Problem with builtin textures in TRS2019

wreeder

RGS Railfan
Two regular ground textures do not render correctly in game. Beach sand 4 and beach sand 6 which are builtin assets used on the 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches - Truro to Penzance route render looking like a tiled floor of alternating dark and light squares. The image used in the assets appear to be normal looking but do have the odd size of 240 x 180. I thought textures needed to be square but I could be wrong.

The kuids are 178941:1012 and 178941:1046 by corporal_major.

I'm using the Steam version of the North America edition build 100332

William

Last edited:
Yes having had a look they are actually faulty in not having any texture.txt files and incorrectly referencing .tga in the config, should be .texture, worked although incorrect in TANE doesn't work in TRS19

Code:
; <kuid:178941:1012> Validating <kuid:178941:1012>
! <kuid:178941:1012> VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
! <kuid:178941:1012> VE62: Required container 'texture-variants' is missing.
! <kuid:178941:1012> VE176: The tag 'texture' in 'groundtexture' must have a texture file extension.
! <kuid:178941:1012> VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in 'groundtexture' must have a texture file extension.
! <kuid:178941:1012> VE113: An image file ('Beach sand 4.tga') has been supplied where a texture file ('*.texture.txt') is required.

240 x 180 is the thumbnail size, and is normal

Since these are built-in assets, I assume the tga files were removed to save space after the assets were complied for the game engine to use. I downloaded them into TS12 and it looks like they are badly made. They have that mirror like sheen seen when the normal map isn't setup correctly.

Edit: I was able to fix the normal map for TS12 but since these are built-in to TRS19 they would need to be fixed by N3V. Lots of people had trouble adding normal maps when they were required for ground textures.

William

Last edited:
Looks like they are not locked in TRS19, there's no permissions stuff in the config, in fact beach sand 6 here is locally modified, I remember importing that from TS12 into TANE for some route long before the Cornwall Route appeared, I forget what, must have arrived when I imported my TANE stuff into TRS19, should have been overwritten by the builtin by now though which is a bit puzzling.

Pretty sure that the beach or some of it was redone using PBR and Parallax in one of the Cornwall Updates.

I just ran into that texture myself last night. I've seen the square blocks on other older textures now that I think about it.

Since these are built-in assets, I assume the tga files were removed to save space after the assets were complied for the game engine to use. I downloaded them into TS12 and it looks like they are badly made. They have that mirror like sheen seen when the normal map isn't setup correctly.

Edit: I was able to fix the normal map for TS12 but since these are built-in to TRS19 they would need to be fixed by N3V. Lots of people had trouble adding normal maps when they were required for ground textures.

William

I had a look at these myself today and I learned something about groundtextures that I didn't know before.

Even after fixing the missing .texture.txt and related config errors, the normal maps were not providing any bumps and the sheen was too much, as you described. I initially thought this was all due to the normal maps being just a flat uniform colour and that there was no alpha channel (which defaults to pure white, strong sheen).

So I generated my own 32-bit normal maps with bumpiness and alpha channels (dark grey in overall tone). I was surprised to find that these modified textures were still flat and shiny in the game.

I realised later that this was because my texture.txt files did not include the line Tile=st for both the diffuse and normal maps. Once added, the bumps and sheen displayed correctly in the game. I hadn't known that the tiling parameter was so necessary in groundtextures. So I just hope Corporal_Major doesn't make the same mistakes when/if he updates his textures.

There are 4 textures that I have found so far with the same problem with the sheen.
Oz Gravel -25:1101
Oz Grass -25:1102
Oz Dirt Darker -25:1097
Oz Dirt -25:1096

All are trainz build 3.6. I had downloaded the Wadalbavale to Karrah Bay route from the DSL into TS12 and much of the terrain was reflecting the sky. Looking at the config for those textures they all had entries in the obsolete table for 2 textures used on the route. Removing those entries brought the route back to normal looking. Of course I could have fixed the textures in TS12 but I plan on reworking the route myself so I took the lazy way.

I'm going to assume the checkerboard pattern is the display for bad texture in TRS19.

William

Back