I seem to have been shunted into a siding!

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
I have a Gold subscription for TRS2019, currently version 100464. Have I missed a critical update in the updates sequence or am I just a 'user' waiting for a final version? I was under the impression, obviously wrong, that I would be getting updates as they are released.

Help! Where am I?

Peter

There has been a blockage on the mainline and the repair crews have been working hard at clearing the tracks. We expect the track to be open "real soon".

Meanwhile, to avoid the blockage you can take an alternative route through the "Trainz Plus Beta" track. This will give you access to the very latest version> Subject to testing over the coming days, the beta may be released officially or we may need another round of testing.

We're also almost ready to release the next Trainz Plus update for external testing and expect that to follow soon after the first update.

Thank you, Tony.

I managed to get myself to the 'Trainz Plus Beta' stream. Some time back I originally tried to get there and found the selection path a rather obtuse, and accepted my failure as indicating that there was no upgrade path available. Knowing it existed forced me to dig a little deeper.

Peter

I hope I'm not repeating a previous report. Just been trying out my new installation, came to take a screenshot of my new content and nothing! I tried 'review screenshots', I was shown all that I made before the update but nothing new.

Report one bug:- Screenshot taking does not appear to work.

If this causes difficulties before it is fixed, Windows key+Print Screen does work.

Peter

I hope I'm not repeating a previous report. Just been trying out my new installation, came to take a screenshot of my new content and nothing! I tried 'review screenshots', I was shown all that I made before the update but nothing new.

Report one bug:- Screenshot taking does not appear to work.

If this causes difficulties before it is fixed, Windows key+Print Screen does work.

Peter

Can you confirm what happens when following these steps:
1. Create route
2. Click the Social Menu (speech bubble icon ) and click Capture Screenshot
3. Click Screenshot review and upload
4. Does the Screenshot Review window appear?
5. I yes, navigate to your local data folder as shown in the Launcher > Install tab and check the /Screenshots folder.

Tony

Whatever was causing the original problem seems to have fixed itself, but I must qualify that comment by another problem.

Whenever I load, I get one of the errors below, the short one is with no selected route, the other is with a fairly sizable route selected which used to load without error prior to updating to the present version.

error-one.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Note that, prior to updating I had no trouble of any kind with 2019, I am regretting updating, I no longer have the patience to trouble-shoot. Is there any way I can revert?

Peter

If by "trouble" you are referring to the assertion messages, it is generally safe to ignore them (just click Continue and Ignore).

To revert, if you didn't take a backup, just install the build from MyTrainz. You can then patch to 100464 if you want the new camera updates and then you're one patch away when we complete this version and release the update with assertions turned off.

Tony

If I click "Ignore" I just get bumped back to the desktop. It appears that at that point there are two outcomes, work correctly or desk top. The options given don't appear to have any effect.

Thanks for the "return to the old" info. I'm three months away from 91 years old and my patience with problems is rapidly fading away.

Peter

I understand your frustration. Return to desktop = a crash, so that is one of those cases where the assertion is identifying a crash bug.
If you are able to give us any more information on what you do to cause that assertion to appear, then we can fix it. Unfortunately as no-one else has reported that issue, it will most likely go unfixed until someone does give us the necessary steps.

Tony.

You asked for step -by-step report;-

Clicked Start menu
Selected Surveyor
Closed asset download
Selected new route
Get Uncommitted error message
Clicked on 'Ignore and continue'
Get blank board
Lay length of track
Opened select train panel and find that at least 50% of all content (not just mine) is in red.
Added some of my content to track
Took screenshot -OK
Looked for and couldn't find driver mode selection.
Clicked out of surveyor mode and get a completely different screen with unknown locomotive.
Clicked on Cab Mode and get a screen not related to the locomotive (not mine) that I was shown above.
Program freezes.

Swore and kicked the cat.

None of this occurred before I 'upgraded'

Over to you. Ill do this again after I have done my shopping.

Peter

Opened select train panel and find that at least 50% of all content (not just mine) is in red.
Open Content Manager and filter on Faulty or Missing Dependencies. It is possible that by "closing the asset download window" you are avoiding installing the necessary assets to remove the errors.

Looked for and couldn't find driver mode selection.
It's where Quickdrive used to be. Click the Surveyor Mode toggle. Visit this page for more details http://online.ts2009.com/help.php?text=Surveyor_MenuTools
You can also find this page from in game by clicking on the ? then Get Help On, and then clicking on the menu you want to view more information on.
From there you can find the link to the new UDS system: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Unified_Driver_Surveyor

Clicked out of surveyor mode and get a completely different screen with unknown locomotive.
This sounds like you are in the Main Menu which shows the last loco selected in My Collection. Click on My Collection to change the loco.

Clicked on Cab Mode and get a screen not related to the locomotive (not mine) that I was shown above.
If you're in the menu, you won't have access to cab mode, so not sure exactly where you are here. A screenshot would help.

Program freezes.
Quite possibly related to the faulty content you mentioned above. I'd start by downloading the content from the Asset Download window, the anything else missing should be on the DLS. If not, then it also sounds like you've got a new local data folder, so you'll need to import your content from the old folder.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Importing_Content

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content

Tony, you said this.

Open Content Manager and filter on Faulty or Missing Dependencies. It is possible that by "closing the asset download window" you are avoiding installing the necessary assets to remove the errors.

How can there be errors, this was not a new install so all the content had been proved to be error free prior to the update. I'm not starting from scratch, this was an update from a version where there was nothing faulty. If 'closing the asset download' is a fault then it should have been prevented in the code by the programmer. This comment applies to all the problems listed. I know that 2019is is still under development but if the problems did not exist in the earlier version they should not appear in the new version.
From the beginning, nothing I did was different to my use of the previous version.

However, I regret that I can't repeat anything I did, I am now back in the earlier version which I found to be error free in both function and built-in content.

Despite all this, I still think that eventually 2019 will be an excellent program, the best of the series, it is not a 'game' it is a hobby and has kept me involved since 2001.

Peter

The problem is that the problems you are seeing don't exist for anyone else (well, they haven't been reported). Why this has happened to you and not to others will depend on exactly what you did differently to all our test plans where no faults occur.

We can let it rest for now if you prefer, but the same issue may happen if you follow the same update path again.

Back