Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disc Hard Drive vs SSD Hard Drive

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

One thing to consider is your use model. I have been doing a lot of session creation lately. With my M.2 SSD switching back and forth between editor and driver seems to be 10 to 20 times faster. Could save you an hour or more in a long evening of wasting time on Trainz
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    One thing to consider is your use model. I have been doing a lot of session creation lately. With my M.2 SSD switching back and forth between editor and driver seems to be 10 to 20 times faster. Could save you an hour or more in a long evening of wasting time on Trainz
    As always the first consideration should be defining the requirements. Which is why although the question starts with SSD or Hard drive the discussion has tried to take other things into account.

Cheerio John

Blog Entries

Keep your backups off your computer and uploaded into Google drive, Mega or OneDrive, for example. Just a suggestion, so you don't have to worry about drive failures.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

@johnwhelan
    I might put the Trainz software on a hard drive but the assets are better on an SSD. You don't need to worry about fragmentation. Since the cells are read directly then there is no advantage to placing them together.

This discussion has started me thinking about writes to the SSD in Trainz. I assume most of the computing in Trainz operation (eg. driving) is done in RAM memory and VRAM. But how many writes occur if your are editing a route or session? Do these go in the Build, or somewhere in tane.exe subdirectory? Right now, I have both the build and program on SSD. But I am beginning to wonder if this is the best approach for minimizing writes to the SSD. Maybe just the build should be there? Don't know.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    @johnwhelan
    I might put the Trainz software on a hard drive but the assets are better on an SSD. You don't need to worry about fragmentation. Since the cells are read directly then there is no advantage to placing them together.

This discussion has started me thinking about writes to the SSD in Trainz. I assume most of the computing in Trainz operation (eg. driving) is done in RAM memory and VRAM. But how many writes occur if your are editing a route or session? Do these go in the Build, or somewhere in tane.exe subdirectory? Right now, I have both the build and program on SSD. But I am beginning to wonder if this is the best approach for minimizing writes to the SSD. Maybe just the build should be there? Don't know.
    A complete layout with assets is fairly big but the .cdp of just the layout is quite small and that's basically what you are writing to the disk. I won't be concerned about the number of writes made to the SSD.

Cheerio John

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

Post Deleted
    Last edited by MP242; August 7th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

Post Deleted
    Last edited by MP242; August 7th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes a serious difference whether your playing the game on a HDD vs SSD. I and my co-worker at APKNite will be playing together, I will always spawn in a minute or two after he does, and the enemies always appear about 30 seconds later, and the voice acting is late too.
    my computer
    i7 6700k
    RTX 2070
    20 something gigs of ram
    HDD hard drive
    His computer
    i7 6700
    GTX 1070
    16 gigs of ram
    SSD with HDD secondary (the game is installed on SSD)