Microsoft Train Simulator 2 News

There's no more "General Off Topic", but the rules for this section are "Prototype Talk is for discussion and information relating to model and full size railroading", so I'll just go ahead.
I am aware that there is already a thread linking to another forum, but the screenshots over there have been resized and stretched so they don't represent the actual quality of the images from the press-kit.

The entire official press-kit is available here : LINK (45 Mb)

Here are the screenshots from the press-kits "In-Game-Asset-Renders" section : (Click to Enlarge) :

To be continued ...

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
And here are the screenshots from the press-kits "In-Game-Visual-Prototype-Images" section : (Click to Enlarge) :

To be continued ...

Tata
Mr.Jingles

And last but not least the 2 Movies from the press-kit.

Video 1 (Youtube Link) showing art renders of in-game models.

Video 2 (Youtube Link) showing the "World of Rails" Technology Demo.

And here is the content of the "Fact Sheet" Document :

“Train Simulator 2”

Fact Sheet (August 2007)

Title: “Train Simulator 2”

Publisher: Microsoft® Game Studios

Developer: ACES Studio

Format: DVD-ROM for Windows Vista operating systems

ESRB Rating: Rating Pending

Product Overview:

Train Simulator 2” introduces the entire world on rail, allowing users to explore rail anywhere in the world, or use tools to build their own highly detailed routes in a deeply immersive world. From the roar of the locomotive engine to the realistic signal switches on the track, down to the individual rivets, “Train Simulator 2” offers realism yet to be seen.

Key Features:

· World of Rails (WoR) — “Train Simulator 2” will deliver an entire world of railroad experiences, along with tools to customize, extend and share user created content. “Train Simulator 2” uses world wide data processing to model nearly all routes in the world and a toolset to build your own routes providing endless options to customize and share content.

· Most realistic train simulation experience ever — TS2 will offer the truest simulation experience to those who love trains, with highly accurate locomotives and rolling stock from its look to the roar of its engine, hand-authored high accuracy routes from present and past, and core track, signal and physics systems.

· Hi-Definition Living World — “Train Simulator 2” brings users closer to the world around them with greater detail and greater interaction. Terrain is highly detailed, passengers and train crews can be seen interacting with their environment, and sophisticated dispatching and train AI creates a depth of realism. Users will be able to share their experience or their hand authored routes with others via Games for Windows Live.

· Simulation Legacy — Designed and developed by Microsoft’s Aces Studio, with over 25 Years of expertise developing best-in-class simulations.

· Games for Windows franchise — “Train Simulator 2”will ship as a Games for Windows title with easier installation, reliability standards and support for key features of Windows Vista®, including the Games Explorer and Parental Controls.

#########
The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with regard to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

Microsoft, Windows and DirectX are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
Microsoft Train Simulator 2 has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

:D

Is it coming out? I saw on an other forum that it was canceled.

That was the "original" Train Simulator 2. It was cancelled - several years ago, I think. However, it was announced early this year that Microsoft was developing a new version, based off of the Flight Sim X engine. It's that version that we're talking about here - and it is very much alive.

Patrick

Let's see...

• Windoze Vi$ta only? Check.
  • Stunning-until-you-actually-look-at-them-and-see-that-they're-crappy (SUYALATASTTC for short) graphics? Check.
  • Only U.S. content? Check.
  • Non-train items that fall below the quality of the first MSTS release? Check.
  • Made by Micro$oft (perhaps the worst shortcoming of all?) Check.
In short, this really isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Think I`m gonna stick with the old "Down Under" crew for my virtual rails, I wouldn`t trust Mr Gates not to throw a dodgy points lever in, just to derail my "Pirate OS Express". :cool:

I have used MSTS version one for years and loved it, and it does have its strong points. So I will definately be buying this new one, msts seemed to simulate the train operations to a greater degree than trainz does now(like all the switch points moved, etc.) I must admit though that it was hard to build routes(I mean REALLY hard). This looks like it might change that.

Trainzsam

I'll buy it when there's some EJ&E or Metra stuff on it.

'till then, I'll stick with MSTS and good ol' TRAINZ :wave:

Microsoft Train Simulator 2 has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This isn't some half-baked redone version of MSTS 1. This is a whole new simulation, unlike the several transitions of the trainz engine, still using what appears to be the ORIGINAL JET ENGINE.

But it looks as if it may be Windows Vista only.

I don't think that's been 100% confirmed, has it? What does Flight Sim X require? I'd imagine that they'd be pretty similar. Of course, MSTS2 isn't going to be out for a long while yet, so things could change by the time of it's release.

Patrick

This isn't some half-baked redone version of MSTS 1. This is a whole new simulation, unlike the several transitions of the trainz engine, still using what appears to be the ORIGINAL JET ENGINE.

Yeah, but when is the last time Micro$oft made a reliable product? It's all been downhill since Windoze 3.1.

Oooh. Microsoft did a bad thing, let's shun them for not getting the original MSTS Right. wooohh.... Real good point. Microsoft hasn't made any reliable products, ok, then what have you been using as an OS since you don't enjoy MS products. You running DOS? Maybe Commodore 64?

Back