This is why this sim is so frustrating to me

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Two Tracks, one way each track, North and South, over 50 miles, absolutely NO junctions or switches, 4 small stations, 4 passenger consists (monorails) spaced evenly. Green lights all the way. Signals about every 4-6 miles apart, trains go marked speed limits okay (no problem there). But then after about two hours of play, the locomotives suddenly stop and will NOT go any more. Instead, the message "Waiting for access to track" appears. Okay--- you HAVE access... but the freaking locomotives absolutely REFUSE to go any more. Frustration with a capital "F"..... Why can't this be fixed??

Does this occur immediately or after running "for sometime"? I ask because there's an issue that N3V is aware of that I bug reported and the QA Team was working on relating to AI drivers stopping and waiting even though the route is wide open for them. This is due to a treading/code bug and nothing we do on our part.

Well he clearly says "after two hours", so we can be sure it's ok up to that point. So, presumably it's the same bug that's been reported?

Well he clearly says "after two hours", so we can be sure it's ok up to that point. So, presumably it's the same bug that's been reported?

That is the same bug. I saw that but got interrupted due to a phone call and forgot I read it. (doh!)

Pressing Pause, or exiting from the session after saving and returning to the save seems to "reset" the AI and make them work, but up to a point and this makes things sloggy and not all drivers come back to life. The signals also don't appear on, or sometimes remain red physically, causing spads as the AI passes by them as they ignore the signals. Eventually the signal wake up too, and everything comes to life.

Memory leak maybe?

I was told it maybe something else because during a debugging mode (They have the tools) problems with some of the data threads appears to be the issue.

Thanks John. I hope they fix this ASAP

We sure hope so. I haven't driven long enough recently to test in the Plus version to find out because I've been too busy with other things at the moment.

I was told it maybe something else because during a debugging mode (They have the tools) problems with some of the data threads appears to be the issue.
We sure hope so. I haven't driven long enough recently to test in the Plus version to find out because I've been too busy with other things at the moment.

I thought the PLUS version was only for TANE. Did I miss something??

After 2-3 days of trying to play this game, I'm done. I've got a few more assets to upload then I'm out of here. I don't need any frustration what with my heart condition.

I'll be just as happy playing American Truck Simulator. Until they fix the A.I trains, I'm finished.

I presume this frustration, is all due to AI, not following commands, or locking up ?

Trainz is not a real physical entity, and is in fact is merely just a visual computer cartoon video game illusion.

I have heard that some people have had 35 AI trains, all running, starting, and stopping, automatically, like computerized Swiss clockwork.
Running autonomously like a computer controlled CNC milling machine, robotically preforming thousands of exact functions.

I myself have used AI commands like: "Drive", "Just Drive", "Auto Pilot", "Drive To", "Drive Via", etc, etc.

But I have always found that AI, even when you have placed a carefully laid down path of breadcrumbs, (for the AI pigeons to follow), AI always seems to mess things up, stop at green signals, back up 1/2 mile, or choose it's own shortest route, all because AI "thinks" it knows what it is doing, but ends up doing something totally undesired than what you wanted it to do.

I prefer to drive a train manually, with hands on the cab controls, or by using keyboard commands. But when I do use AI, I place down thousands of yellow track Directional Markers, blocking (pointing towards a loco) at all undesired tracks, undesired crossover paths, or undesired switch paths, so that AI can not "make up" it's own path, all on a mind of it's own. Then AI has to take the exact path that you have laid down, and then AI can not throw undesired turnouts, going down an undesired track.

Back in the Conrail days, when things messed up, the dispatcher would issue a verbal radio transmission order to loco crews, instructing them to ignore a specific computerized controlled signal that would not turn green, as the autonomous robotic computerized plan, did not pan out exactly the way the computer wizz's on the 10th floor of railroad headquarters operations center had designed things to work, and their computer controlled real world AI environment was totally SNAFU and FUBAR.

AI is a complex computer algorithm, a series of bytes of 1's and 0's, and AI does exactly how it was programmed. AI can not fathom what a human being is, or what a train is, or what your computer cartoon video game illusion Trainz actually is. AI knows nothing about real world physical limitations, in fact the computer cartoon video game illusion Trainz, knows nothing about a physical locomotive nomenclature, as the locomotive you see as being so real, is not even real at all, as Trainz has no physical entity. AI is but a series of microseconds blurs of computer signals on your PC, and AI will absolutely not do exactly as you have told it to do. AI computes and stores an entire 10 hour driver session, in a mere few microseconds time, and is supposed to remember those commands hours, and days, and months, and years, later on. AI has no idea of why your locomotive and train is so painfully slow driving a route, taking an hour to drive, as opposed to AI which drove the entire 10 hour route in a microseconds time, and AI wonders why you are taking so long to arrive. If your train drove at the speed of AI, Trainz would be running at light speed.

Sometimes you just need to grab the "hands-on" the cab controls, and drive a train manually, or take over manual control, to bypass a bottleneck control choke point that refuses to function.

A jet aircraft can land itself using AI, but airline and military pilots always are ready to disengage the "Atto Pilot" should all things go drastically wrong at 500 mph, the same thing with your "Driverless" automobiles, sometimes a "human being" needs to take over control, or the AI controlled machine will crash itself into the tarmac, or a teleophone pole.

=================================

It seems that the Default track condition is set Globally to be the worst condition: "the absolute WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST, Globally, over all, the entire route". :'(

This just doesn't make any sense at all, to Program the Global Default design of the simulator, Default track condition to be: "absolutely the WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST track condition" !

It seems to be just a "Ludicrous, Back Asswardsly" design, (not logically thinking beforehand), to design things Globally, absolutely backwardsly Wrong, the: "absolute WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST Global track condition".

Any programmer, in their right logically properly thinking mind, would instead inversely design the game simulator program to be by the Default: "BEST, SMOOTHEST track condition".

The whole overall design plan, of setting the Default Global track condition, to be the condition: "absolute WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST", just absolutely does not make any logical sense, at all !

Akin to: "If you were a toilet seat manufacturer, and you thought very, very, long and hard, about all of the many, many, possible manufacturing choices, and then ludicrously designed ALL the toilet seats that you manufacture, for the entire world, to be a rough gravel, and broken glass bits, encrusted, most painful toilet seat, so that it hurts EVERYONE'S buttocks, worldwide, and gives them ALL, everyone worldwide, absolutely as much pain as possible, by Default". Most people worldwide, when choosing and buying a toilet seat, actually, they would like things to be smooth, By Default. :cool: I do not wish, to have to: "get out the grinder/sander, and sand down, and polish my toilet seat to be smoothe", "and hand customize, my own toilet seat, to be SMOOTHE", when inversely, my toilet seat should have been designed to be SMOOTHE, in the first place !

If it were designed correctly, to be by Default, the: "BEST, SMOOTHEST track condition", then a user could hand select only the choicest special certain places (like turnout frogs) to be the: WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST track condition. And that makes total logical sense to design things correctly.

Spock (Leonard Nimoy, with his absolute logical mind) would absolutely NOT approve, of the Trainz Default track Global condition setting, to be the absolute worst possible condition: "the absolute WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST, Globally, over all the entire route" !

Any new novice, purchasing this simulator, for the first time, and running it, would think out loud: "OMG, What the heck were they thinking when they programmed and designed this simulator": "all ludicrously, backwardsly, wrong" ?

Perhaps the game default track condition: "absolute WORST, ROUGHEST, BUMPIEST", could be totally, inversely re-programmed correctly, to be the Default: "BEST SMOOTHEST, track condition", in the next hot-fix update release ?

Last edited:
I run Tane SP4 beta, TS12 and sometimes TS10. Not moving on to 2019, cannot justify the cost.
When I am running AI on routes I use simple signalling, not prototypical. Just have a signal before and after a turnout or crossover and every so often on main tracks for spacing trains. I have all my main lines as dual track with direction arrows. I modify routes heavily to to get smooth running. I have a modified Philskeen route with a large steel works. There are 15 locos in this section, bringing bulk products, serving 4 steel furnaces, serving 3 plate mills and delivering finished product around the whole route. I almost never need to get involved with them.
I use very few trackmarks, mainly to position trains once they arrive at their destination.
I don't use signals in yards, a number of locos will work happily together using line of sight. The only signals used on a yard are guarding the exit to main lines. There are no entry signals to cause locos to baulk because another unit is in the yard.
I have had up to 40 locos working at the same time on larger routes, running for many hours at a time. I work as a despatcher, making sure things keep moving.
I do drive a loco sometimes, but driving puts me to sleep on longer runs. Good for fixing insomnia sometimes.
Like you Dave, I also spend time in American Trucks Simulator, Farming Simulator 15 and 17 as I am wheelchair bound and have a lot of spare time. I also had open heart surgery 9 years ago and these games keep me stimulated.
Cheers,
Mike

When Trainz is absolutely driving you bonkers, don't just give it up. When Trainz is an absolutely painful frustration, and is becoming a painful chore, you need to get a grip on the grande overall scheme of things, and "think outside the box". And just run Trainz manually, set up trackside rotating camera(s) positioned down low, at a human FOV viewpoint of 5' 8" height, and railfan Trainz in #3 camera mode, growling by at 1-5 mph switching speeds, and get all the enjoyment of the fantastic grunting, groaning, and squealing wheel flange, railjoint, frog sounds, truck and drawbar sound effects, and just enjoy the crashing coupler sound effects, with air hose gladhands popping. When one gets way too overly technical, and becomes totally obsessed with futaly slaving over computer remote controlled autonomous AI, it can take all the simple wonderful fun aspects out of the game. The simulator is here for you to have great fun with it :cool: Enjoy it !

Last edited:
I’m
I run Tane SP4 beta, TS12 and sometimes TS10. Not moving on to 2019, cannot justify the cost.
When I am running AI on routes I use simple signalling, not prototypical. Just have a signal before and after a turnout or crossover and every so often on main tracks for spacing trains. I have all my main lines as dual track with direction arrows. I modify routes heavily to to get smooth running. I have a modified Philskeen route with a large steel works. There are 15 locos in this section, bringing bulk products, serving 4 steel furnaces, serving 3 plate mills and delivering finished product around the whole route. I almost never need to get involved with them.
I use very few trackmarks, mainly to position trains once they arrive at their destination.
I don't use signals in yards, a number of locos will work happily together using line of sight. The only signals used on a yard are guarding the exit to main lines. There are no entry signals to cause locos to baulk because another unit is in the yard.
I have had up to 40 locos working at the same time on larger routes, running for many hours at a time. I work as a despatcher, making sure things keep moving.
I do drive a loco sometimes, but driving puts me to sleep on longer runs. Good for fixing insomnia sometimes.
Like you Dave, I also spend time in American Trucks Simulator, Farming Simulator 15 and 17 as I am wheelchair bound and have a lot of spare time. I also had open heart surgery 9 years ago and these games keep me stimulated.
Cheers,
Mike
I’m the complete opposite, I’ve never used A1 , just drive manually , although I mostly am into narrow gauge which is nearly all single tracks and can easily be controlled by one person. I never have really got into extended driving even when I had a model railroads , building is the main attraction for me. I can appreciate the attraction of doing dispatching if you have lots of time as building can be hard on the arms and neck as is so repetitive .

Willing to bet this won't be patched for a long time. Congrats N3V, you just chased off one of your most iconic players and community members.

So all we have to do is threaten to leave and N3V will immediately drop everything else they are working on to deal with just one issue? Should we all do the same for all the other outstanding issue?

There are lots of things that I would like to see fixed in Trainz, some going back many, many years, but I accept that my "pet issues" are not high on everyone's list of priorities and N3V has more important issues that they are working on. The AI problem is one issue that is not high on my list (but I appreciate that it is for others) because, like some other posters in this thread, I seldom use it.

But why do so many people continue to believe that the "I" in "AI" stands for Intelligence?

Willing to bet this won't be patched for a long time. Congrats N3V, you just chased off one of your most iconic players and community members.

Dave will be back, just needs to take a time out, frustration happens to most of us at some time.

hope he comes back, a lot of like his work that he has done. Please dave come back.

Last edited:
Dave will be back, just needs to take a time out, frustration happens to most of us at some time.

Yes. Is good to have a break as it clears the ole brain from frustration and disappointment when things are not running to plan.

This may or may not help, but trackmarks are the holy grail in helping to keep the AI doing their job. I pop extra tm's down and add them to each specific driver where necessary. Perhaps try this in the meantime till a patch fix? (If you have not added trackmarks already that is :) )

Back