revisiting the Timber Ridge line .

Good Morning Sir Dan Gavel,

I said some silent prayers for your dilemma this last week.......

Sounds like someone above is looking over you my friend. Glad to hear the good news today about your Route............

Also saying prayers for the Fires to get better, heard there was some Rain coming around,

a friend told me in conversation.........

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/r...offers-hope-to-those-battling-australia-fires

Take care and enjoy weekend....

The Mac Pro is still broke, so gave them my spare today that has a broken logic board to cannibalize to see if it can be resurrected . I have three if the four drives , will see what I can get off theses might not be able to make into cdps as the system drive is still in computer, they say all drives are ok,if the Mac can’t be fixed i’ll Get them to make me a hackintosh with High specs . Watch this space for news tomorrow , too stuffed to see what’s on drives tonight . Trains local folder was on different drive to the trainz app install

well i think everything is still intact , the final route versions are definitely intact , but just a matter of using the drives in the same configuration in whatever computer i use , i do have a 2010 8 core i can swop them all into, just waiting on the system drive to do the deed. i will have to be more organised with specific folders for backups as Ive just been saving assets as i mod them and they are all over the place , i am sure some have been modded a few times so i need to save everything off content manager again and make sure I have all the latest versions for both routes. this serves me right for not taking more effort to sort out stuff more methodically.

if anyone WAS worrying about this route, you can STOP
I restored sp3 today and the main build with all my assets is there intact . i am now going to concentrate in making sure that all uintah and timber ridge assets are backed up and preferably uploaded to the DLS for safekeeping. however just looked and i have made over 9000 assets (many of which are cliff libraries which are 9 items per set, so they soon mount up, many of them actually aren't being used and aren't really very good, but I will need to sort them out , see which are actually in use and also put in screenshots, :confused:that's a BIG job doing screenshots , so it will take a while) i will install them on my windows computer as well.
Well the the only casualty of this escapade was my system ,as the OS on the computer reverted to sierra when the high sierra update failed and , most unfortunately, my 8gb RX580 nitro card, so another is now on the way as a rx590 apparently doesn't play ball with sierra. at least its now $100 cheaper than it was a year and a half ago.
what a rotten two weeks, but at least the routes are intact .

Last edited:
Dangavel,
Sorry to hear of the software woes and all the asset headaches. Thank goodness all your hard work was not blown up. It's easier typing without my fingers crossed haha.

Thanks for the update and glad for your good news.

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Sorry to hear of the software woes and all the asset headaches. Thank goodness all your hard work was not blown up. It's easier typing without my fingers crossed haha.

Thanks for the update and glad for your good news.

Heinrich505
Yeah I’ve had to spend hundreds on physiotherapy to unknot all my limbs from the past week or two:) I need to buy more hard drives to store these backups , although if I went back and deleted a lot of the old route copies from 2017 /18 I expect that would drop the storage requirements a few dozen gigabytes,the uintah folder of photos , spline variants and research is about 55 gigs , it needs some serious sorting ( not that it hasn’t been sorted many times, but once I get making more assets , it needs it again pretty quickly . I have hundreds of rock photo variations, combinations etc, psds , tga, jpg and nrm variants ,so each rock spline might take up 100megs or more in the backup folder and then there’s the spline itself and then a copy of that as backup, it’s a logistical nightmare :)

Last edited:
well I'm finally back in business, just a few shots of the section near the transition from grass to snow in Tollume pass, I'm having to change most of the trees so they are on DLS as I forgot that the jango aspens I was using weren't on the DLS. The ones I'm using don't really look as good but they are easy to access. This will actually run on an elderly 1gb radeon 5780 at medium settings as I've not dropped on my 8gb card yet.
lD2uPT8.jpg

Some of these engelbrecht spruces are quite old , a bit transparent but they are the only ones around that i could find.

DkWetSR.jpg

aYtD0cW.jpg

no doubt people will change them anyway , I may be able to update another pine using the new jvc blueprints, but that's not a high priority..
LGNs3uM.jpg

there are now about 6 mines in Tollume, so theres plenty of scope for freight operations here as well as logging.
N8XIrpc.jpg

i'll add some shots of the two foot gauge branch soon.

Last edited:
That river is looking very nice in snow country. I'm interested to see where you added the 2' line and what rolling stock you've found for it. Very glad that you were able to recover.

As promised , some shots of the 2ft branch, I've utilized the Kitsons as they are nice looking engines , have cowcatchers and decent US sounding whistles.
Ef8Csx0.jpg

End of the line, this setup loads coal but will try and change it to something more exotic to justify building a branch at great expense.
Nm4mL2d.jpg

MP3WYSZ.jpg

leaving the mine the line is nestled within a tight valley with a river running alongside the track, its mostly downhill with a few ups and downs and some short steep sections of up to 7%.
au0hTdz.jpg

as seen here
SCIM80U.jpg

GuLg1dJ.jpg

you can see the snowy hills of Tollume pass in the background.
CE9qeOW.jpg

there's about 6 trestles to provide variety
90fKWpN.jpg

Last edited:
Z8QgeKj.jpg

the line then runs through an even tighter gorge and emerges into the Tollume valley, running parallel to the main line on the other side of the hills.

8D3mwia.jpg

xZrWTqD.jpg

mSXcfif.jpg

PyDyoAB.jpg

some steep grades just here of 5%+

wEXa2BZ.jpg

the line ends here , where the ore or coal or whatever product you decide to use is transferred to the 3ft gauge, the terminus is shoehorned into what available space there was , which is not a lot.

I probably wont end up using the tender engine S&L stock.
y7K5qMd.jpg

the nice thing about freelance is , you can stick in a lot more variety then a prototypical route, I've tried to make this new timber ridge as jam packed with things to do as possible. so there's not long stretches with nothing going on, variety is the spice of life !!!. I was hoping to stick in some 2ft shays for logging over the other side of the hills, but cant find any.....

Last edited:
There is some nice looking landscape on that route. Gonna have to check it out someday. Is this one of the routes that are in the works for release?
Randall

Last edited:
There is some nice looking landscape on that route. Gonna have to check it out someday.

Randall

Give it a couple of months and hopefully it will be on the DLS, i need to remove old assets and drive the whole thing to look for faults ( and most importantly, stop adding more branch lines :)

That river is looking very nice in snow country. I'm interested to see where you added the 2' line and what rolling stock you've found for it. Very glad that you were able to recover.

it is very close to the snow to grass transition in Tollume Pass, just the other side of the valley where the two logging sites are located , I made the entire pass three boards wide as it just looked cruddy and restricted and then of course, I had all this empty space to play with .......:):D

I was hoping to stick in some 2ft shays for logging over the other side of the hills, but cant find any.....
<kuid:96914:200> 2ftshay by bdaneal
<kuid2:96914:199:1> Gilpin 2 Russell by bdaneal
<kuid:191774:223498> 24ng TCLCo. by zapperjet

oh dear, this probably means there will be yet another extension.....:D

<kuid:445923:100193> Gilpin 2 Russell TS12 by mcummins is on the DLS ;)

<kuid2:56561:1:2> BabyShay by gieljam is on the DLS too ;)

<kuid2:86661:5:1> srrl railbus 5 by slugsmasher is on the DLS too. ;)

<kuid2:44700:8442:7> 24 Gossen Railroad Garratt #2 TS12, <kuid2:44700:71:3> 24 Merced 0-4-0 Loco, and a bunch of other Merced, SR&RL, and other 24 gauge stuff by narrowgauge are on the DLS too ;)

What I can't seem to find is any 24 gauge cars for hauling logs. Edit: <kuid2:44700:19239:5> 24 SR&RL Flat Car 28ft LRN by narrowgauge can haul logs!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Forney #5 is one of two made by slugsmasher and the two logging cabooses are by col_klink - not on the DLS

Last edited:
<kuid:445923:100193> Gilpin 2 Russell TS12 by mcummins is on the DLS ;)

<kuid2:56561:1:2> BabyShay by gieljam is on the DLS too ;)

<kuid2:86661:5:1> srrl railbus 5 by slugsmasher is on the DLS too. ;)

<kuid2:44700:8442:7> 24 Gossen Railroad Garratt #2 TS12, <kuid2:44700:71:3> 24 Merced 0-4-0 Loco, and a bunch of other Merced, SR&RL, and other 24 gauge stuff by narrowgauge are on the DLS too ;)

What I can't seem to find is any 24 gauge cars for hauling logs. Edit: <kuid2:44700:19239:5> 24 SR&RL Flat Car 28ft LRN by narrowgauge can haul logs!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Forney #5 is one of two made by slugsmasher and the two logging cabooses are by col_klink - not on the DLS
yep , no 2ft log skeleton cars, but the 30 inch versions look ok as long as you aren't really close up. I've made a logging extension after the coal mine , it's been created to log a stand of Douglas pines that are particularly good( well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's fairly short so it should not hold things up too much.

Back