revisiting the Timber Ridge line .

a few more shots of the coal branch now I've worked on it a bit more, trouble is, this older section in these shots has bare patches from when old textures have obsoleted. I keep on covering them up and then find more later on , most annoying .......:(
Akh6ffv.jpg

AvENHsp.jpg

ylLJOHw.jpg

4G7ofqF.jpg

mR4UXwP.jpg

You can see a bare patch here and I've gone over this section 3 times so far.....
5XcgwqQ.jpg

ZPCQouZ.jpg

From here on, trackside needs more work.......engine is one of Paulz trains creations ....

Dangavel,
The trestle is spectacular, as are the other shots. If you made the screenshots black and white they'd be close to period photographs. They look wonderful!

Your judicious placement of extra boards is a very nice touch, as those precipitous drop-offs in the distance do detract from the immersion factor. Your distance shots are showing off the terrain very nicely.

The route and additions look so good. I have to admit that even the "bare patches" that you noted were not detected by me. I must have stared at that screen shot for a good five minutes and never spotted anything that looked wrong. So, having said that, you really must be doing something right!

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to your completed product. To me, it looks completed already - it's showing off your talent and attention to detail.

Heinrich505

Been working on one of the merged sections between Screed, Dire junction -which connects to Como and Krool pass on the way to Ironton. This is the last section that needs a lot of work. it began as arid scrub but has mutated into mostly Ponderosa Pine lightly forested hills. The river next to the track feeds into the main river that is shown in the last lot of pics of the high trestles. The original Timber Ridge had very few waterways, now there are quite a lot, which makes more sense as most mountainous terrain has rivers and creeks .
AFHmwW8.jpg

overview of Dire Junction area, the route to the left leads to Ironton ( which is about 2 miles long and still to be completed) via Krool Pass, the top right line leads to Como and Tollume. On the bottom right is the line to Screed .
5QUtxLM.jpg

During times of high traffic , even RGS stock was pressed into service as the DRGW had control over the Rio Grande Southern . the Timber Ridge sub functioned as a feeder line, linking to various Colorado New Mexico narrow gauge routes.
cUQrDP7.jpg

Near Screed , where the river feeds into the river that runs to Prosper.
suUS9mV.jpg

Leaving the hamlet of Dobro, which contains a ladder and barrel works as well a sand mine.
8Mbofwd.jpg

ole number 203, some of these fine locos lasted until the late 1940s

Altho i stated that I'd stopped extending the route, i have added another 10 boards as the line after ironton just ended in the middle of nowhere. I'm in the process of building a terminus with a sizeable town and with several more major industries, but meanwhile here's a few pics of the line after Ironton, the final climb on the route. Not completed ...
but getting there.
IPOK7SZ.jpg

this stretch is similar territory to Osier on the Cumbres and Toltec.
htQbIXt.jpg

1jq5bIR.jpg

five trestles and a ruling grade of 6%
FBEnvqL.jpg

Altho i stated that I'd stopped extending the route, i have added another 10 boards as the line after ironton just ended in the middle of nowhere. I'm in the process of building a terminus with a sizeable town and with several more major industries, but meanwhile here's a few pics of the line after Ironton, the final climb on the route. Not completed ...
but getting there.

LOL, No one is saying that you have to stop but I'm getting mighty old and I'd hate to kickoff without getting to travel this version of Timber Ridge Line and the Unitah Railway. ;)

LOL, No one is saying that you have to stop but I'm getting mighty old and I'd hate to kickoff without getting to travel this version of Timber Ridge Line and the Unitah Railway. ;)

I'm getting old too, so I'll do my best to get this one completed within the next month :)

Dangavel,
It looks spectacular, especially the long vistas! :Y: I really love the details. Everything looks so right. Great work.

Heinrich505

Just stopping in to check out your Route

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dangavel
Although i stated that I'd stopped extending the route, i have added another 10 boards as the line after Ironton just ended in the middle of nowhere. I'm in the process of building a terminus with a sizeable town and with several more major industries, but meanwhile here's a few pics of the line after Ironton, the final climb on the route. Not completed ...
but getting there.

Well Sir Dan Gavel,,

Looks to me like you had another Epiphany there, and I have to say, I enjoy looking at serene and inviting pictures shown by the Master Artist.

And you have the knack for using just the Right color Sky Cloud Themes in your Route...........

Take care ole friend,

I'm hitting the Road early tomorrow, going to visit my Grand kid whose in 2nd year of College for Thanksgiving, only bad part, we have huge Winter Storm, barreling down from Alaska, with Snow, Rain and some Winds, but California, well a good part of the West Coast here is Bone Dry, similar to your Route, so will take whatever we can get, and they say, our rainfall will be less than normal, not good for our Trees......

The key is defensive and slow but steady drive and get there safely.....Some 400 miles from my area.......

Enjoy your week,, you as always made my day....Thank you for sharing....

Dangavel,
Great shots as always! The grade in that last shot looks significant - hence the need for two engines. I really like the detail in the dry gully.

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Great shots as always! The grade in that last shot looks significant - hence the need for two engines. I really like the detail in the dry gully.

Heinrich505
This trestle is around 4% and the grade steepens gradually to nearly 5% , it's not as steep as Tollume pass , or as extensive but it's a pull with a decent load. The route now has about 9 mainline steep climbs , it's much more challenging than the old timber ridge as I've pulled the terrain up a lot so it would be a more interesting drive.

so , I've been working on the terminus town past Ironton, as yet un-named, and its become rather large
FcpzKc5.jpg

UjSo7BC.jpg

getting the street grid right is the hardest thing to do with towns, this has taken a lot of time and concentration, just added another loading spur on the far right , for one thing to make it worth while doing details in streets a fair way away fro the main line , I've added more light industries to fill in the empty space and also to give users more things to do . :)
C3y5IW2.jpg

i keep on adding more features ..... its probably about 70% completed.
jpdlA7m.jpg

3spmn6b.jpg

7HYAxqI.jpg

zdPSV7O.jpg

we are having to do more babysitting as my daughters back is acting up, so not as much time to spare this month and going on holiday next week , so v doubtful this will be completed by xmas, early new year hopefully.

Last edited:
Dangavel,
The town really looks authentic. Your overhead shots give a good accounting of all the work you are pouring into this. I think the park is a neat addition. You might want to put a little more air in the Buick's tires though - they look a little low. :hehe:

The train yard, turntable, and roundhouse with all those engine stalls really caught my eye though, along with that spectacular coaling tower. It's going to be great fun working that yard - I'm really looking forward to it.

Sorry to hear of your daughter's back problems. Don't feel pressured on all this. We will wait, and your work on this is clearly worth waiting for. It looks wonderful!

Heinrich505

Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

A prayer is being said for your Daughters Back issues, very sorry to hear about that.

:D Your pictures look astounding as always, however take whatever time you need to help your Daughter in time of need, that comes above all else.

Take care ole friend......:wave:

Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

A prayer is being said for your Daughters Back issues, very sorry to hear about that.

:D Your pictures look astounding as always, however take whatever time you need to help your Daughter in time of need, that comes above all else.

Take care ole friend......:wave:

not to worry Blue, its not too bad , picking up a baby can put a bit of a strain on the back, shes a bit better already. we just step in to make sure its not going to get worse.

near Ironton
g7A4REY.jpg

Ironton
iRCEQ1c.jpg
leaving Ironton (for those who were worried about the defects, I've now fixed the disappearing road and the wonky fences and added opening gates for security for the power works. )
8EN687O.jpg

climbing out of ironton

gwPvmMr.jpg

j0GAX0F.jpg

I've been working on the new terminus town a lot, its nearing completion, added a few new things ,more shots to follow.

Last edited:
:D Klingerton, Klingerville, Klingerburg, etc etc.

I like Klingerville, don't think there's any "ville's" on the route.
but I must spell it right , don't want it to come out as Klingon-ville :) as then I'll have call in Spock to sort things out.

Back