Max number of base boards?

autodctr

Is there a maximum number of base boards that can be used for a layout?

I had just created a 10 x 10 base. I covered it with grass. Then, raised approx. 3 boards up to 185 meters. All was well. But, I cannot add track to it! As soon as I start placing my first piece of track, it boots me completely out of the game.

Any ideas?

The limit is pretty much what your computer can handle. I have routes that are a couple of hundred miles long that were built over the years. This would amount to hundreds if not thousands of baseboards. I can't say that these work because they're older routes that have been imported, because one of my larger routes, currently in progress is a UP branch out of Laramie, WY out to Coalmont. There are hundreds of baseboards still on the route that will be trimmed later because I left them in place until I get my track laid and terrain landscaped, and this route loads up fine.

With that said, do you have a backup, and also did you try a database repair?

How much disk space, and how much RAM? Sometimes increasing the virtual memory might help with cases like this. Try a fixed amount using the old 1-1/2 time the amount of RAM in the system for a fixed-size page file, but you shouldn't have to do this, which leads me to believe there's something else going on here.

I did not try a database rebuild. I am running a Ryzen 7 2700, 16G RAM, and an RTX 2070 8G. I would think that this should be enough power.

I had tried several different kinds of track, but got booted out with all of them.

Sounds to me there is something wrong with either your PC or your installation. 100 baseboards should be nowhere near what the game can handle.
I don’t have the latest version of the game but in previous versions there was at least one route build in which had many more baseboards. Does the game crash on the routes that came with the game?

May not be the Track or boards but the grass, if ground textures, there are a few bad ones in existence.

Ground texture was "smiley6". (I usually do that before anything else and then go back afterwards and change it to what I need.)

I did a database rebuild and now I can lay track.

I have actually never tried any of the routes that come with the game. I use this game to build layouts like I used to do when I had more patience, a big room not in use, and computers weren't known yet. :) I make the layout and drive trains around. No AI.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Back