What is the green 'Trigger' track mark for?

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I'm presently working on modifying a route and I've found green 'Trigger' track marks at various places. I've never used these before and I don't really understand what they do and what they're for. Can anyone explain their purpose to me please?

"Triggers" normally are green in the shape of a 3D "+" sign or a 3D arrow (for a directional trigger). Is it one of these?

I'm presently working on modifying a route and I've found green 'Trigger' track marks at various places. I've never used these before and I don't really understand what they do and what they're for.

Triggers raise an event for a rule or a script. Rules and scripts can do a large variety of different things. What these ones are for depends on what the trigger is (the KUID and description) and sort of event it is raising.

I'm presently working on modifying a route and I've found green 'Trigger' track marks at various places. I've never used these before and I don't really understand what they do and what they're for. Can anyone explain their purpose to me please?

I use the green Triggers (which require numbering of course) for a variety of reasons and tie them into driver commands.

A simple one could be to just to sound a horn as a designated train runs across it; or a variety of platform announcements when a train is pulling into a platform; or to 'Trigger' and put in motion another consist to travel in another direction; or to switch points further up the line.

The green Triggers are extremely useful.

Cheers,
Roy

I think I know what they are:-

<kuid2:76656:70000:2> Clickety Clack Trigger by boat.

They are green & white and shaped the same as a red trackmark.

Currently (in my installation) used in:-
Powder River Basin
Coal Country
C&O Hinton
& Fall Harvest.

That help?

Regards,
Laurie

Thanks very much for your explanation Roy. I've rebuilt and realigned the section of track where they were so I deleted them, but I thought I'd try to find out what they were and how they worked should I want to try using them in the future.

Laurie, the triggers I was asking about are green cross shaped as in 'X' marks the spot.

Thanks very much for your explanation Roy. I've rebuilt and realigned the section of track where they were so I deleted them, but I thought I'd try to find out what they were and how they worked should I want to try using them in the future.

Laurie, the triggers I was asking about are green cross shaped as in 'X' marks the spot.

There are two kinds of these. If they are from Boat, they are crossing triggers and are used to activate the level crossings. The other ones, are just to "trigger" events. Here's an example:

The other kind of trigger is like a relay switch on a model railroad that will start other events once the trigger is crossed over.

You have a stub-ended terminal that you've pulled your train into locomotive first.

As you are pulling your train in, you cross over a trigger and pass it. This "tells" an other configured AI-driven shunting locomotive to couple on to your consist, and uncouple your locomotive from the wagons. Your consist, now empty of passengers, is hauled off to the coaching yards and awaits another train later on.

In the meantime, your locomotive, now driven by another AI driver, is sent off to the engine house for maintenance and when completed awaits a new run.

How to set this up? Beats me because I like to keep things simple, but this is basically what a trigger does.

To see the innards, edit the session rules and you'll see the triggers with sub-routines all lined up underneath them. They are indented to show they are "child" routines off of the triggered event.

I hope I 'splained this okay.

You can easily see what the Triggers were used for by going to the main menu of the route, > edit session and the list of driver commands and rules pop up.

Click on each of the Triggers which then displays what event will take place.

If you've deleted or rebuilt the track, I also suggest to delete the Trigger commands as well. This keeps it all tidy.

Cheers,
Roy

There are two kinds of these. If they are from Boat, they are crossing triggers and are used to activate the level crossings. The other ones, are just to "trigger" events. Here's an example:

The other kind of trigger is like a relay switch on a model railroad that will start other events once the trigger is crossed over.

You have a stub-ended terminal that you've pulled your train into locomotive first.

As you are pulling your train in, you cross over a trigger and pass it. This "tells" an other configured AI-driven shunting locomotive to couple on to your consist, and uncouple your locomotive from the wagons. Your consist, now empty of passengers, is hauled off to the coaching yards and awaits another train later on.

In the meantime, your locomotive, now driven by another AI driver, is sent off to the engine house for maintenance and when completed awaits a new run.

How to set this up? Beats me because I like to keep things simple, but this is basically what a trigger does.

To see the innards, edit the session rules and you'll see the triggers with sub-routines all lined up underneath them. They are indented to show they are "child" routines off of the triggered event.

I hope I 'splained this okay.
Thank for your very informative explanation John. I tend to be fairly unadventurous with the sessions I make since I'm very much still learning about them, but perhaps one day I'll give using triggers a go.

Thank for your very informative explanation John. I tend to be fairly unadventurous with the sessions I make since I'm very much still learning about them, but perhaps one day I'll give using triggers a go.

I've managed to put off learning to use them for years and years. :D

Back