TRS19 Will Not Stop

boleyd

I "stopped" TRS19 because it had low FPS and stuttering after an overnight download of pending free and purchased DL?. After looking around at some very simple pages (1 tree), and the Task Manager with GPU, nothing was obvious. So, I stopped the program and the launcher. However, TRS19 continues to run!! Two routines are running. With occasional heavy CPU and GPU loads.

Last night I was FORCED to purchase TRS19 for $100.00 or revert to a cheaper TANE. I always wondered why some seemed to stay with TANE. Since refunds are not offered, I have to stay "on this horse".

So, my $100 not only offers the privilege of using N3V software it offers a set of "free" items. Knowing that a lot of that stuff would take a long time to load/install I started the process to download and install. It was running so I did other things. This morning I am greeted with the slow stuttering performance of anything I try except for the program's menus.

The two TRS19 processes are happily running using 15% to 20% of CPU and 14% of GPU. I can only guess that N3V is applying the sorted downloads of "free" goodies to the database resource map on my PC. I am quite uncomfortable killing the process. Unless it was properly coded, such an action could take me back to re-installation. So for $100 I have lost the use of what I purchased and inherited a perpetually running process whose purpose is a mystery.

I mean..

The very first step is, turn it off and on again.. entire PC

No way a DB repair takes that long, and your PC by your sig is not the problem. I miss my 2500k! SHE WAS A BEAST!

Something may of just got hanged.

Also, $100?

I feel I can stop the thing with the Task Manager. However, if the program is in a code area that does not expect a forced stop, it can cause a real mess.

Yes, the 2500K is great. I just installed a new motherboard. Rather than move to an i7 I chose to keep the 2500K clocked to 4.3ghz. So, I just bought the same OLD motherboard, kept the old memory and was quite pleased with a solid 30fps in MOST areas of routes. Adjustments and sliders at an average of 75% max. No heating issues. I can run TRS19 and CNN(TV) at the same time. N3V does not seem to run multiple threads, therefore 16 concurrent, independent, processes have no value to me. 4 threads are enough.

I never leave my PC running unattended overnight. All sorts of things can happen - from the benign but annoying such as a total system virus/malware/performance scan that goes wrong to the nasty such as an external hack (call me paranoid).

While it is always possible that TRS19 is the culprit, I would suspect that something else outside of TRS19 is happening here.

I can run TV and watch the bad news while TRS19 goes in circles. At some time I will be forced to kill the processes and HOPE. Will try some thing first.

HMMMMM -- I was going to load the Launcher to see if that might help. When I placed the cursor over the icon in the Taskbar two small windows popped up. Despite stopping the program via the Launcher they stayed around.Stopped them and the two running routines also stopped in the Task Manager. All normal. Launcher did not stop everything as it was supposed to. Oh, well. Now I have to cancel my trouble ticket and resume trying to get $100 of value for the next 365 days.

Last edited:
TRS19 is a different set up to Tane. All the routes and assets are saved differently now. The latest build can't even backdate to the earlier versions of TRS19. The background running is most likely trainz trying to sort the asset files into the new system.

If you double-clicked on the shortcut multiple times, you'll get multiple instances queued up and ready to start once the first one is terminated.

There is additional processing and validation taking place once DLC is installed and that can impact the performance as well. If you check the Developer Logs, accessible from the Launcher or Content Manager, you will see a stream of data validating taking place. This validation process appears to also index and cache the content. Once that's finished, the performance will be back to normal.

I also recommend defragmenting your data drive if it's not an SSD. That will definitely help with the performance once the data has been validated (cached and indexed) by the program. This will definitely help.

Despite the learning curve, I yearn for the days of a nice annotated listing on old-fashioned paper. The world of structured programming has made interdependence on others work absolute. Could you write a major change in how Windows handles loading customer programs and data? Nope, meetings are a must. Documentation is a must (I question the quality). Microsoft Windows10 is an example of reactionary development of a product to support all kinds of things that attain specified thresholds, of public acceptance or the meet the needs of influential (money) companies. The result is an almost incomprehensible set of intertwined programs. Some of those used in multiple different programs. I even adopted Linux for awhile but is did not handle the hobby stuff I liked. So I became a user, and now just try to understand what "might" be causing some anomalous behavior. One added thing - I don't miss having to put a program, or changes, on punched cards, go to a windows and submit the deck of cards for overnight processing.

PS: data is on an SSD.

Last edited:
Despite the learning curve, I yearn for the days of a nice annotated listing on old-fashioned paper. The world of structured programming has made interdependence on others work absolute. Could you write a major change in how Windows handles loading customer programs and data? Nope, meetings are a must. Documentation is a must (I question the quality). Microsoft Windows10 is an example of reactionary development of a product to support all kinds of things that attain specified thresholds, of public acceptance or the meet the needs of influential (money) companies. The result is an almost incomprehensible set of intertwined programs. Some of those used in multiple different programs. I even adopted Linux for awhile but is did not handle the hobby stuff I liked. So I became a user, and now just try to understand what "might" be causing some anomalous behavior. One added thing - I don't miss having to put a program, or changes, on punched cards, go to a windows and submit the deck of cards for overnight processing.

PS: data is on an SSD.

Those were the days too when programming took a lot longer, everyone took responsibility for their part of the project, and understood the end goal and purpose. Today we have staff located far and remote from the actual product and have no clue of what it's supposed to do. This disconnect, in the name of saving money for the CEOs vacations and bonuses, has been detrimental in a lot of areas including quality control.

The last good Windows program Win98SE. I still miss the days of DOS 6.0. Sigh. The three finger salute (Ctrl, Alt, DEL) is still your friend in Windows, unfortunately. I use Linux for EVERYTHING except Trainz. And, if and wheb they come out with a Linux version of Trains, Windows will be gone again.

As the others said, certainly seems like the database was doing something in the background. At times I've had this take quite a while for it to go away, but nothing that long.

Not sure how you are "forced" to buy software such as TSR19 when it is simply a game and not a critical part of the operating system.

Back