Trainz Plus Update 102894 Ready for testing

With it enabled it takes around 5 minutes for assets to be rendered properly as in they are blurred and out of focus, GTX1080TI.

Same graphics card. When ticked, some train textures are blurry for 1 or 2 seconds, but no every time. Didn't think it was due to that particular setting as I always saw this.

Portals derailing when consuming consists. Intermittant, usually (but not always) the last car.
Portal Basic <kuid2:30501:22006:5> (builtin asset)

Where is the "Edit Trains" tool (train tab) in Driver? I can't find it anywhere (was in "Tools" menu in 100464).

Where is the "Edit Trains" tool (train tab) in Driver? I can't find it anywhere (was in "Tools" menu in 100464).

Edit Trains is so "last year" :)

The new option is the Unified Driver Surveyor "Edit Anything" mode. By using the Surveyor Mode toggle you can not only edit trains, but edit track, trackside, scenery, ground textures, terrain etc.

I commented yesterday that the latest version I downloaded and installed yesterday had a screenshot taking problem. Since then I have done a full virus check, none were reported but the 2019 problem does not exist anymore.

Go figure!

Peter

Same graphics card. When ticked, some train textures are blurry for 1 or 2 seconds, but no every time. Didn't think it was due to that particular setting as I always saw this.

It likely has a lot to do with overall system load, so whether you have an SSD and what content you’re using would have an impact.

chris

Edit Trains is so "last year" :)

The new option is the Unified Driver Surveyor "Edit Anything" mode. By using the Surveyor Mode toggle you can not only edit trains, but edit track, trackside, scenery, ground textures, terrain etc.

So "last year" as you say, but at least it worked!

I am in a Driver session and I want to rotate my train, so I toggle to "Surveyor Mode", once done I untick it to switch back to Driver mode (as the pop-up says). Then later, when I want to save my Driver session (i.e. save my current progression), I am only prompted to "Overwrite existing session" or "Create a new session", no possibility to save the current game: I don't want to modify the session itself, I just want to save the Driver session, as I always did since the train tab has been introduced.

So the question is: How do I save the progression of the Driver session as I always could before that "Unified Driver Surveyor"?

I am in a Driver session and I want to rotate my train, so I toggle to "Surveyor Mode", once done I untick it to switch back to Driver mode (as the pop-up says). Then later, when I want to save my Driver session (i.e. save my current progression), I am only prompted to "Overwrite existing session" or "Create a new session", no possibility to save the current game: I don't want to modify the session itself, I just want to save the Driver session, as I always did since the train tab has been introduced.

So the question is: How do I save the progression of the Driver session as I always could before that "Unified Driver Surveyor"?

The short, short version is that you choose the 'new session' option and carry on your merry way.

That said, such a trivial change should probably not require a session save, we can probably consider that a [very minor] bug.

chris

If it isn't a [big] bug, it is a huge regression and makes the "train tab" unusable in Driver.

How so? It sounds like you can still save fine? The only difference is in the type of asset that is created; from pretty much every other perspective it's identical.

chris

Absolutely not! Before, no asset was created, and the changes were recorded within the savegame, without any modification to the original session. Now, it modifies the original session or forces you to create a new one.

Absolutely not! Before, no asset was created, and the changes were recorded within the savegame,

The saved game IS an asset. So the only real difference is that (if you edit in Surveyor) the asset type is now "session" rather than "saved game".

chris

The difference is that a new asset (session) is created and the next saved game will be its dependency. If the original session is overwritten, saved games remain dependencies of it, but the session is modified and then scheduled tasks won't work when you'll start it again. N3V introduced a real mess to something that was so simple with this modification.

In Driver:

• Season set to Summer, exiting and saving session, when resumed, it has reset to Autumn on its own (never seen in 100464 and prior).
• When exiting tunnels, camera climbs 10 meters vertically above the train (no issue in 100464 and prior).
• Moving shadows casted by invisible pedestrians remain.
• Several loco lights still visible thru rolling stock textures.
• On ECML E-D some gated grade crossings don't work and trains pass thru gates against them (never seen in 100464 and prior).
• Camera angle is higher when a session is resumed than it was when saving (never seen in 100464 and prior).
• Some switchblades still disappear depending on camera angle.
• "Signal 123456" (more or less digits) still displayed on several signals.
• Frequent CTDs at loading screen when resuming saved games (extremely rare in 100464 and prior).
• Ctrl = (next driver) and Ctrl - (previous driver) don't work (don't remember in 100464 and prior, but work in T:ANE).

Last edited:
The difference is that a new asset (session) is created and the next saved game will be its dependency. If the original session is overwritten, saved games remain dependencies of it, but the session is modified and then scheduled tasks won't work when you'll start it again.

Fair point, although the same could be said of Routes and Sessions; if you go and modify the "next one up the chain" then it's always possible to introduce problems.

It's true that a user could flip-flop between creating sessions and saved games depending on which tools they use in Surveyor, and if they're in the mood to overwrite things then that could end with them having some Saved Games that are unusable (i'm not convinced of how likely that it is to be common in practice, but it's definitely possible). The interface is hopefully pretty clear about what the user is saving each time around, but there remains the possibility that they do it without thinking things through.

Will think on this some more and see if there's anything we can do to further improve the UX.

chris

Just installed two new routes and... where are the default Quick Drive sessions? Session menu is empty!

I think I've discovered a synchronization problem, or perhaps a disconnect between session editing/route editing and straight out route editing.

I have an ongoing route on which I added a small branch and I have two sessions. One session is for freight and the other for passenger due to the obvious kind of workings to be done.

A small branch runs to a quarry, off the mainline, which upon testing, proved to be a bit too steep to haul the aggregates from the pit. (The locomotives actually stalled!).

Since the branch exists in both sessions, I decided to edit the route in Surveyor, the old-fashioned way, rather than in a session via Surveyor-mode from one of the sessions.

Upon checking the individual sessions, the changes did not appear.

I exited and went back into Surveyor off the main menu, the old-fashioned way, and my changes were there just as I had made them.

Since they didn't exist in the sessions, I edited the freight session then jumped into Surveyor via Surveyor-mode, made the changes, saved, and exited. The changes now were there, but did not exist in the passenger session. I then repeated the process again in the passenger session, but upon checking the route again in Surveyor (the old-fashioned way), there were now two tracks slightly overlapping since I now had two edits in the same place! I cleaned this up and checked the individual sessions, and everything was fine afterwards (I think).

So something ain't right here. Theoretically if something is changed via Surveyor-mode, the same changes should occur across the board and be applied to the route, and appear when the route is edited "normally" as well as in any session that is base upon that route irregardless of what session was used to edit the route.

Theoretically if something is changed via Surveyor-mode, the same changes should occur across the board and be applied to the route, and appear when the route is edited "normally" as well as in any session that is base upon that route irregardless of what session was used to edit the route.

There are two ways that I can think of that you could end up with track being different on a per-session basis:

1. The track is present in a session layer. This means that it's present in the session itself, not the route, and that any edits will be session-specific. Opening the route without the session would be expected to show that the track is missing entirely (since it's present in the session). There are two scenarios where you might see otherwise:

a. There is corrupted data, and the same track is present in both route and session. This shouldn't happen, but it's not impossible (especially if the route in question is a holdover from a much older Trainz edition). You can correct this using the 'delete missing assets' tool.

b. There are similarly-positioned but otherwise entirely separate copies of the track in both route and session. In this scenario, one copy of the track will show as being in a route layer, while the other shows as being in a session layer. You can check this by hiding and showing different combinations of route/session layers.

2. You're actually talking about two entirely separate routes. For example, if you saved out a copy of your original route, then any modifications made to the copy will not affect the original. Our regular main menu UI (which navigates menu -> route -> session -> surveyor) makes this a pretty hard mistake to make, but if you're opening via some other path (perhaps filtering directly to sessions, or perhaps using CM) then you could easily make this mistake.

hth,

chris

Also worth nothing that any terrain changes to a session will be saved in the route. QA looked into this today John and couldn't repro your issue as descibed. If there is another step such something to do with the specific changes made, please include how you load the route, and exactly which tools you use to change which aspects of the route. And probably for completeness, which items affected are in the session layer vs route layer.

Back