London Underground: Signage Explanation

Prince271088

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of interest in the London Underground and was wondering if someone could help with the explanation of some of the signage used in the game and placement and things like that. So the questions I have are:

The 'T' speedboard. (It's literally a speedsign with a letter 'T' on it) - What is it for and when is it used? I initially thought it maybe stood for termination or something like that but I'm not sure as I've not seen many examples of it.

LU_Speedposts_m.jpg

(In the picture above its the first sign after the whistleboards)

My second question is regarding station limit markers. These being the signs with a blue background and white numbers on them. My understanding of these is that they allow drivers to see how many cars are still in the platform in the event of an emergency(?) - Now from what I've seen in videos, they go in ascending order (1-6 or 8 depending on the stock on the line) but the intervals they are placed don't seem to be the same length as the tube cars themselves? Am I just misjudging the distance and they are actually placed a cars length apart or is there another unit of measurement that determines their placement?

LU%20Limit%20Markers_m.jpg

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.

**credit: pics taken from lutrainz.com/luscenery.html and are NOT my own pictures**

Pics?

They must be invisible...

The number sign, from what I've seen on other routes indicates the number of cars on the train and that indicates to the driver where to stop so that the train fits in the platform.

I did include pics in the original message.

And no those are the wrong number signs. I know what the platform car stoppers are. But these signs go after the station and are to tell the driver how many cars still remain at the platform according to a description of the assets by Snakelight54. But every time I have seen them in videos and stuff they don't look a car space apart.

As for the 'T' Signal. That one I am still more eager to know

Normally a T sign marks the end (termination) of a temporary speed restriction. The beginning of one is marked my a sign with number and a C for"commences". There is also often an advance warning board if the temporary restriction is significantly below the normal limit.

Hi all,

Sorry i didn't see this sooner!

For the car limit markers, this is in case of emergency, for example, a train is pulling out of the station and a passenger emergency alarm is pulled, which stops the train, the car limit markers show the operator how many cars he/she has pulled out of the station, in rare situations it helps know which doors to open for the worst case emergency.

In my Tricell Route, the markers were set to Andi06 D Stock which are slightly longer than most tube stock. In modern days, with the new S Stock, they don't match the boards which are still dotted at the end of each platform, why? I have no idea but i suspect cost comes into play about having to go to all stations to match the S Stock.

As with the "T" board I'm a little unsure fully why they have such a thing but 1 reason i know of is it's placed after a speed limit which had dropped down the speed limit for example the train is coming to a curve and needs to slow, once past this section the speed can resume to what it was before, LU do this by means of a T board; 40 > 25 > T (40) If you watch this (4 part) Bakerloo Line route learning video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEhRnaB2jE at some point there is a T board (I have no idea at what part it is, but i remember seeing it)

Hope this helps!
NOTE: I wrote this really quickly, i'll relook over it when I get a chance, forgive me for any mistakes!

Also, more content on it's way! ;)

Snake

Last edited:
Hey Snake,

Thanks for your explanation of both the car limit markers and also for the explanation of the T sign. It's very useful to know.

I'm also very pleased to hear that there is more LU content on it's way and will be watching the DLS eagerly.

Ben =)

Back