Thread: Does trainz now accept 32bit BMP's?

Default Does trainz now accept 32bit BMP's?

Hello all
    Does trainz now accept 32bit BMP's?
    If so, can anyone reccomend a good 32bit BMP reader/converter?
    thank you in advance.
    Mike d

Blog Entries

This question was posted a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by whecsailorjr View Post
    Hello all
    Does trainz now accept 32bit BMP's?
    If so, can anyone reccomend a good 32bit BMP reader/converter?
    thank you in advance.
    Mike d
    My reply back then has not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    There is no new information on the Trainz Wiki to say that it does now support 32 bit BMP files so I would say probably not - but it is always possible that they have not yet updated the Wiki.

The only mention of 32 bit formats is the HDR format but with the comment that this is very expensive in terms of memory usage. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...p/Texture_file

Why would you be using BMP format images when they have no redeeming features?
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Being curious, I just made a test object in Max 2009 using a m.tbumptex material based on;

- a 512x512 pixel 24-bit .bmp as the diffuse map.
    - a 512x512 pixel 32-bit .bmp as the normal map.

Within Max, there was nothing unusual about how it treated the diffuse map.

For the normal map however, Max's material editor would not allow me to nominate "Image alpha" as the Alpha source. I assume it couldn't auto-detect the alpha channel in the 32-bit bmp (unlike what happens with 32-bit .tga images) for some reason. I nominated "RGB intensity" as the alpha source - without really knowing what that means - because the only other alternative was to select "None".

That being done, I exported the model as an .im mesh and had to manually add the "Alpha=" line to the .texture.txt file of the normal map. So it read;

Primary=rockface normal.bmp
    Alpha=rockface normal.bmp
    Tile=st
    NormalMapHint=normalmap

The object imported into TRS2019 without trouble. It displayed in Asset Preview and in the game itself without any technical faults. However, compared to a TGA version of the same object, the specular reflection from the BMP texture was inferior, almost non-existent. I assume this was due to the normal map's alpha channel not being recognised. I also noticed in Content Manager that the BMP asset was listed as 2.3 MB while the TGA asset was only 2.1 MB.

My conclusion is similar to pware's. While 32-bit BMP's don't cause hard faults in TRS2019, they are inferior to 32-bit TGA's in terms of performance, so why use them?

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; September 10th, 2019 at 03:30 AM.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Just easier to use TGA, pretty sure Trainz only supports bmp because that's what some legacy assets used, the recommended format in common with many games was TGA, you can also use png in TRS19.
    Most old assets I've seen that use bmp with alphas have the alpha as a separate bmp file not embedded.
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    For the normal map however, Max's material editor would not allow me to nominate "Image alpha" as the Alpha source. I assume it couldn't auto-detect the alpha channel in the 32-bit bmp (unlike what happens with 32-bit .tga images) for some reason. I nominated "RGB intensity" as the alpha source - without really knowing what that means - because the only other alternative was to select "None".
    The 32-bit image is a bump map, not a normal map, where the intensity (basically, the grey level if it was converted to a monochrome image) is used to indicate the height. Presumably it is converted from a bump map to a normal map during import.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    The 32-bit image is a bump map, not a normal map, where the intensity (basically, the grey level if it was converted to a monochrome image) is used to indicate the height. Presumably it is converted from a bump map to a normal map during import.
    This depends entirely on if the asset if a PBR asset, or a non PBR asset.

If non PBR, then the alpha channel of the normals map (in a 32bit image) will be the specular map not the height map.

If a PBR asset, then the alpha channel of the normals map is the height map.

In either case, the normals map (the R/G/B channels of the image) still functions the same. There's no conversion from 'bump map' to 'normals map' by Trainz, as you are already providing a normals map.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.