Best Trainz Version ( v2 )

T:ANE and TRS2019, as they're able to work with larger routes in a more stable way.

In terms of lifetime "best" probably TS2010 as it had all the accumulated content plus TC1 & 2 all in one bundle. It also marked the start of the move towards more prototype simulation (though we are still some way off that!!).

Runner up has to be TRS2019 - it gave us the graphic improvement originally promised with TANE and is really (despite my signature) the goto version for present day use of the game.

Hard to say. After using MSTS I was blown away with the original Trainz (circa 2002, not in your list). It was in a different league to the competition... I could create my own route!

I have had TRS2019 for only a month or so, but I'm quite impressed. Certainly the best 'out of the gates' release ever. By that I mean prior to a Service Pack issue.

TRS 2006 SP1 is the release I remember most fondly, and the one with the greatest longevity for me.

Appears there is an echo ?

Last edited:
In terms of lifetime "best" probably TS2010 as it had all the accumulated content plus TC1 & 2 all in one bundle. It also marked the start of the move towards more prototype simulation (though we are still some way off that!!).

Runner up has to be TRS2019 - it gave us the graphic improvement originally promised with TANE and is really (despite my signature) the goto version for present day use of the game.
I must admit I really liked 2010 for the reasons you give, so much great content, I really miss some items that are no longer usable, however, I don't miss its lengthy database rebuilds! No doubt 2019 will be the best once it has enough new materials that will allow one to make routes from all eras and areas, and disappearing PBR layers are sorted , but at the moment, I'm sticking with TANE as the best all rounder ( although after seeing what's its done to the textures in an older route I was looking at yesterday, I sometimes have my doubts....)

TS2009 World Builder Edition was what got me into being an enthusiastic user of the Trainz simulator and it was where I cut my teeth on building my own routes. I made the jump after that to TS2012 and despite its foibles I'm still using it. I do have to say though TS2012 had the worst selection of bundled routes in my opinion. I've never used TS2006 or TS2010, but I did have a little play with TS2004 on a couple of occasions. I have a copy of TC3 which still gets the dust blown off it occasionally.

I'm still at the stage of being love/hate with TS2019. I archived my TANE install after getting TS2019 which at least shows that I was impressed by it at the time. I've updated some of my favorite TS2004 routes into TS2019 which really transformed them, but in some aspects which have been much discussed here in the forums TS2019 still has an unfinished quality about it.

I wish I can say all are good :)

But since the OP only wants 2 of the best, I got to say UTC (that's what got me into this world of Trainz), and TRS2006 as from an upgrade from UTC, it was a changer.

But I still got to say, all versions of Trainz are fun to play it

Cheers

Back