Clutter Bug ?

FootplatePhil

Trainz Tragic since 2002
Having completed laying down (and in some parts relaying) 3 layers of TurfFX across my route, today I moved on to applying a Clutter Layer along the permanent way. To my annoyance as soon as I defined the first Clutter Layer vast areas of already laid TurfFX disappeared. This appears to be an extension of the issue discussed in this thread....

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150358-TurfFX-Entire-grids-of-grass-being-wiped-out

Until this is resolved I don't see how I can move much further in adopting the new TRS2019 features.

Last edited:
Hint.. the clutter is available as normal individual assets (not grouped) that you can plonk in the TurFx with no bad effects, ideal for between tracks etc.

Here are before and after images captured in Surveyor to better explain what is happening

Immediately before defining the new layer.
Before-defining-new-Clutter-Layer.jpg

Immediately after defining the new layer. Similar instances occur across the length of the route.
After-defining-new-Clutter-Layer.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit difficult to see, but I see what you mean. The blinking grass disappears when you add in plants and stuff. I wish the weeds did that in my garden and yard it would make cutting the grass and weeding so much easier.

I didn't have your problem when I tried it and instead I couldn't find my clutter objects. I did eventually, but they were about the size of ants and not clustered the way I thought they would be. I gave up on them for now and planned to try them again sometime soon(tm).

Thanks for replying John. It is a largish route (170kms long), and I wonder if I have reached some sort of overall limit.

Thanks for replying John. It is a largish route (170kms long), and I wonder if I have reached some sort of overall limit.

That's a good question. I ran into an issue where my mouse became more and more sluggish when working on one of my very large routes. I gave up because of it due to things getting so painfully slow I couldn't control the mouse as I was putting down grass.

Hey guys, where do you find this clutter stuff?

Under the topology tool. Click advanced and then you can do things like add in displacement maps. The default is ground in the selection box, change to the others Turf-FX, or the Clutter-mesh.

You use the Raise and Lower brushes to paint the surface with the grass and plants.

It has been quite some time since NV3 acknowledged they were able to reproduce the problem discussed above, and opened a ticket. I have recently downloaded TRS22 Beta, hoping this issue may have been resolved. Unfortunately it has not, and on further investigation I found the ticket has been closed without any explanation (EDIT : maybe adding a bug to their tracking system is considered sufficient action to close a ticket?).

I would really like to be able to add some clutter and another TurfFX layer to my route, as was promised in the sales pitch for TRS2019.

Edit 2: on rereading this latest post I realize it is a bit open ended. A lot more people have experience with TurfFX now, and I was hoping to hear from any others that have similiar issues. Or is it simply a 'User usage error' on my part? I have checked out plenty of other's routes with much more complex TurfFX than I use (I have only been able to define 3 layers before encountering the disappearing effects problem). I also still experience 'bald' patches in my TurfFX. Does anyone else? Is there a limit (perhaps due to to hardware constraints). I have a pretty zippy setup: Alienware I7-11700F (water cooled) with 16 Gig 3200Mhz RAM, all SSD storage (M.2 PCIe NVMe for Trainz install) and 3060ti graphics.

Last edited:
Back