Susquehanna & New York Railroad - New Route on DLS

etozorak

Train-a-Mania
The Susuquehanna & New York Railroad was a short-line railroad connecting the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Towanda, Pennsylvania with the Pennsylvania Railroad at Marsh Hill Junction. The railroad carried freight and passengers between Williamsport and Towanda.

SNY1.jpg

I was introduced to this railroad by Michael Hauk, a model railroader who is creating the entire railroad in his basement. I was so captivated by his HO scale shortline that I figured that I would take it home with me. I strongly recommend visiting his website to learn more about the prototype and how he is recreating it.

http://snyrr.com/

Initially I contemplated creating this as a Model Trainz route with aisles, fascia, etc. Ultimately I decided to build it as a more realistic route with natural scenic barriers while maintaining HO scale.

There are a few non-DLS items used in the route. If you own Coal County you should already have these, but I will post the full list later today. They can be found via Trainz Kuid Index as well.

ROLLING STOCK

The railroad mainly used 2-8-0 Consolidation locomotives, but rostered 4-6-0, 2-6-0, and 4-4-0 locomotives as well. The closest model that has the look of the S&NY consolidations is the B&O E27 model by K&L Trainz. Larger engines may look somewhat odd going around the tight curves.

SNYTimeTable13-1.jpg

OPERATIONS

The railroad functions as a bridge line between the Lehigh Valley, Reading, and Pennsylvania Railroad, as well as serving a number of industries along the way. The railroad has no signals and is entirely operated by Timetable and Train Order (TTTO). First class trains are typically focused on hauling traffic from Towanda to Newberry and vise versa. Second class trains haul coal and empties between these two points. Extra trains not on the schedule address the switching at industries along the line.

Newberry - Reading Railroad interchange, roundhouse and engine facilities
Ralston - a branchline not modeled on the train layout. This serves a tannery, coal mines, and a brickyard.
PRR Elmira Branch - The PRR Elmira Branch runs between Williamsport PA and Elmira NY. The S&NY has trackage rights between Newberry Jct (near Williamsport) and Marsh Hill Jct.
Marsh Hill - Yard, coal dock, engine facilities
Masten - Lumber mill and saw mill
Wheelerville - Creamery, CPL Tram Rd (interchange for Tar, Line Poles, Gravel)
Laquin - Barclay Wood Chemical Plant
Towanda - S&NY yard, various industries, turntable and engine facilities
North Towanda - Lehigh Valley Railroad yard and interchange

I hope you enjoy operating this railroad as much as I did constructing it. I also have to thank Mike again for his valuable assistance with patiently answering all of my questions and providing the timetable above.

2019-03-03-230521.jpg

2019-08-20-210314.jpg

SNY_WIP_Masten2-1.jpg

Three years ago (to the day) I began this as my first Trainz layout. Now, I'm pleased to announce the TRS19 version is available on the DLS.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Susquehanna-%26-New-York.jpg

.. thank you so much .. installed without missings or faulties .. great fun ..
grtz

etozorak---susquehanna-%26-new-york-rr.jpg

etozorak---susquehanna-%26-new-york-rr.jpg

.. thank you so much .. installed without missings or faulties .. great fun ..
grtz

You have no idea how much joy that gives me to hear.

Wow Nick, - yet another masterpiece from your hands.

High praise, but thanks!

Nice job Nick. Are those S&NY locos your own making? Thanks.

They are reskins of the B&O E27 model by K&L Trainz. I've asked him if there's a method to release the reskins since they are payware.

Thanks for the quick reply Nick. I especially like the yellow lettering on the S&NY engines, since the rare color photos of their locos clearly show yellow lettering.

I had been thinking of re-lettering Ben Neal's generic Baldwin 4-4-0 for the 113, and his generic Baldwin 2-8-0 for the freight haulers, but it is going to be a while before I can get around to that. So I would be very happy to use your re-skins if they become available.

Also installed here with no errors. Went right in. Nice job, we should see lots of evilcrow screenshots of this.

Best,
smyers

Loaded in fine except for TRS22 insisting on corrupting two assets no matter what I did. I'll have another look at them later once I can clear out the caches. There's a collection of these legacy Alco 0-6-0s with different numbers on the DLS, but they aren't genuine models of any Suzie Q prototypes. I needed to do some fixes and dependency hunting before I could get this one into TRS22.

9otLYQS.jpg

Sorry, forgot to put the turntable in the description for the asset. Hopefully it isn't hard to find via Google.

KotangaGirl, the Susquehanna & New York was a separate railroad from the New York Susquehanna & Western (Susie Q).

I know, it confused me as well.

Sorry, forgot to put the turntable in the description for the asset. Hopefully it isn't hard to find via Google.

KotangaGirl, the Susquehanna & New York was a separate railroad from the New York Susquehanna & Western (Susie Q).

I know, it confused me as well.

Oops! Are my US Railroads 'L' plates showing? Well at least I've now got a really nice USRA Alco 0-6-0 that works properly in TS22, - so it's not all bad.

Back