WROMG Interior... WROMG Locomtive

Dave,

Just ask for your money back. You don't like it, don't pay for it. Jeez!!!

I can understand what he/she did. When you get to the end of a complex and troublesome model, all you want to do is finish it and probably this was the case. The creator obviously doesn't not know that the interior config can be set-up to show external details which then don't need to be included in the interior mesh. It is also possible that, like me, the creator does not consider the interior to be really important as he/she does not drive that way.

Peter

I didn't pay for it. It's a freebie.

How can anyone play this Train Simulator and not ride in the cab. Seems like that's defeating the purpose, eh?

Just forget it. Mods can you lock or delete this thread please?

Thanks

Dave

Ignoring the previuos part of this thread.

Dave wrote this:-
How can anyone play this Train Simulator and not ride in the cab. Seems like that's defeating the purpose, eh?
which does raise the question, what do we see in Trainz?

I see Trainz as a very cheap way of constructing a very large model railway, an extension of the hobby I have had since I was about 10 (80 years ago). I can make models and 'layouts' for it far quicker than with 'real' stuff and they cost me nothing and don't need a large room to house them. I don't 'play' Trainz.

Despite this, I do add interiors to my creations.

Peter

If it's freeware then really any criticism should be no more than constructive.

That said, I am the first to groan when I find what looks like a lovely new loco only to jump in and find the cab and sounds are aliased to something from the UTC era. It's what frankly wrecks Trainz as a useful sim for me - we now have the tools and graphics in TANE and TRS2019 to build lifelike looking worlds, yet driving from the interior of the trains we place on them we may as well be running UTC. Then please don't get me started on the windscreen/window fog which afflicts most of the loco and rolling stock assets from interior view. MSTS from 15 years ago and latterly Railworks in its various forms can manage decent cabs and sounds, why is Trainz always the poor relation?

Seeing the wrong interior for a loco bugs me as well. But I make my own. :)

I don't think a steam loco interior is a cinch - far from it. You still have to model and paint the interior but also add all the controls and usually a script to manage it all. Photos of cab interiors are as rare as rocking horse manure so half the time I make it up and hope no one notices. :)

Whenever I visit a railroad museum I take more photos of loco detail, including cabs where possible, than exteriors.

Kinda shocked you'd start such a thread Dave. What's more, you've actually put out a lot of content (some of which have cut corners here and there but nobody's complaining) so this really is pretty ironic.

If the freeware that content creators have made with thousands of hours of time and effort, and given to the community without asking for anything in return is unacceptable to you, perhaps you should try payware.

Last edited:
Nicky --

I'm with you on this one. Compared to the drought of the past there are any number of high quality cabs available on the Download Station. Just pick one and alias to that.

I'd certainly prefer the creator spends his valuable time churning out new locomotives and rolling stock -- which he does admirably well.

Phil

Just forget it. Mods can you lock or delete this thread please?

Thanks

Dave

Err, no, Dave, the Mods shouldn't lock or delete this thread for the simple reason that people need to see some of the problems assets have. My set of C&O Hinton Division sessions has a locomotive that has the cab view in the opposite direction that it's supposed to but it was the only suitable loco I could find on the download station the people could easily get and use in the sessions. I did encourage people to get the JointedRail GP9's if they wanted a better experience but most people don't have lot of money to throw around on a game. The interior doesn't bother me as I drive outside anyway because I'm more interested in the actual moving around of the cars, etc., than the realism of driving experience.

But on another tack, maybe you could have pointed out the interior problem in a little bit calmer fashion than yelling, "WROMG" (sic) although a PM to the creator would have been much more appropriate.

By the way, I too have a DD214 (US Army, 1969-1972, W. Germany and Vietnam via a DD2496) AND a BS in Chemical Engineering from the U of Wyoming (thanks to the GI Bill).

Take care,

Fact you spent your time to actually make a image with text and the jazz... over a free loco?

Got news for you, JointedRail still sells locos that are years and years old, and still don't have a finished interior and is just a placeholder. Also still the same price point too.

Let that sink in first before complaining over a FREE product.

Most people don't play Trainz for cab experience. It's quite.. actually.. really really bad. Other titles in the genre excel at Cab running, and is their sole focus. Trainz to me, and lots others has always been a Model Railroad or RR like operations, with the camera outside, looking around at scenery or good shots as passes down the mainline. I've tried running Cab even in nice interiors, its just meh. Other titles do it so much better.

This thread has brought back to life some old arguments regarding the quality of some assets. Vern does make some valid points in his post ...

If it's freeware then really any criticism should be no more than constructive.

That said, I am the first to groan when I find what looks like a lovely new loco only to jump in and find the cab and sounds are aliased to something from the UTC era. It's what frankly wrecks Trainz as a useful sim for me - we now have the tools and graphics in TANE and TRS2019 to build lifelike looking worlds, yet driving from the interior of the trains we place on them we may as well be running UTC. Then please don't get me started on the windscreen/window fog which afflicts most of the loco and rolling stock assets from interior view. MSTS from 15 years ago and latterly Railworks in its various forms can manage decent cabs and sounds, why is Trainz always the poor relation?

That said, I would add the rider that for virtually all users, Trainz is a hobby not a profession. I don't know of anyone who is making a living from creating and selling Trainz assets. We may have the tools to build life-like looking worlds and train interiors that are totally authentic but how many of us have the time and talent to use those tools on everything we create. As a content creator (routes and sessions plus a minuscule number of other assets) I know how difficult it really is and the steepness of the ever changing learning curve.

Vern's comparison of Trainz with MSTS (which I once did own but quickly abandoned when Trainz was released) and Railworks (which I have never owned) are perhaps a bit unfair. With MSTS there was never a large base of fans creating freeware assets or if they did exist I could never find them. Purely from the posts in these forums I believe that the situation with Railworks is similar. One of the great strengths of Trainz is its huge base of amateur but enthusiastic freeware creators who will often produce "sub standard" products but at least the products are there and free.

Like Vern, I also occasionally groan when I look at a newly downloaded free asset and I have also seen plenty of "generic" cabs in locos. But I look at the price tag and, in the vast majority of cases, the hours of work that went into the creation of that asset, and accept it for what it is - a gift horse. Eventually something better may come along.

If we're into a discussion about the quality of freeware I note a certain content creator's models often lack LOD. Much less effort than creating an interior cab. I understand interior cabs can be switched in the config.txt file but LOD is more difficult for an end user to add.

Cheerio John

Cabs are harder to find motivation to finish because it’s just that - a cab. Unless you’ve been working in the real thing there isn’t really much “appeal” between one cab and an another. Compare that to locomotives, which are vastly different and are complex machines that are pleasing.

Understandably if it is payware then a custom cab should be included (based on the price) but for freeware locos, especially of that quality, asking for a just-as-demanding cab interior is asking for a lot.

Back