.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: TANE: Squares Deleted but Assets Remain

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Deepinthehearta, Texas
    Posts
    390
     

    Default TANE: Baseboards Deleted but Assets Remain

    Hi All-

    I'd like to use part of an existing route as the starting point of a new one in TANE. I saved the old route under a new name and deleted all the baseboards I don't need, but many track and road splines still remain, hovering unsupported in "space" even after the baseboards they were on are gone.

    Is there a way to fix this or prevent it from happening, other than manually deleting said track and splines beforehand (because that would take forever in this case)?

    Thanks,

    Max
    Last edited by maxwerks; August 25th, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
    maxwerks
    there's an engine at the station
    and the whistle blows my name

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    25,370
     

    Default

    Isn't that a pain...

    If you are deleting the baseboards, setup the copy paste tool but select an area on an empty baseboard.

    You then paste the empty area and that deletes all the content first on those boards you want to remove and ensures there's nothing floating in mid-air.

    You want to know when this dawned on me to do this? Seriously about a month ago after all these years of Trainzing!

    Before I did this, I would delete the baseboard then clean up the bits as I went along and that took forever.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

  3. #3

    Default

    Sounds like a terrible bug to me.
    I suggest reporting it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Deepinthehearta, Texas
    Posts
    390
     

    Default

    Thanks, John. It took a while because it was a big route, but that worked. I appreciate your help! -Max



    Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    Isn't that a pain...

    If you are deleting the baseboards, setup the copy paste tool but select an area on an empty baseboard.

    You then paste the empty area and that deletes all the content first on those boards you want to remove and ensures there's nothing floating in mid-air.

    You want to know when this dawned on me to do this? Seriously about a month ago after all these years of Trainzing!

    Before I did this, I would delete the baseboard then clean up the bits as I went along and that took forever.
    maxwerks
    there's an engine at the station
    and the whistle blows my name

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia, Victoria, Craigieburn
    Posts
    1,175
     

    Default

    The other alternative is to add another blank baseboard to the space that was occupied by the original baseboard Delete the blank baseboard. This rids the offending assets off the route.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    642
     

    Default

    maxwerks: ... splines hovering unsupported in "space" ...
    ... you can catch splines by adding ground (= baseboard) under it with Topology "F1" - "X" and then, what jcitron described, empty boardspace copy/paste with tools "F5" - select area "B" - paste "P" ... after that you can delete board with "F1"- delete ground ... no floating splines anymore ...

    oknotsen: ... sounds like a terrible bug ...
    may be it's a bug, but i do this already several versions/builds of trainz, thinking it is a "normal" action ...

    grtz
    daveric

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    25,370
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    Sounds like a terrible bug to me.
    I suggest reporting it.
    I did way back way, way back in TS2009 or TS2010 days, but nothing came of it. The issue must be on the very long list that's coiled up like a scroll and located on the very curled up end by now.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thailand, Phu Pan Nat'l park proud neighbor
    Posts
    3,580
    Blog Entries
    1
     

    Default

    Hi John

    easier to insert a new bboard on the same spot where you notice suspicious splines remaining, it will "visually delete and hopefully in the dbase".
    This is probably one of the oldest "bugs or mishaps" in Trainz history as far as I can remember.
    In the early 80ies i have seen the same trouble already when we developed our own 3D software on mainframes and later on workstations and much much later on pc linux and windows.
    It was pioneering work in those days and amazingly splines than most common in PCB design became very popular up to today.
    Time go so fast it looks like it was last week.
    The ghost thing happen coz when using long splines xing multiple bboards and you see the already hanging over the cliff but miraculously survive in some cases and become ghosts.
    Splines are the weakest and most dangerous asset in the software.
    So always be on the lookout for them when you delete bboards, insert a fresh one where needed and delete again.
    The makers of the famous Canadian Rocky Mountains routes
    Roystrainz new routes are marked with TRS19
    Master my all new Canadian Rocky Mountains routes on TRS19

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States of America, Idaho, Sandpoint
    Posts
    455
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolivar View Post
    The other alternative is to add another blank baseboard to the space that was occupied by the original baseboard Delete the blank baseboard. This rids the offending assets off the route.
    I agree with this. I do it all the time and is the fastest way to deal with the problem of left over stuff since it only requires two mouse-clicks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill
    Posts
    25,370
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoysTrainz View Post
    Hi John

    easier to insert a new bboard on the same spot where you notice suspicious splines remaining, it will "visually delete and hopefully in the dbase".
    This is probably one of the oldest "bugs or mishaps" in Trainz history as far as I can remember.
    In the early 80ies i have seen the same trouble already when we developed our own 3D software on mainframes and later on workstations and much much later on pc linux and windows.
    It was pioneering work in those days and amazingly splines than most common in PCB design became very popular up to today.
    Time go so fast it looks like it was last week.
    The ghost thing happen coz when using long splines xing multiple bboards and you see the already hanging over the cliff but miraculously survive in some cases and become ghosts.
    Splines are the weakest and most dangerous asset in the software.
    So always be on the lookout for them when you delete bboards, insert a fresh one where needed and delete again.
    Wow... Time flies by when you're having fun they say. My late neighbor worked with you when you were doing this stuff too.

    I didn't know that spline-objects were always painful. I always avoid them if possible because they always had poor performance.

    I use that method when I clean up the chaff. It works most of the time unless I miss a few tiny segments I can't see.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •