revisiting the Timber Ridge line .

Famous last words :hehe: Fifteen miles later... a sawmill, lumber yard, an entire new village of new construction... :D
Well, knowing me that's always possible, but there's not the room there as the hills are impassable , to avoid those sight lines the boards drop about 300 metres in one board , not even a shay can manage that :)

after a few more tribulations regarding hard drives, this is how far I've got with the 2ft logging extension. More trees on the snowline , all stumps pulled down below the ground so they look lkie they actually are in the ground, not floating on the surface and extra grass and textures are needed. I've made the track as rough as I can following the lie of the land and shored up gaps with old ties etc. The Giplin/Ben NeaL shay needs a new engine sound as its almost imperceptible, whereas the baby shay had a great engine noise , but doesn't look anywhere near as good.
Ank3e4u.jpg

End of the line
kheEZNL.jpg

starting the climb
BUnRdOm.jpg

about half way up

4ypyc6P.jpg

XKCMZgf.jpg

entering the snow line zone
9AXYJ3X.jpg

leaving the sorting yard
7Fqa8VQ.jpg

nearing the climb up to the depot.
RUsOoBs.jpg

negotiating the zigzag
lNsmr6R.jpg

and very uneven track.......
2s4MEg7.jpg

depot, where skeleton cars are left for the Kitsons to haul them to the terminus.

I was wondering what skeletons those were in your last shots and after some digging I found they were <kuid:181672:64883> 30in Skeleton Log Car by david111767. They look great but...

I was wondering if any of the 2' bogies might fit on them?

<kuid2:44700:50050:3> 24 SR&RL Freight Bogie by narrowgauge does fit.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

TANESP3

I used col_klink's repaint <kuid2:242091:50050:1> 24 Freight Bogie - Rusty for this shot. Both bogies work on slugsmasher's skeletons too.

Last edited:
I was wondering what skeletons those were in your last shots and after some digging I found they were <kuid:181672:64883> 30in Skeleton Log Car by david111767. They look great but...

I was wondering if any of the 2' bogies might fit on them?

<kuid2:44700:50050:3> 24 SR&RL Freight Bogie by narrowgauge does fit.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

TANESP3

I used col_klink's repaint <kuid2:242091:50050:1> 24 Freight Bogie - Rusty for this shot. Both bogies work on slugsmasher's skeletons too.
Sounds like a cool fix

Back to one of the merged sections that wasn't originally part of the route. , I'm now more or less polishing it up and rationalizing the content , you may notice increased uploads to the DLS as I gradually go through this process.
8og62VJ.jpg

QQX56Dl.jpg

uCQMS8E.jpg

ZeJQRL1.jpg

34grJbw.jpg

MTq73pU.jpg

2ft logging route at dawn .
ICWH3eY.jpg

rlpjUmf.jpg

CXP9qsp.jpg

i did a quick reskin of the Shay Russell. Cribbed a new engine sound from the baby shay.

Dangavel,
Those are really great shots. They show off a sense of scale that is quite impressive. The terrain seems to go on forever! Really nice work. :Y:

Heinrich505

I'm getting to the stage where the route needs testing for major glitches such as track hanging in the air etc, excessively steep grades , missing textures and empty spaces where abutments should be . I do need to replace all the tunnels as the djb are giving some strange errors and some others are not DLS available, this is probably the last thing I'll be able to fix . I've made all the sections at least 2 boards wide , but the added boards are often not as detailed as the main line surroundings. its just to give better sight lines , remove some weird looking hills that hang in the air and to generally give a better feeling of the route actually belonging in the space.
So looking for two or three volunteers to download the route and to test it out. please don't volunteer unless you intend to actually take on the task. You don't have to drive it all, just test parts of it ,as it will save me a lot of time and i can concentrate on fixing some sections that still need a bit of work. pm me if interested.
it will run pretty well on my 10 year old mac with a radeon 5870 with one gb of vram , but if you want to run it on ultra settings it will need more power than that. I'll probably be able to upload the test version ( tunnels will need replacing later on ) in a week or two.

well so far, nobodies lining up to do testing, so the wait will be longer. I've been replacing tunnels and making this merged section that connects the iron ore mine to the rest of the route more detailed.
bUXbc3L.jpg

P3NtA6U.jpg

uR7540M.jpg

SISL81Q.jpg

zaHGPfZ.jpg

been tweaking the mixed gauge section , the three rail track I'm using is not that great , but there's not a lot of choice with the ng/sg track available.
ZbBe8O2.jpg

DxeQoPn.jpg

mNU4Moe.jpg

oMboSu6.jpg

QvSpRrA.jpg

much happier with this section now its three boards wide.
PNiUGJi.jpg

Yeah , much appreciated, thought I'd replied to you ...it will be a little while yet I have to sort out this tunnel issue .

the highly esteemed Jango has given me permission to update and upload his ng 36 tunnel bore used in the old rollins pass route. It was build 2 and when I've tried to update it to build 3.5 it gaves me these faults.
VE60 required tag 'trackdirections ' was missing and has been set to default
VE60 required tag 'width' was missing and has been set to default
I solved this warning issue after much searching , I found these solutions .

width 4
trackdirections 0,1

however ,that hasn't worked entirely , the asset is 3.5 ,no longer showing faults, BUT as seen here. the bore only has a visible tunnel wall for the first section at the start and finish of each end of the spline, whereas , the original has walls the whole length of the spline.
gTajWtz.png

so I'm doing something wrong, but what ? I've had this issue up for two days now on the content creation section and no one has any suggestions. cant complete the route until I get a decent tunnel substitute as those old djb tunnels are giving me a lot of trouble and i need a substitute toute suite . I thought I had found another possibility using 760 track tunnel, but that will not straighten out for me in any way whatsoever and i'd have to realign most of the tunnels ( the track is also slightly too small as opposed to the djb 36 inch tunnels whose track is slightly too big. jangos asset is ideal , but it has this pesky issue .....

As an idea for you to try. I use tunnel track (not a tunnel just the track) putting a dig hole at either end. Then I put a spline tunnel over the track sticking out past the dig hole. So the only difficulty is the dig hole which for the most part is fixable.

As an idea for you to try. I use tunnel track (not a tunnel just the track) putting a dig hole at either end. Then I put a spline tunnel over the track sticking out past the dig hole. So the only difficulty is the dig hole which for the most part is fixable.
I'm doing that , but the problem is there are no suitable NG tunnel bores on DLS that fit the tunnel portals that can be edited , I can do a reasonable job with ajs stone tunnel and running Ng track on top, but it's hard to do when the trac k is curved and on gradients, especially when there's over 20 tunnels, one a spiral .
This bore solves the problem. If I can just get it working.

I made the decision to change all the track where possible to better version, this in turn made me have to change all the ballast and as the route has some issues after merging with bulk changes, i have to do a lot of it by hand and then check the track to see if it looks ok. the 30 inch track i was using had a fill which allowed me to do work faster , but which now has to checked for gaps under track and fixed. all this is slowing things done , i have also added a lot more vegetation as some sections look extremely bare compared to better worked areas. Currently working all through the 30 inch ng sections, my merges and the original sections.
7CVIocc.jpg

climbing out of redtop at dawn and section beyond
UKsJ1Id.jpg

ZsaFYSJ.jpg

aDAEj67.jpg

redtop to greenhills section

This is all merged sections
below is an example of missing textures, i am sure i have fixed this before, but they occasionally re appear ...
AEura1F.jpg

climbing the grade towards the logging section near the river
ddgYGaf.jpg

e2xJ1NX.jpg

OsxIqcO.jpg

back on the flat.

lUdVOV1.jpg

Cju28Ri.jpg

dAMgPIC.jpg

Rmi5Qog.jpg

y3GhBEB.jpg

nZjIrzA.jpg

Dangavel,
Really great shots. I love how you capture the sense of long distances with the route and the screenshots. :cool: There is also a sense of isolation - you get the feeling (and quite correctly) that you are way out in the wilderness between small pockets of population.

Heinrich505

some new shots , finishing off between Borat airport and Hot springs Mine , gradually working round the route, Paul Gorski has very kindly made me a tunnel portal that can disguise the worst features of the old djb tunnels .
UoL1QTw.jpg

TxWy8HS.jpg

jYeQgs0.jpg

A3LIREX.jpg

q5B590w.jpg

I2Jm8fb.jpg

From memory , this section was pretty much flat in the original. it ain't anymore , still having some tunnel issues as in some cases I'm having to dispose of the old djb tunnels due to their built in digholes . Jangos old NG Rollins pass tunnel bore is fine if its used in short sections , but as its not a track spline, the track develops little bends if its curved tight , still trying to work out ways to make it easier to install. The reason I'm not using other tunnel splines such as the co tunnels is they aren't on the DLS and in addition need updating.

Last edited:
Dangavel,
Really nice shots! That tunnel that Paul made for you looks very good, and fits in well.

The last shot from overhead shows the engines working very hard on the grade. This will be fun to drive! :cool:

Heinrich505

Back