Small Tipple/loader, Looking for

klambert

Ca Plane Pour Moi
Hi There

I'm looking for a small tipple/loader thing similar to the one illustrated below:

6231661721_c1ba785200_b.jpg

I've had a look at a few of the TPR and the Elkhorn tipples that are closeish but have conveyors attached, making them unsuitable for squeezing inbetween sidings like this example, (without those conveyors/pipes, they'd be very close!) also jkeenans generic bulk loader is rather too big. I'm sure it'd be a simple thing to make however I have so many other small simple things to make for my North Woolwich route, this would be one less item.

Last edited:
Not exactly what you want, but worth a look at

<kuid2:87145:28069:1> Grain Elevator 1
<kuid:135229:100122> grain elevator 1 (without track)
<kuid2:517519:27006:1> RI Grain Unloader
<kuid:439337:100872> Industrial Rail Loading Silo
<kuid2:439337:100873:1> Industrial Rail Loading Silo 1
<kuid:128184:27002> trsilo

There are some silos by alcaron on the DLS but I am not sure of their size
search for AS-Silo

Looks to be a rather simple build, Could i have an exact location for the loadout so i can try to find sum more pic's of it please.
Mick.

Looks to be a rather simple build, Could i have an exact location for the loadout so i can try to find sum more pic's of it please.
Mick.

Hi Mick,

Unfortunately it no longer exists, the location is Silvertown London. Although for scale, I'd suggest downloading the PIA Polybulk wagon (the wagons in this pic) https://www.auran.com/DLS/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=201341.
Im currently on a long weekend away from my computer but I can give you the ground dimensions and a rough estimate of the height, by Tuesday if that helps.

Last edited:
Just a quick knock up and render to texture with a material close to what i think the real one looked like but how does this look for size
2019-09-01-101920.jpg

The Silo I have here is 26x23 and 102 ft high and by looking at your image again maybe I have mine too high, But I'll wait till ya home again and can supply the basic measurements you have on it, I did try to go into google earth and back date it to 1975 like Norm suggested but the slider kept going back to 1945 lol.
Cheers Mick.

Just a quick knock up and render to texture with a material close to what i think the real one looked like but how does this look for size

The Silo I have here is 26x23 and 102 ft high and by looking at your image again maybe I have mine too high, But I'll wait till ya home again and can supply the basic measurements you have on it, I did try to go into google earth and back date it to 1975 like Norm suggested but the slider kept going back to 1945 lol.
Cheers Mick.

Ah yeah the UK seems to occupy a Google Earth black spot between 1945 and 1999.

The ground dimensions are 4.3 by 7.1m and about 13m tall.

The ground dimensions are 4.3 by 7.1m and about 13m tall.

Ok cool I'll check the one I made above and adjust to those dimensions. Ok with a 4.3 x 7.1 and 13m high I get sum
thing like this compared to the one I made last weekend
r2.jpg

The green and yellow planes in front of the silo being roughly the dimensions you gave me, I think the one in your first post above is way bigger then the dimensions offered.

Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
Hmm that is interesting,

My dimensions are based on estimations informed by the Elkhorn tipple minus conveyer but with the additional railshed, and I've estimated an additional 2 metres to the height tipple itself and an additional metre to the length and width. I've placed the tipple as a dummy as illustrated below. Coupled with Marky7890's industrial shed spline. Far from accurate, but mostly to act as a space filler, until something better is found.

Comparing with the original photo though, I think the tipple needs to be taller than my original suggestion of 15m.

M4JXeOd.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the tower it is roughly 5 times the height of the railcars. Mick's is around 7 times.
Cheers,
Mike

I thought i had mine a bit too tall Mike so over the weekend I'll adjust the height and I might also shrink the width a tad too.
Mick.

Looking at the tower it is roughly 5 times the height of the railcars. Mick's is around 7 times.
Cheers,
Mike

I'd say about 4 times higher. Reason being, the area I'm modelling has a rather low relief industrial landscape, the most prominent feature being the Tate and Lyle works. I can see this being a very versatile model, tried to do some more research into this tipple, but very little exists, I reckon it's some sort of sugar loader for the nearby Tate and Lyle Sugar refinery.

Big thanks for helping me Matruck and apologies about coming off as picky.

I'd say about 4 times higher. Reason being, the area I'm modelling has a rather low relief industrial landscape, the most prominent feature being the Tate and Lyle works. I can see this being a very versatile model, tried to do some more research into this tipple, but very little exists, I reckon it's some sort of sugar loader for the nearby Tate and Lyle Sugar refinery.

Big thanks for helping me Matruck and apologies about coming off as picky.

No need to apologise at all mate but how's about I quickly send thru the one I made and you can see what you think of it's over all size and we can go from there plus I would like to add sum more detail as I think I can see a ladder on the far side of the actual silo, Plus I think they would of unloaded the rail car's in that lean too which is the track in your picture with the wagons on it and then I'd imagine the product goes under ground up a elevator and into the silo for unloading into Trucks beneath the large square silo how doe's that sound ?.
Cheers Mick.:)

Back