line simulator. The same level of simulation of railways would cost a fortune. Lockheed Martin had the cash, Tony did not.

A few weeks ago I reinstalled P3D after some years of not using it. The evolution was overwhelming. I was far behind a moving target. Obviously I was faced with some time to catch-up. I was also faced with spending money. My flight controls were old and the new stuff was expensive. I was in the HD area of video, these guys were in the latest ultra-definition stuff with multiple monitors displaying the entire cockpit in one go. Shaders were old stuff. The new things - I never heard of. I packed my ancient control yoke and pedals and returned to the less complex world of Trainz.
    Last edited by boleyd; September 12th, 2019 at 06:24 AM.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 4gb video card