[CRO] HŽ 1061- fallen flag

thom58

In early 2019, fifteen locomotives went up in smoke and iron. The locomotives were series FS E636/JŽ 362/HŽ1061. There is nothing to comment on here, the photos say a lot and without words.

This is their story ...

view on Rijeka railyard at oil tank
xprjI5M.jpg

Compared to photography from the post above, I just have to back a little in time before guys start cutting, controler still work (testing engineer was my friend) ...

... another movie (caution: very disturbing video!), HŽ 1061 017 - ease of destruction, first public showing, never public published video ...

Very sad to see, indeed.

Are these locomotives being replaced with something new?

Did any get saved from the torch for a museum?

... Are these locomotives being replaced with something new?
Unfortunately no.

Did any get saved from the torch for a museum?
This is very difficult to answer but I will try to explain current situation: six locomotives have been preserved, two of which are under the direct protection of the state.

What will be happen in the near future with these locomotives no one knows. Where these locomotives are (see photo in first post), that's where new road should come. I don't know if these remaining locomotives will be stored and saved, I'm just a railfan who documented it all, I'm not work in HŽ (Croatian railways).

HŽ 1061 108 was selected for museum (Railway museum in Zagreb), which was only original that came from Italy, but it was first to be destroyed. Destiny? No, she was first in line.

That's sad. We've lost a lot of locomotives, very special and unique ones too as in one of a kind units, that got cut up for scrap. Today the preservationists are kicking themselves for not asking for them sooner.

If I understand you correctly, a road is going in where the tracks are? If that's the case, that's worse than losing the locomotives because once track is gone, it's gone forever. People forget how useful the railways are for moving goods and people then when the want to put them back it's took expensive to do so, and there are those that fight it because "trains make noise, smell, and are big". We have a number of lines that have become bicycle trails and paths in areas where the trains should be running, but so many people wanted the tracks and trains gone because they were noisy and old.

... If I understand you correctly, a road is going in where the tracks are? ...
Yes, both track will be moved. But ... turntable ... on first picture You can see on right side big workshed for freight cars and left track will be reconnect with old turntable and service places.

What will be with locomotives we will see. Miracles are possible, even in small Croatia
4173391778.gif

... parts for HŽ 1061 that no longer have purpose ...
hMYPdyZ.jpg

bD1yGLo.jpg

zDHmAoj.jpg

motor(s)
9pdd7jC.jpg

2IFswIZ.jpg

Btw, and almost all motors gone at scrapyard (I think there left 3 or 4, not shure)

Last edited:
Yes, both track will be moved. But ... turntable ... on first picture You can see on right side big workshed for freight cars and left track will be reconnect with old turntable and service places.

What will be with locomotives we will see. Miracles are possible, even in small Croatia
4173391778.gif

Gawd those pictures are sad to look at! :(

The good news is at least the tracks will be moved and infrastructure reconnected. That's not how it goes here instead the tracks get paved over and walking paths go in with signs that tell the story of the line and the passenger depots become coffee and ice cream shops. Sometimes they acquire a locomotive or DMU and park it out in front of the line as if to honor the railroad that as once there. I would rather see the line operating than have a stuffed engine sitting there.

... parts for HŽ 1061 that no longer have purpose ...
zDHmAoj.jpg

If I was there taking that picture, after taking the picture, I'd quickly look around before taking one of those pieces on the pallet and hiding it somewhere nearby and then before leaving the property, retrieve the piece and take it home. That be a piece of railway history preserved.

... I'd quickly look around before taking one of those pieces on the pallet and hiding it somewhere nearby and then before leaving the property, retrieve the piece and take it home.
Why You think that I'm not do that
1034788524.gif
?

Of course, I didn't hide parts, but I got a lot parts from this locomotives because I was looking for it. But we'll get to that, it's all documented
1561410528.gif

... HŽ 1061 004 quietly leaves

SWFpwE4.jpg

5rfYozu.jpg

V6tEXiQ.jpg

89YE1MS.jpg

4lICHTY.jpg

orange things, exactly orange blocks behind sheeting, was locomotive ballast (because engine equipment was out center locomotive and there were are blocks there was corridor)
pvKBMsB.jpg

Last edited:
Today I was up to Rijeka railyard to see what was going on ... nothing, everything is just like few months ago

view to railyard from oil tank
d9L0pgT.jpg

a little closer
DZPf2jh.jpg

one of those who remain
6qh1VVj.jpg

and this one
p4le86k.jpg

and this one
3E90MnX.jpg

two of them under the roof and the sun's rays
cdhfBwU.jpg