Upgrading from 10 to 5 meter boards, neat fix?

BrakemanJake

Hi Guys, I posted something a while back as suggesting that merging routes was the reason behind deep bomb craters and giant terrain Christmas trees appearing in your route. I can now confirm that these are caused when you upgrade from a 10 to 5 meter per vertices board section only!
Now how to fix them, firstly swing in with the camera and understand the topography, you need to know the highest point to the lowest of the sinkhole or giant obelisk, lay quadruple track from high to low, over or through the error then use S to smooth over several times. Only use it for one hole at a time, delete the track, repeat the process with each hole and then F2 and paint over it. Once you get use to this you can repair many boards very quickly once you become familiar with this process!

Hope this is of useful information.

Hi Guys, I posted something a while back as suggesting that merging routes was the reason behind deep bomb craters and giant terrain Christmas trees appearing in your route. I can now confirm that these are caused when you upgrade from a 10 to 5 meter per vertices board section only!
Now how to fix them, firstly swing in with the camera and understand the topography, you need to know the highest point to the lowest of the sinkhole or giant obelisk, lay quadruple track from high to low, over or through the error then use S to smooth over several times. Only use it for one hole at a time, delete the track, repeat the process with each hole and then F2 and paint over it. Once you get use to this you can repair many boards very quickly once you become familiar with this process!

Hope this is of useful information.

Yup. I use band-aides across the splits, aka road splines, across the chasm. I lock the height and raise the terrain. Once done, I use the smooth terrain to get rid of any sharp difference. It's a bit time consuming if there's a lot of those rifts and pointy bits, but usually it isn't too bad.

Have you noticed that the rifts and faults seem to gather at the very edge, then make a beeline towards the centre of the layout? Maybe like the St Andrea's fault line in California, when you cram too much into too little? Food for thought, thanks for your reply. Jake

Have you noticed that the rifts and faults seem to gather at the very edge, then make a beeline towards the centre of the layout? Maybe like the St Andrea's fault line in California, when you cram too much into too little? Food for thought, thanks for your reply. Jake

Yes I noticed that too as if the route is cracking apart at the seems.

The secret is to leave the route in 10m grid, and NOT ever switch to 5m grid, thus your problems with deep terrain pits and sharp points, never even happen at all, then you never even have to fix them.

Last edited:
The secret is to leave the route in 10m grid, and NOT ever switch to 5m grid, thus your problems with deep terrain pits and sharp points, never even happen at all, then you never even have to fix them.

Ideally yes, but if you're merging in routes of different creators then there's the issue that one may have used 5m grids. Then there's the TransDem routes with 5 meter and 10 meter grid. In the current version, the user can specify whether to use 5 meter grids along the track path while the rest is at a lower 10 meter resolution. In this case it's a hit or mis situation depending upon which area gets merged in.

I understand where your coming from but, 5 meter board texture application is far superior than 10. As a route builder the manipulation of ground is also far superior in 5 meter. it is quite possible in future versions of Trainz we may have a vertice every 2,5 meters! I think it is worth the effort to upgrade if you yearn reality!

best wishes, Jake

Back