Trainz the best ?

Easy ways to create routes. Large amounts of content dating ALL the way back to 2001. Easy to play (compared to MSTS/Open Rails and Railworks). Community dedicated to learning and maintaining Trainz. PBR unlike Railworks.

I haven't tried the current crop of Train sims but I did use MSTS.

For me its the flexibility. The game/simulator appeals on so many levels and is totally unlike any other software program I have seen Sure, it's target may be folk who like to run sessions or build their own world through Surveyor. But for me its the ability to create stuff in Trainz. There is nothing like the Wow factor when seeing a model you made appear in Trainz.

Another plus for flexibility, as both a Content Creator Route builder and Driver! I find it pretty amazing that Trainz can accommodate all interests reasonably well, OK not everything is perfect and it has it annoyances, most of which can be worked round but it's a lot more user friendly than the alternatives and has IMO a better and more flexible community.

My reasons:
1. easy to use
2. surveyor!;)
3. has tons of features that other games don't have (most that breaks the game than fixes) :hehe:
4. community maintained
5. you have the DLS for your needs
6. you can still get a box copy of the game while others aren't possible
7. with Trainz, anything is possible :D

And if you want more this thread basically gives you the Trainz experience https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?142981-Symptomz-of-Trainz-Addiction/page2 :D

Cheers

--- Trainz is the best because it is so easy to use (admitting there is a bit of a learning curve).

--- Surveyor! :clap:

--- Trainz seems much more user oriented. More "personal" if you will. The other sims seem so stiff and robotic. It's either play it THEIR way or not at all.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave

all of the above indeed, I have not tried any other train sim but I see from all your inputs I do not have to , we have it all. :Y: Personally I love playing around loading up and pulling heavy loads up steep gradients and messing around in general.
Not happy that one cannot edit stuff that one has paid for though.

I can not find another more fascinating Safe & Sane video game, or simulator, on the market, other than Trainz, as all the other competitors simulators seem very limited in scope, and are extremely difficult to operate, in surveyor editing, and route and asset creation is most difficult

Editing an 06 route in 06, and then importing it into TS12, then re-importing that 06 to TS12 route into T:ANE seems the best choice

Last edited:
Minority Report: I love Railworks and I love Trainz. Both for different reasons. I also hate Railworks and I hate Trainz for another set of reasons. They really are not the same, not competitors, certainly not adversaries. They are different. Only thing in common is what we all love all the time: Trains with or without a z. I have room for both on my computer. I wouldn't want to lose either.

Minority Report: I love Railworks and I love Trainz. Both for different reasons. I also hate Railworks and I hate Trainz for another set of reasons. They really are not the same, not competitors, certainly not adversaries. They are different. Only thing in common is what we all love all the time: Trains with or without a z. I have room for both on my computer. I wouldn't want to lose either.

Really, and your computer didn't catch on fire and melt? :D

That's great that you can enjoy both...

Surveyor and the ability to edit and reskin anything I want to within reason. I could never get on with t'other simulator and never use it these days.

Trainz is second to none for route building (though that is largely due to Transdem and not N3V), but it comes far down my list* when it comes to the driving experience. Whether it's the wonky physics, the generic sounds or the misted up view out the even more generic 15yo cab windows, it just doesn't cut it when it comes to actually running trains. Would temper that with the caveat it does do model railway style operation better than any of the other sims, but only because you can partly ignore the previous issues.

The List:
1. Run 8.
2. MSTS/Open Rails
3. Open BVE.
4. Railworks aka TS20xx.
5. Train Sim World.
6. Zusi 2.
7. Trainz.
8 World Of Subways.

All good points above.

And don't forget TransDEM when you want to make a real world prototypical layout for Trainz. It's amazing once you've learned how to use it.

Derek

Back