Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disc Hard Drive vs SSD Hard Drive

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

One thing to consider is your use model. I have been doing a lot of session creation lately. With my M.2 SSD switching back and forth between editor and driver seems to be 10 to 20 times faster. Could save you an hour or more in a long evening of wasting time on Trainz
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    One thing to consider is your use model. I have been doing a lot of session creation lately. With my M.2 SSD switching back and forth between editor and driver seems to be 10 to 20 times faster. Could save you an hour or more in a long evening of wasting time on Trainz
    As always the first consideration should be defining the requirements. Which is why although the question starts with SSD or Hard drive the discussion has tried to take other things into account.

Cheerio John

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

Keep your backups off your computer and uploaded into Google drive, Mega or OneDrive, for example. Just a suggestion, so you don't have to worry about drive failures.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

@johnwhelan
    I might put the Trainz software on a hard drive but the assets are better on an SSD. You don't need to worry about fragmentation. Since the cells are read directly then there is no advantage to placing them together.

This discussion has started me thinking about writes to the SSD in Trainz. I assume most of the computing in Trainz operation (eg. driving) is done in RAM memory and VRAM. But how many writes occur if your are editing a route or session? Do these go in the Build, or somewhere in tane.exe subdirectory? Right now, I have both the build and program on SSD. But I am beginning to wonder if this is the best approach for minimizing writes to the SSD. Maybe just the build should be there? Don't know.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    @johnwhelan
    I might put the Trainz software on a hard drive but the assets are better on an SSD. You don't need to worry about fragmentation. Since the cells are read directly then there is no advantage to placing them together.

This discussion has started me thinking about writes to the SSD in Trainz. I assume most of the computing in Trainz operation (eg. driving) is done in RAM memory and VRAM. But how many writes occur if your are editing a route or session? Do these go in the Build, or somewhere in tane.exe subdirectory? Right now, I have both the build and program on SSD. But I am beginning to wonder if this is the best approach for minimizing writes to the SSD. Maybe just the build should be there? Don't know.
    A complete layout with assets is fairly big but the .cdp of just the layout is quite small and that's basically what you are writing to the disk. I won't be concerned about the number of writes made to the SSD.

Cheerio John

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

I am thinking of getting a Western Digital Black 6TB disc hard drive, and 4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL Trident Z-64GB RAM

============================================

Is 16 Gb RAM good enough, and 32 Gb RAM would be complete overkill, and would be totally unnecessary and a waste of money ?

Would two internal 1TB Disc Type Hard Drives be better ?

One internal 1TB Disc Type Hard Drive devoted just only for the OS, and PC files, photos, documents, downloads, music etc, etc ?
    And the second internal 1TB Disc Type Hard Drive devoted only just for Trainz, route editing, asset editing, surveyor, CMP files, CDP downloads ?

I would think that a 3rd Hard Drive SSD could be just only devoted to running a single Trainz route session and would be faster performance and better framerates, and not be used for surveyor, nor CDP's, nor other downloads ? As if the SSD blew out, all you would lose is the 1 route Driver Session

I would think that an external Western Digital - MyBook, 1TB Disc Type Hard Drive, connected via USB cable, would be a slower bottlenecked data transfer when running Trainz

Last edited by MP242; September 24th, 2019 at 03:46 PM.
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

Apparently an SSD is quite a more stable/faster storage device, over that of physical disc hard drives ... There are amazing videos about SSD's on YouTube ... Completely Mind Blowing
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes a serious difference whether your playing the game on a HDD vs SSD. I and my co-worker at APKNite will be playing together, I will always spawn in a minute or two after he does, and the enemies always appear about 30 seconds later, and the voice acting is late too.
    my computer
    i7 6700k
    RTX 2070
    20 something gigs of ram
    HDD hard drive
    His computer
    i7 6700
    GTX 1070
    16 gigs of ram
    SSD with HDD secondary (the game is installed on SSD)