Saluda Grade

gunmetallawyer

I have personally witnessed Saluda Grade in action... seen may coal drags go over it. What a spectacle....

However, debating your knowledge of a grade that it seems most of you have never been to or seen in action is not my point for being here.

I am looking for a route cdp, if one exist, of this particular grade....

Fyi, I live within walking distance of the bottom "cut" for the Saluda Grade... I have no interest in discussion about The Grade, I am just looking for a route that has The Grade...

I watched an early Norfolk and Southern training video on running the hill as they called it. It's quite a route, but I don't think anyone has created it in Trainz yet. If you are interested in doing so, I recommend using the third-party program TransDEM to produce an accurate landscape from DEM files, and place either topographic maps or orthographic images on the terrain to assist with the construction.

I watched an early Norfolk and Southern training video on running the hill as they called it. It's quite a route, but I don't think anyone has created it in Trainz yet. If you are interested in doing so, I recommend using the third-party program TransDEM to produce an accurate landscape from DEM files, and place either topographic maps or orthographic images on the terrain to assist with the construction.

You mean this video?

That's the one - same one in Prototype forum you posted.

Well, you'll like this one. It's a documentary on Saluda Grade, 56 minutes long too, starting from when it was built to the present day, with interviews of residents of Saluda, Jim Wrimm, and people who used to work on Saluda.

I have personally witnessed Saluda Grade in action... seen may coal drags go over it. What a spectacle....

However, debating your knowledge of a grade that it seems most of you have never been to or seen in action is not my point for being here.

I am looking for a route cdp, if one exist, of this particular grade....

Fyi, I live within walking distance of the bottom "cut" for the Saluda Grade... I have no interest in discussion about The Grade, I am just looking for a route that has The Grade...

Saluda Grade has been on my do-list for years, but I may not get to it at all, with Real Life being pretty busy and all.

Saluda is of sufficiently short length that it would be an easy first prototypical route project for the DLS - why don't you have a crack at it?

Last edited:
Well, you'll like this one. It's a documentary on Saluda Grade, 56 minutes long too, starting from when it was built to the present day, with interviews of residents of Saluda, Jim Wrimm, and people who used to work on Saluda.

Well that was very interesting!

Nice bit of bluegrass during the credits as well, one of my other hobbies ;o)

Back