revisiting the Timber Ridge line .

Standard gauge running on the dual gauge line
bj8jQnE.jpg

49XGpPu.jpg

it doesn't seem necessary to make most of these flat sections wider , low hills can hide any visible boards.

Ive been working on the badlands section of the route. this is three boards wide as there are distant hills i needed to hide and it gives a much better feel to the section by having more space for the trains....
S6dyAXi.jpg

transitioning from grasslands to the badlands
s5VbJn5.jpg

rbbgcNv.jpg

we begin the climb up around several horseshoe curves .
7OrIbFX.jpg

jV6K8Cf.jpg

bz4zVMe.jpg

JP2m70y.jpg

still need to do a bit of work on this spline
brYfpUu.jpg

leaving the badlands and back into scrubby grassland
C0zhBoc.jpg

and into a town , ive not done much new here ,just added streetlamps, telegraph poles grass and bins and made it a bit less tidy overall.
UGk8W1M.jpg

Last edited:
Dangavel,
Really impressive work here! The feel is very authentic. The screen shots are very nicely composed.

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Really impressive work here! The feel is very authentic. The screen shots are very nicely composed.

Heinrich505

Thanks. I'm doing a very quick job, just trying to get it so its got the feel of these routes but revamping it isn't too overly time consuming as i need to get back to my main route soon. it runs on ultra settings at the moment with no judder. the snow area will take the longest to complete and i have to do a bit of tree planting here and there as well as finishing off some of the areas i did a few years back, its not going to be all that consistent as some areas are more detailed than others. :)

just some quick progress shots, a lot of it doesn't look much like the old timber ridge, so be it !
A2dA3fY.jpg

nxL0exm.jpg

63GL3JS.jpg

new industrial park .

rrm5sFs.jpg

higher mountains and new bridges
FClHJN2.jpg

remodeled redtop !
qaPzfUF.jpg

POIzkor.jpg

industrial waste !
jHE6uUu.jpg

replacement board due to recalcitrant dighole.

more changes

more remodeled towns
2Tg0gfW.jpg

I've removed a lot of the higher buildings as i didn't think they were appropriate for towns this size, also added cheap housing for workers and removed the annoying floating passengers from stations !

e1uG9sd.jpg

changed this town a lot . others... not so much

02m1Af6.jpg

new logging line
F0S5zCL.jpg

more realistic rivers ( i hope )
Yl2EPNF.jpg

one of the older sections i did a few years back.

Last edited:
@dangavel
I hope you put this on the DLS as I'd like to download this to my edition of TRS19. I already like the original version of Timber Ridge Line, and I'd like to have the version you're making.

I edited the original Timber Ridge Line as well, except it was version three. It's now available on the DLS.

Your version "Timber Ridge Railroad" does not include the 30" gauge route through Redtop nor the 36" gauge section up through Tollume Pass. It is in fact based on Klinger's original Timber Ridge Line, however, after losing an update to corruption Klinger rebuilt the entire route as <kuid2:119493:1206:3> Timber Ridge Line which is available on the DLS (build 2.6). Klinger refers to this route as TRLv4. This is the version that Dan is working on and the version I've modified and shown many screenshots of.

BTW Dan I fully agree with the removal/replacement of buildings higher than three stories except in Prowler, I did the same. I also agree that the towns need outlying structures, cabins, boarding houses, livery stables, and etc. :D

Last edited:
just some quick progress shots, a lot of it doesn't look much like the old timber ridge, so be it !

FClHJN2.jpg

remodeled redtop !

Your Redtop and my Redtop don't have too many similarities. :D

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Although I'm definitely going to plagiarize your second street with the cabins along it and reduce the number and size of the buildings more. :D (trees in background are one of many experiments)

Your Redtop and my Redtop don't have too many similarities. :D

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Although I'm definitely going to plagiarize your second street with the cabins along it and reduce the number and size of the buildings more. :D (trees in background are one of many experiments)
I never liked the bridge to nowhere and it seemed unnatural for the town to be raised ( although really the reason i lowered it was I couldn't be bothered to add the cliff :)

i note we both replaced the engine shed with one of Pencils sheds, its not completed yet, probably sage on the top of the hill and more scrubby trees in the background. A lot of these little towsn are too grand for the setting,when i think of these place think Chama or Antonito more than Dodge city :)

@dangavel
I hope you put this on the DLS as I'd like to download this to my edition of TRS19. I already like the original version of Timber Ridge Line, and I'd like to have the version you're making.

My intention is to put it on the DLS Jordan, the biggest issue is that for a lot of areas one would need the the JVC trees Rocky mountain set which was payware ( i do not know if this still applies to this set as a lot of his stuff has now become freeware ) and I also used some of co71s trees which you would need to get from his site.
I can make a version without these trees but as they are largely groups used in hilly territory which saves a lot of time, it may look a bit weird if they were replaced by other trees , as they may be below ground or floating in the air. I'm using trees form the DLS now as much as I can for this new additional rebuild, and will contact JVC and see what status his rocky mountain set is now he has retired from tree making. His stuff looks a lot better then a lot of the DLS items.
I also used a fair few of the Donner pass textures of Jangos, I probably got them from Trainz Italia , but I cannot remember if these are now freeware or if they are now on the DLS , I'm replacing stuff I'm unsure of with my textures where possible, but this may be a bit of a problem as there a lot of them all over the place and I'm quite happy to use them on my own copy of the route.

Last edited:
Your version "Timber Ridge Railroad" does not include the 30" gauge route through Redtop nor the 36" gauge section up through Tollume Pass. It is in fact based on Klinger's original Timber Ridge Line, however, after losing an update to corruption Klinger rebuilt the entire route as <kuid2:119493:1206:3> Timber Ridge Line which is available on the DLS (build 2.6). Klinger refers to this route as TRLv4. This is the version that Dan is working on and the version I've modified and shown many screenshots of.

BTW Dan I fully agree with the removal/replacement of buildings higher than three stories except in Prowler, I did the same. I also agree that the towns need outlying structures, cabins, boarding houses, livery stables, and etc. :D

Yes i did the same thing as Josh , worked for about 6 months on the shorter route and then had to merge the two portions into one or i'd have lsot all the new work I'd done .its an easy mistake to make .

Good news jvc is going to upload his rocky mountain set on the Dls soon , bad news I am going to have to cut down my computer use as I’m very stressed at the moment and need to lower my blood pressure, so progress will be a lot slower on getting this completed.

Good news jvc is going to upload his rocky mountain set on the Dls soon , bad news I am going to have to cut down my computer use as I’m very stressed at the moment and need to lower my blood pressure, so progress will be a lot slower on getting this completed.

You do know that hobbies are supposed to reduce stress not increase it. :hehe: Go outside, sit on a stump, and watch the grass grow, that's my cure for about anything.

Dangavel and Normhart,
I really love everything y'all are doing with this route. It looks fantastic in all the screenshots that both of you are posting.

I'm sorry to hear of Dan's rising blood pressure though. I've found that just running AI trains and sightseeing on various routes has a very calming effect on me, but then again, I'm not creating and planning in surveyor much. I've found that playing around in Surveyor does tend to be a bit stressful, so Dan, please, take it a bit easier. Artists tend to be much harder on themselves when it comes to "getting things just right." I can easily say that I'd be thrilled with what you've already come up with, because I know I don't have the skill sets to make it all look so cool. And it already does. The screenies show a very convincing route. If you can swing those JVC trees, then that is going to be icing on the cake, so to speak.

I'm getting the biggest kick out of just viewing your progress Dan, on this and your Unitah route. Believe me, you are "getting things just right" with all your efforts.

Norm has something there about watching the grass grow, but I've also found that watching paint dry can be just as theraputic, and you get the added benefit of the paint smell.

Take it easy Dan, and get well.

Heinrich505

Dangavel and Normhart,
I really love everything y'all are doing with this route. It looks fantastic in all the screenshots that both of you are posting.

I'm sorry to hear of Dan's rising blood pressure though. I've found that just running AI trains and sightseeing on various routes has a very calming effect on me, but then again, I'm not creating and planning in surveyor much. I've found that playing around in Surveyor does tend to be a bit stressful, so Dan, please, take it a bit easier. Artists tend to be much harder on themselves when it comes to "getting things just right." I can easily say that I'd be thrilled with what you've already come up with, because I know I don't have the skill sets to make it all look so cool. And it already does. The screenies show a very convincing route. If you can swing those JVC trees, then that is going to be icing on the cake, so to speak.

I'm getting the biggest kick out of just viewing your progress Dan, on this and your Unitah route. Believe me, you are "getting things just right" with all your efforts.

Norm has something there about watching the grass grow, but I've also found that watching paint dry can be just as theraputic, and you get the added benefit of the paint smell.

Take it easy Dan, and get well.

Heinrich505

Thanks guys, the stress is because we are trying to rent after owning our own place for many years, as we are rebuilding our house, the process is getting on top of me a bit, as it involves lots of documents and references from people etc and applying online which is complex, so have to wind back for next few weeks and just slow down a bit. We have to get somewhere rented for a year and get over the uncertainty and then I'll feel better , I do tend to rush around a lot more then i should and so now doing some relaxing , just taking it more easy and i feel better already, BP is lower as stress recedes.
I will go steady and slow on the timber ridge , I was going at it frantically for some reason, probably stress. Its cool that JVC is going to make those rocky mt trees freeware as they are very nice. I made a trailer park for Prower last night , apparently they were a big thing after the war years as there were so few houses being built , its on the wrong side of the tracks near the NG line, when they started they were nearly always situated in dingy areas, then became very respectable in the late 50s and into the 60s before becoming less so in more recent times. .

Hi,

Very nice looking route. I had it under TRS2004 and look forward to getting both of the versions mentioned in this thread.

Don't forget you can use the Bulk asset update and replace panel to replace ground textures too. Leave the "Replace ground texture roatation and scale" option unchecked and the new texture inherits those from the old texture.

As to trailers, after the war was over, aluminum was all the rage in the States. Both mobile homes and travel trailers were built from it. People even covered their houses with aluminum siding. The fad faded when plastic and vinyl materials began to be used in the 70s. I was surprised myself when I traveled through the narrow gauge areas of the west on road trips a few years ago at how many mobile homes are located in the remote areas. For a long time they were very cheap to buy at about $20,000 USD but like all things they have gotten really high now but are so much better built.

William

Last edited:
Back