Trainz Plus Update 102894 Ready for testing

Paul_Bert

There is no bug, that is how versions after 100464 work. You need to save the original session as base session and then save the working as base session plus 1 or another name. In game saves do not go back to base session but save at point of exit.

So the base session can never be updated with changes made during in game changes. It seems to me that this eliminates this version from route development if you always want the session to start out at the same place. To illustrate the point at the extreme. Say I have 10 consists that I have routed to be consumed by portals in say an hour. I start the game and make changes in stuff and then save. I then restart the game using the new saved session and make some more changes. If I repeat this process several times all my consists will have been consumed by the portals and I have nothing left except a route and session with no consists at all. Game over!

So how does one developer make a route to share with others? With this version if it is intended that the session begin at the same starting point but now every time a change is made “in game” the starting point keeps changing. In this case the base session does no good since it does not reflect the “in game” changes.

So the base session can never be updated with changes made during in game changes. It seems to me that this eliminates this version from route development if you always want the session to start out at the same place. To illustrate the point at the extreme. Say I have 10 consists that I have routed to be consumed by portals in say an hour. I start the game and make changes in stuff and then save. I then restart the game using the new saved session and make some more changes. If I repeat this process several times all my consists will have been consumed by the portals and I have nothing left except a route and session with no consists at all. Game over!

So how does one developer make a route to share with others? With this version if it is intended that the session begin at the same starting point but now every time a change is made “in game” the starting point keeps changing. In this case the base session does no good since it does not reflect the “in game” changes.

The "base" session still exists. You can go in and start over just the same. What's occurring while you are editing the session in operation is you are editing and saving changes to the base-session -- the one that we could never edit while in Driver. The changes made there, while the trains are running are saved back to the route and session, but the moving trains are not.

I say this with experience using my Gloucester Terminal Electric route as an example. I have two sessions setup for this route now. One session is for freight operations with most of the trolleys sidelined at the terminals for about 3 hours in the morning before they start their busy schedule. There are still some running as regularly as the passenger-oriented session, but it's a mere handful in comparison to allow the freights to run the line to pick up and deliver freight to the online industries not located on the freight branch.

With the setup running, I discovered that I had a switch-lever missing on a siding I had modified off of a branch to another warehouse, went off to the edit mode, fixed the switch, and continued on where I left off. In the olden days, we would have to stop the operation to do the editing to fix this error. After running for over an hour, because I switched other industries and freight cars in the yard as well, and then drove the line only to find the missing switch. As you know this becomes quite frustrating as other things usually pop up as we move down the line during testing and we end up repeating the process over and over.

The changes here were saved to the route as a normal thing, it also asked me to save to the session which I did anyway, but that was saved to the base-session as you call it and not to the driving session as I would expect. Later on I quit my driving due to me derailing and getting really tired, and I didn't save my driving-session. The next day, I started my session from scratch after loading up the freight-oriented session again. The junction lever was in place as expected, and the consists were all where they started in the first place.

June 15th, 2019, 03:27 AM
WindWalkr
Trainz Veteran

Originally Posted by stagecoach
Load edit session do some work and save. ctrl+F2 into driver and run session. So far so good, flick to surveyor alter something and go back to driver, problem solved. This is where I am confused because if you want to save the alteration to the route or session when do you do it? Do you go back to surveyor first and save...
It doesn't matter where you save from. If you save, all of your changes will be saved.

... if so will the consists be in the new location or as they where when you loaded the route?
All of your changes are saved, including changes to consist locations. Sometimes this is exactly what you want, and sometimes it's not. We have ideas for how to handle the "not" case better in the future, but it's not something that we'll action at the current time.

... or click exit driver and don't save the driver session? I seem to find myself back at the session screen and the alteration is lost.
Correct. If you exit without saving, any unsaved changes are lost.

chris

Thanks John,

The key to this issue appears to be NOT saving the driving session. I re-read your last paragraph in post #62 several times. When I make changes before in the surveyor mode I saved these changes, both the route and session - just as you did. I would then go back to the driver mode and spend more time running the trains. The mistake I made was when I exited my driver session I saved it thinking I would lose my other changes. That created the problem, and frustration, i was having.

That also seems to have solved the problem of having the trains already running when I re-opened in the surveyor mode at a latter date. But having said that it would appear that the default mode upon opening surveyor at the start should be "pause" and not "running".

I'm glad I could help, Paul.

I agree having things paused when coming back helps get the sea legs in place before diving into the fray all over again.

Back again with a variation on the saving the driving session.

In build 100464 when you are in the driver to exit you go to the menu and "Exit Driver". You are then prompted with these three options: "Don't save"; "Save"; "Cancel". If you select "Don't save" you exit the driver and the next time you go to drive the session you start over at the beginning.

Now in build 102894 if I start in the driver mode and drive for a while and decide to exit the driver, everything is the same as in build 100464. However if I do some editing on the route I save these changes in the surveyor to the route and session.
Now I continue in the driver mode for a while and decide to exit the driver. I "Exit Driver", but I am not given the three options that I was in build 100464. It exits from the driver but apparently it has automatically assigned the option of "Save" without asking me for the other two options.
Therefore when I start up again in the Driver mode it resumes from where it left off the last time I exited the driver.
What could be causing this?

Edit: Further findings. If I do all the above - start trainz, drive some time, make some edits, in surveyor save those edits, and then drive some more. But this time I switch back to the surveyor mode and exit the game from their. It prompts me with the three options and I choose don't save and exit. Now when I restart in the surveyor mode things are back to square one with all the changes in place. Very strange.

Last edited:
We're currently working on some further updates to sort out save games, save sessions, overwrite, create new etc. We'll keep you posted on progress.

New issue: Ctrl N most of time not working (tried on built-in and 3rd party routes), makes the game hiccup when pressed instead of displaying rolling stock names. "Traincar Names" should also be renamed as Ctrl N doesn't show only traincar names but those of locomotives too.

RNxDY.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Is there a Mac version already or is build 100438 the latest Mac version (the Trainz Plus Final Release Candidate from May 2019)?

A patch from 101618 to 102894 is available (2.5GB) on the Trainz Plus Beta stream. The Mac version should be ready tomorrow.

jgeissen - Mac version should be ready this week

HPL - thanks for your reports. Passed to QA for verification.

Back