<kuid2:210518:2944:2> Owenyo Transfer 2
<kuid2:210518:2992:1> 30 in ga Coal Transfer 2
<kuid2:210518:11763:1> Cold_River_Coal_Transfer
<kuid2:210518:1167:3> Rotary Coal Transfer 4
<kuid2:210518:2943:3> Owenyo Transfer 1
<kuid2:210518:1164:4> Rotary_Coal_Transfer_1
<kuid2:210518:1165:4> Rotary_Coal_Transfer_2
<kuid2:210518:1166:6> Rotary_Coal_Transfer_3

Good Heavens, klinger would never recognize the place! For a quick update this seems to have become a majorish project. :D Mission creep they call it. :hehe:

One of my favorite things about multi-gauge railroads is the interchange of goods between gauges. jordon412's suggestion is an example of where, when a single railroad controls both gauges, they can share infrastructure. Most routes seem to lean toward the various gauges being operated by separate companies but klinger's TRL has a dual gauge roundhouse and, even with the addition of the 30" gauge line, seems to be all run by one company. Very interesting compared to other routes. :D

The area that jordon712 refers to, Glenview, is clearly in need of interchange development. While there are some docks for the exchange of packaged goods there is little for the exchange of grain, ores, lumber, timber, or liquids nor was there much at the other end of the 30" line. Lots of possibilities. :D

bendorsey did a number of structures for the exchange of ore between various gauges, most of which I haven't seen in use. Hopefully you will find some of them useful.

Jordon712? Who's that? Never heard of him. Anyway, the dual-gauge coal dock in Glenview I suggested came about because there wasn't enough room for two coal towers in Glenview, one for the 30 inch and the other for the 36 inch gauge railroads. When I came across the 'Alamosa_Coal_Tipple' on the DLS, I modified it to have the ramp leading up to where the coal is unloaded from a hopper or gondola into the tipple as 36-inch and 30-inch dual gauge, while the track on one side of the tipple is 36-inch for 36-inch gauge steam locomotives, and the track on the other side of the tipple is 30-inch for 30-inch gauge steam locomotives.

Jordon712? Who's that? Never heard of him. Anyway, the dual-gauge coal dock in Glenview I suggested came about because there wasn't enough room for two coal towers in Glenview, one for the 30 inch and the other for the 36 inch gauge railroads. When I came across the 'Alamosa_Coal_Tipple' on the DLS, I modified it to have the ramp leading up to where the coal is unloaded from a hopper or gondola into the tipple as 36-inch and 30-inch dual gauge, while the track on one side of the tipple is 36-inch for 36-inch gauge steam locomotives, and the track on the other side of the tipple is 30-inch for 30-inch gauge steam locomotives.

Sorry, 7-4 is there really a difference? (Oh, wait, the difference is 3. I was a math major I know these things). Could you post a picture of your Tipple?

The docks at Glenview really irritated me. Two 36" lines and the two 30" lines what? I realigned the the track to 30", 36", 30", 36" so there were more goods exchange trackage.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Still need to add goods, cranes, and etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, 7-4 is there really a difference? (Oh, wait, the difference is 3. I was a math major I know these things). Could you post a picture of your Tipple?

The docks at Glenview really irritated me. Two 36" lines and the two 30" lines what? I realigned the the track to 30", 36", 30", 36" so there were more goods exchange trackage.

Still need to add goods, cranes, and etc.

Ask and you shall receive. Here is the same place on my version of Timber Ridge Line, newly installed in TRS19, but facing 180 degrees the opposite way of your picture to show where I put the coal tipple. I was also mistaken about the ramp, as I've got it set up to receive only 36-inch gauge hoppers and gondolas, with 36-inch gauge locomotives loading on the left side of the tipple and 30-inch gauge locomotives loading on the right side of the tipple. I use MAN6 Invisible Track so it does not appear in the screenshot.

And here's an up close picture of the coal tipple. 30-inch gauge locomotives load on the left side of the tipple while 36-inch load on the right side of the tipple.

Meanwhile ive been working on the section to and from the mines.
XcnTmoB.jpg

this one is working nicely,
PVfM5dA.jpg

and so is this coal mine
55Syvfi.jpg

cX7qipg.jpg

the iron ore mine isn't working so might have to find another model. heres the open cut , the non functioning mine is on the left.

IafmkiV.jpg

HHHhaPI.jpg

leaving the mine area. theres about 6 tunnels on this next section .

Bt56tYt.jpg

The other side of the tunnel.

incomplete sections

ksuGHAD.jpg

wjEZogD.jpg

5mCQm9a.jpg

FdKJykl.jpg

There's not going to be an abundance of vegetation as i want to get this project completed fairly quickly. The bare minimum to make it look convincing and thats it.
Q4oSGK1.jpg

Dangavel,
The "bare minimum" looks pretty doggone convincing to me already! The trestles look spectacular - I can almost hear the timbers creaking as the engine crawls across them. The wild and desolate countryside is being captured by your art style in a very convincing way. I can almost imagine bandits laying for the payroll train when it takes money to the mines to pay the workers. If Norm runs his beer train through here, he'd better have guards on it.

With this crazy industry boom, the town of Prower is going to explode. Maybe even some traffic lights...oh wait, they haven't been invented yet, right? :eek:

Your mine sections are really nice additions to the route. Things are really looking Great! :Y:

Heinrich505

Norm,
Like your little bit of police action in Glenview. Classic box style stop there. Paddy wagon is there, so someone is taking a ride.

Heinrich505

Norm,
Like your little bit of police action in Glenview. Classic box style stop there. Paddy wagon is there, so someone is taking a ride.

Heinrich505

That is klinger's original work :D

Jordon412, thank you, that worked out even better than I expected. Now that I'm able to bulk transfer coal from 36" hoppers to 30" hoppers I can change that coal mine up by Badger to some other ore. Excellent!

Hoppers by sssjung on the DLS

Dan that looks amazing!

Last edited:
Dangavel,
The "bare minimum" looks pretty doggone convincing to me already! The trestles look spectacular - I can almost hear the timbers creaking as the engine crawls across them. The wild and desolate countryside is being captured by your art style in a very convincing way. I can almost imagine bandits laying for the payroll train when it takes money to the mines to pay the workers. If Norm runs his beer train through here, he'd better have guards on it.

With this crazy industry boom, the town of Prower is going to explode. Maybe even some traffic lights...oh wait, they haven't been invented yet, right? :eek:

Your mine sections are really nice additions to the route. Things are really looking Great! :Y:

Heinrich505
It's set in the 50s so yes , traffic lights could be the go, one thing that is a consideration is signalling, I note Jordan has included some semaphores and color lights . I don't think that these DRGW narrow gauge routes had anything much to speak of, certainly not auto block signals , what's the thinking regarding that particular practice ?

That is klinger's original work :D

Jordon412, thank you, that worked out even better than I expected. Now that I'm able to bulk transfer coal from 36" hoppers to 30" hoppers I can change that coal mine up by Badger to some other ore. Excellent!

Hoppers by sssjung on the DLS

Dan that looks amazing!
As does this coal transfer , they never got beyond transferring the Gilsonite by hand on the Uintah, this was where the ng met the drgw standard gauge at Mack,what a bunch of cheapskates .....

As does this coal transfer , they never got beyond transferring the Gilsonite by hand on the Uintah, this was where the ng met the drgw standard gauge at Mack,what a bunch of cheapskates .....

This is what I've got going on at the other end of the 30" line bulk transfer wise.

Ideally the upper 30" hoppers dump tin ore directly into the bottem 36" hoppers. So far that's not working so good. :D

Last edited:
It's set in the 50s so yes , traffic lights could be the go, one thing that is a consideration is signalling, I note Jordan has included some semaphores and color lights . I don't think that these DRGW narrow gauge routes had anything much to speak of, certainly not auto block signals , what's the thinking regarding that particular practice ?

I use wearsprada's Hall semaphores on the 36-inch gauge line and his H type Searchlight Signals on the standard gauge and dual gauge sections, with dwarf signals serving the 36-inch gauge track.

I use wearsprada's Hall semaphores on the 36-inch gauge line and his H type Searchlight Signals on the standard gauge and dual gauge sections, with dwarf signals serving the 36-inch gauge track.

Yeah, but it don't think they ever used these on DRGW narrow gauge, you can see what they used here at Cumbres, the old train order signals , there are some on the DLS as built ins, called order boards .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbres_Pass#/media/File:Cumbres-Pass_Switch_2012-10-24.JPG would bew interested if there are more like them around...
https://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/sigphot.htm

"This Denver & Rio Grande train order signal was at South Denver tower, the northern end of the Joint Line. A train order delivery post is also shown; it can handle four forks, one more than usual, since this was the beginning of a helper district to Palmer Lake. The light on the signal post shows that the train order to be delivered allows the train to advance past the station, a DRGW peculiarity. Orders could then be delivered with the train in motion past the signal. The signal is two-position, lower-quadrant, and the two arms share one lamp (which can be seen). A dwarf searchlight signal, for reverse movements, can also be seen. "

Three of gfisher's Order Boards are interactive

<kuid:106916:10219> B&M Train Order Board
<kuid:106916:10312> CBQ Train Order Board
<kuid:106916:10303> SP Train Order Board

These can be used along with invisible tracks and triggers to setup a signal system but it ain't easy. :D

I've also experimented with these "manual" signals (changing some to right hand)

<kuid2:60850:24524:4> Sig UQ Combined 20ft LHS
<kuid2:353810:1888000:4> TGR semaphore signal, LQ, home, 20ft timber post
<kuid2:60850:24544:4> Sig UQ Combined TC 20ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24523:3> Sig UQ Distant 20ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24522:4> Sig UQ Home 20ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24542:4> Sig UQ Home TC 20ft LHS
<kuid2:353810:1888005:4> TGR semaphore signal, LQ, home, 20ft timber post, RH
<kuid2:60850:24574:50> Sig UQ Combined TC Cantilever 15ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24540:4> Sig UQ Home TC 15ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24564:4> Sig UQ Combined TC Cantilever Sighting 15ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24521:3> Sig UQ Distant 15ft LHS
<kuid2:60850:24520:4> Sig UQ Home 15ft LHS

At 15 to 20ft they look pretty good on pre-1900 and narrow gauge routes, add some signalmen's huts, signal men, kerosene cans, a telegraph line and it is pretty believable. Not sure how realistic it is. :D

BTW the ball signal is also available on the DLS <kuid:86661:24204> 2foot highball by slugsmasher. It is used on several Sandy River routes.

Hum, after scanning through hundreds of photos on the internet the only signals I saw were the Order Board style. However, http://www.drgw.net/info/Signals I found some comments here and there that support the information in the link.

After a bit of searching I could not find the GRS signals listed in the above link available in Trainz. The nearest I found were norfolksouthern37's Safetran signals (from JR). If you are doing pre 1930ish you'd want his CLight series and if post 1930ish his NS series I think. Or you can stick with the invisible signals that klinger used. :D

Last edited:
This has been a few days of consolidation , I have done quite a lot on the merged sections, but I have also worked on an original Timber ridge area that i want to look similar to Los Pinos on Cumbres and Toltec. this has all been remodeled to include much stiffer grades , new steel trestles , about 4 tunnels and a lot of rock faces . i used a whole set of white shale textures and then decided i hated them so changed to a different set instead. thst involved making new sets of ground textures and rock textures in order to blend them in better.
One good thing is a lot of these will come in useful on the Uintah, one route feeds stuff into another. :)
WD9ylbO.jpg

approaching the Los Pinos like section, heavy aspen and pine growth gives way to more open grassland , with small stands of spruces and the occasional aspen stand in sheltered spots. quite a lot of exposed rock faces.
SbKd4TB.jpg

the equivalent of the old San Juan Express rides the rails on the timber ridge .
BiV19mH.jpg

GqkoRn0.jpg

nearing the oil field and airport. still needs grasses and shrubs to be added and leveling of some sections of ground under the track.
knh4bRN.jpg

ZAeBXxn.jpg

The oilfield and cattle pens ( a rather weird mix IMHO ) . i've had to lower the wav file on one of these assets by about 10db as the noise was deafening even from about a mile away in the Los Pinos section . So many asset makers just make their audio stuff waaaaay too loud , they should be just about audible, not deafening even at a distance. Especially if you use more than one item , then its a cacophony !
b1m4Laa.jpg

Last edited:
Marvelous Dan!!

Your talents never cease to amaze me.

Paul :)

Thank you for your complements gents, just about completed this section now, we are beginning to move out into our rental, taking a week to do so ,so I still managed to add grass, two new boards and stuck an interactive gold/silver Iron Bottom mine ( by Mr Dorsey ) on there .
8NLZveD.jpg

nn8LGvO.jpg

Dangavel,
Really great work! The mine looks perfect, and I agree with Norm about the addition of the oil rig nodding donkey pumps. They really add to the scene.

I like your choice of trees. They fit very well with the route. The rock faces on your third shot from the above posting (#76...that's the spirit! :D) really give the scene a dramatic effect. All your experience on the Unitah is really making this route shine!

Heinrich505

Back