revisiting the Timber Ridge line .

here you go in case you missed it on Jan thread, grab them whilst you can , i am only using the rocky mountain sets and am working on the route in TANE SP3 .
RELEASE OF previous JVC PAYWARE (2010-2016), first release (the next will be next thursday at 5:00 pm CET).
================================================== ==========================

Pls. note:

1. The payware was made for TANE, TRS 10 and TRS 12, and some of it MAY work in TRS 19
2. If you want to upgrade it, refer to me as the original creator. You may change the logo.
3. I have not time to assist if you want to upgrade/fix the content, you are on your own, so pls don't send any requests for help
4. You may upload the upgraded/fixed content to DLS, remember to change the 'licence' to freeware (from payware)
5. You may NOT sell the content but you can use it as content in a payware route/layout
6. Pls do only download once and save it on your device/cloud
7. Enjoy if you got it to work...

THE CONTENT (click links to download), available for approx. 48 hours.
================================================== ======
For TS10&12 Only ST-2 PACK LINK
For TS10&12 Only ST-3 PACK LINK
For TS10&12 Only ST-4 PACK LINK

For TANE only (some of it may work in TRS19) RM-1 Rocky mountain PACK 1 LINK
For TANE only (some of it may work in TRS19) RM-2 Rocky mountain PACK 2 LINK

To be continued next thursday...

regards, Jan

Hi,

Very nice looking route. I had it under TRS2004 and look forward to getting both of the versions mentioned in this thread.

Don't forget you can use the Bulk asset update and replace panel to replace ground textures too. Leave the "Replace ground texture roatation and scale" option unchecked and the new texture inherits those from the old texture.

William

yeah its very useful, i'll have to be careful tho as some areas have complex blends which may look cruddy when textures are changed so will only do it in sections , not the whole route.

worked on the Tollume Pass section and then ran some trains.
iV9SA86.jpg

Ppfd4cz.jpg

V4uPThj.jpg

pTVorKv.jpg

CbMX7bI.jpg

the route gradually moves from Cumbres and Toltec Tanglefoot curve type vegetation to more lush Aspen Spruce country with denser forest. I am glad i did work on the Cumbres and Toltec for about a year as its really helpful when it comes to working on this route as i have lots of textures from that route ready to use here. The advantage is, its much less of a Herculean task to compete this route than a really big route like the C&T

ToXU12Q.jpg

H4sxYwR.jpg

still some more vegetation to add in parts of this section but it close to completion . i love the aspen group i'm using as it covers up spaces really well and is very easy to use on steep ground, I wish there was a 'confirm to ground height " option to use with groups of grass and trees as it could save thousands of hours by route builders getting each item to be close to or below uneven ground.
08ebHQi.jpg

rTTI5ft.jpg

9SHiXtO.jpg

I have added some mines at Tollume to make it actually worth going there , the logging alone didnt seem enough to warrant all that work on the line:) trees are JVC rm collection . Lots more to do on this snowy section as its a bit boring at the moment.Sadly there's a dearth of US snow covered objects apart from the Rollins Pass items which aren't on the DLS . I have considered raising the very last section past Tollume itself so its at true snow height and removing some of the snow covering lower down the route as without snow covered objects its not all that convincing.

Last edited:
I added a dam to make the last part of the snow covered route more interesting and will throw in a few other things on this bit of the line. I also am going to swop the trees over to ?winter trees as they give a better frame rate and look better overall as the jvc winter trees are so snow heavy they cannot be seen very well on a snowy background.
tdFo5Wc.jpg

Last edited:
Dangavel,
The bridge shots are great. Your work is really looking fantastic! :Y:

At this point, I can't tell if I like the snow scene shots more than the non-snow scene shots - they are both so nice-looking. The long trestle shots are pretty amazing.

I guess I missed the time frame for the JVC Rocky Mountain release though. Doggone real life - it was a busy week. I'll have to make sure I check next Thursday.

Which engines were you using in the above shots? They really fit the scene nicely. Really wonderful work on this route!

Heinrich505

Thanks. The 2-8-2 Mikado with the snow plow in D&RGW livery looks stellar! The cab levers don't seem to work in TRS19 but no matter - I'll drive using the sliders.

All those Togog machines are fab and gear ( as the Beatles would have said :)
I've completed Tollume Wye, added three mines and extra sidings to store mine cars.
Pwb2COz.jpg

Z9e0gMc.jpg

miners houses and new station
IY0higN.jpg

all mines will load and have a level of interactivity , I've combined several in two cases.
uzsUiDn.jpg

snow scenes are a new challenge and I've found it a pleasant novelty to work on the 'big whiteout" after all that Uintah dry arid condition....
irVmZzR.jpg

I'm afraid these poor passengers are not dressed for these conditions, but its such a neat station they will just have to freeze for the present .

oZJhg0s.jpg

1ZXZ1HW.jpg

I've got a suggestion for you: Take bendorsey's dual gauge 'Alamosa_Coal_Tipple', <KUID2:210518:300544:1>, and use it to refuel both the 36 inch and 30 inch gauge locomotives at the town at the other end of the route from Tollume. It'll require changing the kuids for the track used on it, but I managed to pull it off myself.

Dangavel,
Superb work and excellent screenshots. You've captured the look and feel of the area so nicely. Tollume looks fantastic! I was getting chills just checking out the snowy details in your shots. That small diesel engine crew must be freezing. I saw them looking enviously at the steamer next to them with the built-in heating element, also known as a giant boiler and firebox.

The mines look perfect - the scenery compliments their placement. Trees really fit the scene. That the mines are interactive is just icing on the cake. :Y:

What a wonderful job!

Heinrich505

With a little help , I got prowlers K 27's to work nicely so gave them a run on this section which i worked on recently,
Z38mxA7.jpg

fDlH3xy.jpg

IA1VqLa.jpg

i tried to make a decent transition from one climate mode to another here....
ApPoWlB.jpg

this is rivaling the Uintah grade wise, around 7%
P1MvIRl.jpg

this view would have looked pretty awful when the boards were only one across , three allows one to not see the edges , just the terrain.
pVAkruw.jpg

Its interesting that one of the two survivors of this class is the rather accident prone 463 , perhaps it survived because it had more new parts ! . As regards the route, this section still needs more work as it contains a lot of very sharp terrain edges and is lacking track side grass .......
CNR4bWZ.jpg

also added a river at the bottom of the valley
A36Q4yX.jpg

again ,this section needs more work
n0ondc4.jpg

here the glacial river ends and runs freely. i was going to post some snow shots of the new river but it has lots of trees sitting in it at the moment that i didn't delete !:hehe:

Last edited:
The shear vastness of your imminence route dramatically shows, due to it have so many, many, baseboards in width ! I am guessing that you have at least 7 baseboards, on each side of the tracks (a total of 14 baseboards wide) ?

The shear vastness of your imminence route dramatically shows, due to it have so many, many, baseboards in width ! I am guessing that you have at least 7 baseboards, on each side of the tracks (a total of 14 baseboards wide) ?

No, not more than three wide, and most of it is two or three, its mostly due to hill placement as I've been fairly cautious about making too much excess space with no route in it. , the view from the start of the pass has a very long section stretching away form the pass going to a town , thus giving more depth , when it gets to the town in the far distance there's only one board between it and the edge of the route, but as its on the flat , you cant see the edge .

I've got a suggestion for you: Take bendorsey's dual gauge 'Alamosa_Coal_Tipple', <KUID2:210518:300544:1>, and use it to refuel both the 36 inch and 30 inch gauge locomotives at the town at the other end of the route from Tollume. It'll require changing the kuids for the track used on it, but I managed to pull it off myself.
It's something I'll consider, but I 'm also looking at adding several sections from a freelance route I made several years ago and merging them into various points of the route, this contains a 10 board iron ore mine with a steep climb into arid hills that I'll tack on before Tollume pass, a steelworks and power plant section, and a couple of decent towns with various terminus features that I made too. I'm seeing what I can add onto the various portal dead ends , a lot of it depends on the heights of the various sections . I don't want it to get too time consuming as I also want to keep on making the uintah but I also want to make use of the decent bits that weren't stuffed up by moving the route into TANE which more or less necessitates retexturing huge swaths of ground as so many ground textures were obsoleted. it all depends on how much work is needed to pull it off as I don't want theses decent bits to go to waste but I also don't want to spend six months working on the timber ridge.

well i did the merge and it worked out quite well. steelworks and open cut mine are now part of the timber ridge line ! just driving it, frame rates have dipped a bit , i have to remove and replace a lot of things, but I think it will be an interesting route, even if a bit uneven in its techniques, i can always update the things i dont like gradually. some screenshots to come later on today !

Dangavel,
The screenshots are great! I love what you've done with the place. It really shines. Tree selection really looks nice. I think your transition between climates is very believeable. It is subtle but noticeable. There is an art to doing that right, and I think you've captured it well.

I'm also excited about your merge and the added interest and enjoyment that will bring. As MP242 noted above, your use and placement of added baseboards to draw out the view and disguise the "edge of the world" really create long vistas and enhance the scenic value of the views by adding depth. This has a telling positive effect on immersion. Very well done!

Heinrich505

well here we go ....
Ive merged the three sections and changed one of them to 30 inch gauge to join the rest of the route at redtop.
here's the new timber ridge map.
lzuuUDV.jpg

greenhills and area are now part of the 30 inch empire
cFIEQFG.jpg

greenhills.
PS427Pg.jpg

i made this very extensive logging area . now 30 inch gauge.
OBmRklC.jpg

the greenhills section joins onto the rest of the 30 inch gauge empire at redtop. this needs a bit of minor join work.

the first 36 inch merge is joined just outside como, where there was a portal.
x1euKEM.jpg

at Dire junction the route goes upwards to Ironton and down to Prosper and Screed gorge, this whole section was stuffed up by the move to TANE and contains a lot of rogue textures that all have to be replaced.
xk4qFc6.jpg

ironton, which only needs a minor bit of texture replacement, it will be a nice trip to take ore ( Lime and iron ) from the open cut via Como to here !
VA2uD2i.jpg

Silo , halfway through Screed gorge , the giant wedge in the background is tollume, which is about 800 feet higher then this section , i dunno what i can do with that little section to make that blend without doing a lot more board work !!!!! :-(
pp8WWLc.jpg

the bottom half of screed gorge , looking towards the distant town of Prosper. Some of these textures may be able to be saved , others need to go as they look hideous, but in general its not too much of a task to do relatively quickly

Last edited:
more timber ridge stuff.

Prosper , where I more or less fixed the textures yesterday .
ejv92A7.jpg

this is a fairly big town with a few industries .
mjLNkTC.jpg

rG4mmpT.jpg

Ltansmw.jpg

the view towards Prosper.
MQ42uEI.jpg

Screed junction.

The mining section, this whole section leading from the badlands to the open cut mines needs extensive rebuilding and texturing , but its quite short, and i intend to make it relatively easy to do .
PNpOCjB.jpg

this is the junction leading to the mines, there will need to be a wye here.
DjqwZXd.jpg

eZC2DeC.jpg

to the mines !!!!! going to add some tunnels here , you can see how I've dropped the terrain on the other side so it blends in with the route on the plains.

4HB1v45.jpg

The open cut Iron ore mine and limestone mine.
So that's it. so much for a quick fix, but it will be nice to see these sections not go to waste ,as the middle bit of the old route I made had serious design problems that needed a huge amount of work and i could not be motivated to do the deed.

Good Heavens, klinger would never recognize the place! For a quick update this seems to have become a majorish project. :D Mission creep they call it. :hehe:

One of my favorite things about multi-gauge railroads is the interchange of goods between gauges. jordon412's suggestion is an example of where, when a single railroad controls both gauges, they can share infrastructure. Most routes seem to lean toward the various gauges being operated by separate companies but klinger's TRL has a dual gauge roundhouse and, even with the addition of the 30" gauge line, seems to be all run by one company. Very interesting compared to other routes. :D

The area that jordon712 refers to, Glenview, is clearly in need of interchange development. While there are some docks for the exchange of packaged goods there is little for the exchange of grain, ores, lumber, timber, or liquids nor was there much at the other end of the 30" line. Lots of possibilities. :D

bendorsey did a number of structures for the exchange of ore between various gauges, most of which I haven't seen in use. Hopefully you will find some of them useful.

And, only slightly off topic, coming soon to a DLS near you

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The only caboose that prowler901 authorized to be repainted and shared. (I'd love to do his short cabooses)

Edit: <sigh> Why is it that after taking dozens of pictures of these cabooses I only see the mistake after I post one on the forum? :hehe: Expect an update to the Denver & Rio Grande cabooses soon(tm).:eek:

Last edited:
Good Heavens, klinger would never recognize the place! For a quick update this seems to have become a majorish project. :D Mission creep they call it. :hehe:

One of my favorite things about multi-gauge railroads is the interchange of goods between gauges. jordon412's suggestion is an example of where, when a single railroad controls both gauges, they can share infrastructure. Most routes seem to lean toward the various gauges being operated by separate companies but klinger's TRL has a dual gauge roundhouse and, even with the addition of the 30" gauge line, seems to be all run by one company. Very interesting compared to other routes. :D

The area that jordon712 refers to, Glenview, is clearly in need of interchange development. While there are some docks for the exchange of packaged goods there is little for the exchange of grain, ores, lumber, timber, or liquids nor was there much at the other end of the 30" line. Lots of possibilities. :D

bendorsey did a number of structures for the exchange of ore between various gauges, most of which I haven't seen in use. Hopefully you will find some of them useful.

).:eek:

The route is like Topsy, it just growed ! I was tempted by my older route, still no surprise , I do things like this all the time .
Interchange is something i was considering , I was going to keep the 36 inch gauge from Greenhills and run along mixed track to Glenview but then was wondering about transfer of goods, easier to keep the whole section 30 inch, i'll investigate the interchange items if you tell me what they are.

Back