what to buy to complement the GTX 2070 super.

dangavel

I am thinking i am just going to get left behind if I do not begin to get familiar with 2019 using a nvidia card , cost is a barrier, but it just occurred to me that I have relatively cheap avenue to getting a decent windows rig, I have a very large corsair obsidian 750d case , 120gb SSD western digital , 600 watt psu and windows 10 setup which i got my local computer shop to build so i could use it to take 12 hard drives, I was supposed to use it a JABOD setup to supplement my mac pro ,as buying a dedicated case for that purpose would cost thousands, but I have never bothered to use it and was considering selling it. However using case and the PSU, SSD , OS and possibly the cooler might allow me to save about $400 on a new build.

I was considering using the Ryzen 2600 and a GTX 2070 super. what else should I throw in there to get maximum longevity and bang for my buck ? , I will likely never go beyond a 1920 res monitor, and the setup will mostly be used to test routes using turf fx and do some driving in routes like Dearnby. I do want enough power to play TRAINZ well at high settings.

Will 16gb of ram be sufficient or should I go for 32 ? and is liquid cooling worth the extra expense ( and hassles if it leaks ? ) also will the WD 120GB SSD be ok to run the OS if I buy a 1tb SSD to install Trainz . Pretty much nothing else will be installed on the rig, apart from PEV tools and an old copy of photoshop 4 ( if it will work ) . I would also like some advice on what anti virus to use, the local shop recommends Kaspersky, is this a good idea....?
Finally i have a spare GTX 970 with 4 gb vram, is there any way I can combine using the two GPU's or is this not feasible or not worth it? also would a 600watt PSU be sufficient to power these two cards .

Couple of quick answers for your consideration: - 16Gb of DDR4 RAM is quite sufficient for what you have outlined above - there is not much likelihood of you needing to go to 32Gb unless you are multitasking a great deal and plan to do a lot of concurrent video/ image rendering/ streaming.
TRS19 will LOVE the new RTX 2070 Super. 600 watts PSU is more than sufficient in terms of power supply for the Ryzen 2600/ RTX 2070 Super combo, as long as you don't add the 2nd card - (No need, and difficult to see any real benefit for adding the old GTX 970).
Suggest forget 3rd party AV/ antimalware apps for Windows 10 Version 1903 and above. Use the excellent, built-in Windows Security suite for all your antimalware & AV needs. It outperforms Kaspersky on independent tests and is much less intrusive/ invasive.
The Windows/ RTX card combo will be great for you as it will allow you to finally enjoy TurfFx and Clutter. :cool:
Afterthought - If you already have the 2600, cool - but otherwise, you should probably consider seriously the new Ryzen 3600 series CPUs. (WAY more efficient and MUCH better performing...)

Last edited:
Couple of quick answers for your consideration: - 16Gb of DDR4 RAM is quite sufficient for what you have outlined above - there is not much likelihood of you needing to go to 32Gb unless you are multitasking a great deal and plan to do a lot of concurrent video/ image rendering/ streaming.
TRS19 will LOVE the new RTX 2070 Super. 600 watts PSU is more than sufficient in terms of power supply for the Ryzen 2600/ RTX 2070 Super combo, as long as you don't add the 2nd card - (No need, and difficult to see any real benefit for adding the old GTX 970).
Suggest forget 3rd party AV/ antimalware apps for Windows 10 Version 1903 and above. Use the excellent, built-in Windows Security suite for all your antimalware & AV needs. It outperforms Kaspersky on independent tests and is much less intrusive/ invasive.
The Windows/ RTX card combo will be great for you as it will allow you to finally enjoy TurfFx and Clutter. :cool:
Afterthought - If you already have the 2600, cool - but otherwise, you should probably consider seriously the new Ryzen 3600 series CPUs. (WAY more efficient and MUCH better performing...)

Thanks Pc Ace, sound advice as always . I will see what the price difference is with the 3600 over the 2600 in the local shop ( it probably cant match some of the online shop prices ) but if anything goes wrong its nearby, they are extremely quick and friendly and can trouble shoot if needed and i wont have to spend anything on postage .
I'll just go for 16 gb RAM, which is what i have on my Mac, which never seems to need any more.
As for FX , I'd have to create some clutter, but eventually perhaps some will be made that suits my purposes. I've decided to mod an existing route in 2019 that the original creator has given permission to be changed and thus I will spend one day a week on that , then I'll concentrate on my main route the rest of the time on the Mac and I'll get a bit of variety in my trainzlife ( and OS experience ) .

Last edited:
That'll be a nice rig when it's completed. I have that Corsair Obsidian case as well and got mine about 10 years ago now. It's quite hefty and these are now discontinued so hold on to yours. I will say that they are a pain to keep clean inside even with the fans, filter on the bottom, etc., due to all the little spaces, grooves, and grid surfaces. Periodically I heft my rig down to the work room and blow everything out with the air compressor to ensure the computer is completely clean inside.

On my setup, I went for as much memory as I could afford at the time and put in 64 GB. In addition to Trainzing, I do some audio and video editing, which requires the extra space. With Windows 10 being a 64-bit OS, having the extra memory isn't wasted even for Trainz and really helps a lot when importing CDPs and doing a lot of copying and pasting in Surveyor. On my older computer, with far less RAM, copying and pasting became an issue more often than not, and installing lots of CDPs lead to crashes due to the system running out of RAM.

That'll be a nice rig when it's completed. I have that Corsair Obsidian case as well and got mine about 10 years ago now. It's quite hefty and these are now discontinued so hold on to yours. I will say that they are a pain to keep clean inside even with the fans, filter on the bottom, etc., due to all the little spaces, grooves, and grid surfaces. Periodically I heft my rig down to the work room and blow everything out with the air compressor to ensure the computer is completely clean inside.

On my setup, I went for as much memory as I could afford at the time and put in 64 GB. In addition to Trainzing, I do some audio and video editing, which requires the extra space. With Windows 10 being a 64-bit OS, having the extra memory isn't wasted even for Trainz and really helps a lot when importing CDPs and doing a lot of copying and pasting in Surveyor. On my older computer, with far less RAM, copying and pasting became an issue more often than not, and installing lots of CDPs lead to crashes due to the system running out of RAM.
I might see how much I save using the original parts and see if I can stretch to 24 gb , depends how many ram slots are available, not sure what there are , most computers now have at least 4 slots so can easily fit three 8 gb sticks . Unless of course it works best in matched pairs.....

I might see how much I save using the original parts and see if I can stretch to 24 gb , depends how many ram slots are available, not sure what there are , most computers now have at least 4 slots so can easily fit three 8 gb sticks . Unless of course it works best in matched pairs.....

You might have to do this in multiples of 8 or 16. It depends upon the motherboard and how the memory is handled. If that's the case, you can go with 4x 8 GB and that will give you the 32GB of RAM. Or if you want, put in 2x 8 GB for now and upgrade later.

Back