Microsoft Train Simulator 2 News

Some things you should know, Auran makes the Jet engine and Trainz was made to show it off, TRS4 uses the Jet 2 engine so we need a Jet 3.

I don't have much to say on this.

1) There is no firm release date on this Microsoft Vista Train Simmulator 2 until there is I am not really sure this is going to come off.

2) Once it is released than obviously I want to know how to create content and make my own routes. From my perspective ease of use is
going to be my big factor. If the route creating utility is better than trainz
I will make my decision based on that however; If creating content is more cumbersome than that could cancel out the benefits of easier route creation.

3) It is a lot of work changing operating systems. I don't like doing it I may not opt to change to windows vista for a long time a lot of people feel the way I do.

Mike10, I was using bioshock as an example only, oblivion, farcry, silenthunter 3 and 4, fsx, and many others are on my machine. Some are first person shooters but not all FPS are like doom. They have moved past that now. Big open worlds, complicated shadows and machine melting effects. You clearly are not a hardcore gamer, and I don't like apples and oranges. You can have my share thanks....

Last edited:
FYI, It has been confirmed by one of the developers (tdragger) on the uktrainsim forums that MSTS 2 will be a Windows Vista only release.

The fact sheet is accurate. TS2 will be for Windows Vista.
John

Last edited:
FYI, It has been confirmed by one of the developers (tdragger) on the uktrainsim forums that MSTS 2 will be a Windows Vista only release.

John

Yes I think that is going to dampen enthusiasm a bit, though the policy is not unexpected. I was going along with the new sim quite nicely in particular the "World of Trains" idea, but the prospect of having to use a buggy O/s which may not run my existing software very well or at all is a decision that will have to be weighed nearer the time.

I think MS may have shot themselves in the foot a bit with this - even an OEM copy of Vista runs in the region of £70 here in the UK (actually just checked Overclockers, it's £64.61 for Premium 32 Bit) which if MTS2 retails at the typical MS price of £40 puts the cost of the sim over £100, if I don't want Vista for anything else.

Yes I think that is going to dampen enthusiasm a bit, though the policy is not unexpected. I was going along with the new sim quite nicely in particular the "World of Trains" idea, but the prospect of having to use a buggy O/s which may not run my existing software very well or at all is a decision that will have to be weighed nearer the time.

I think MS may have shot themselves in the foot a bit with this - even an OEM copy of Vista runs in the region of £70 here in the UK (actually just checked Overclockers, it's £64.61 for Premium 32 Bit) which if MTS2 retails at the typical MS price of £40 puts the cost of the sim over £100, if I don't want Vista for anything else.

Apparently Microsoft's verification servers crashed recently. Vista verifies itself against these servers so a number of people running Vista found parts of Vista disabled and it would only run for an hour at a time before having to be rebooted.

Microsoft's solution wait for the server to come back up then reverify.

Cheerio John

John wrote:
Apparently Microsoft's verification servers crashed recently. Vista verifies itself against these servers so a number of people running Vista found parts of Vista disabled and it would only run for an hour at a time before having to be rebooted.
- - - - - - - - - -
So what happens to people with no internet connection, does that mean they have to reboot every hour?

If so, they can shove vista where it hurts.

Dennis

What about those on dial up?

As for me, I suspect I will wait until Vista works well, and then wait a bit longer until the same company that brings us Vista gets it's Train Sim II working well. This could take awhile. ;>

Last edited:
Let's face it, by the time MSTS2 comes out, most people will have Vista. The vast majority of computers sold have it preinstalled, and if you've got an OEM version, it doesn't bother checking anything anywhere (besides, it was the Windows WGA servers which were down, which affected XP computers). Figure the earliest possible release date for MSTS2 as somewhere towards Xmas 2008, and Vista will have been out and thoroughly bug tested for 2 years at that point. No reason to bother supporting an old OS and hardware at that point, especially as you can then be guaranteed of all units being run on DX10 machines, which is a decided advantage. You can't develop cutting edge games for low-end machines. One nice thing is the MSTS2 team seem to actually be listening to what their customers want, sort of like Auran used to do.

Hi guys, long time no see. :wave:

In my opinion the new MSTS2 can mean one of two things for the Trainz franchise: improvement, or the end.

Let's face it, the train sim niche has grown into a small but competitive market. People are comparing sims, picking between one or the other based on whose sim they think is "better." New train sims are being introduced all the time, it seems, each looking to be better than their predecessors. The developers of the old sims can either step up to the plate with a new release, or call it a day.

That's exactly what I see Auran having to do now. If the new train sims coming out are anywhere near as good as they look, Auran's gonna have to give Trainz a full upgrade/overhaul to stay competitive. No, this does not mean wipe out the previous content and charge us $50 for ditch lights. This means updated/brand new graphics engine, a new sound engine, pretty much a new game with an old title.

If Auran does not step up to the plate that these new games appear to be setting, I can't imagine many people sticking with the Trainz franchise much longer. Already many people have become disenfranchised with the Trainz line of software and are looking for the "next best thing." I myself fully intend to play the demos for both of these new sims, and if I like either (or both!) I will happily pull out the cash.

Keeping my eyes out for Auran's announcement n the next year on the true future of Trainz.

Just my two cents.

-Chris (tm)

Well for non techy types like me I could never have got my present project off the ground with Microsoft TrainSim. It's far too complicated and heavy a thing to try and build a layout with. I doubt very much if any new version is going to be any different. For the average railfan wanting to build something without being a near damn technician Trainz is as good as it gets. I for one am exceptionally glad that i discovered trainz some time ago and been hooked since.

Hi guys, long time no see. :wave:

In my opinion the new MSTS2 can mean one of two things for the Trainz franchise: improvement, or the end.

-Chris (tm)
Glad to see you could make it back in time to add your prophecy of doom to the already overflowing chicken little barrel......:cool:

Trainz users will win either way with a MSTS2 release. If Auran's Trainz goes defunct, we finally have code-lock and all the cottage 3rd party developers can flourish. If MSTS2 causes Auran to step it up it notch, then we will likely have two or three great simulators to play, create for and get upset about.

I've got to agree. No matter how much better than Trainz the new train simulators are, it really has no bearing on the Trainz franchise. Many people have purchased BOTH Trainz and MSTS. Sure, they might use one or the other more, but both camps already have their money.

So far, none of the "Trainz Classics" offerings have appealed to me. What loss is it to Auran if I go and purchase either of the new Train Simulators? Absolutely none. They've already got my money for all the past products (as well as the download station subscriptions). There's absolutely no compunction for them to ever improve their product. Sure, if they don't, they might find sales of future releases not reaching the levels of current ones, but let's face it, Trainz isn't their bread and butter. It's a nice sideline, and if they can bring in cash by rehashing old code with new content, great. If not, oh well. A successfull MMORPG will bring in tons more than Trainz ever did (which is why most of their coding and effort is directed in that genre).

I mean, if "Model Trains-3d" by Abacus can find a market, Trainz isn't hurting any time soon. It'll take a long time to kill off the support of the die-hards, and the competing products which MAY (as nobody has seen the finished products yet) be better are still several months to over a year away.

I like the "$50 for ditch lights" comment, weren't they supposed to be supported almost from the first version of Trainz? I know the attachment points for them have been listed in all the CCG's. Most of the Trainz Classics "improvements" seem to be just old features finally delivered, or trainzscript modifications which could probably have been done on the TRS2006 codebase.

(SNIP)I like the "$50 for ditch lights" comment, weren't they supposed to be supported almost from the first version of Trainz? I know the attachment points for them have been listed in all the CCG's. Most of the Trainz Classics "improvements" seem to be just old features finally delivered, or trainzscript modifications which could probably have been done on the TRS2006 codebase.

Yes, Classics has to be quite a profit pig, seeing that Auran has only actually made one route of of three so far, (the other two made by community groups) and the fact stated above. Probably took longer to decide the artwork on the box than to hash the release together>

I love it when a plan comes together! You have to admire the business model!

Ed

I'm dis-satisfied, the engines still have the air brake hoses 'painted' on the end of the loco...

Back