TANE: Squares Deleted but Assets Remain

maxwerks

TANE: Baseboards Deleted but Assets Remain

Hi All-

I'd like to use part of an existing route as the starting point of a new one in TANE. I saved the old route under a new name and deleted all the baseboards I don't need, but many track and road splines still remain, hovering unsupported in "space" even after the baseboards they were on are gone.

Is there a way to fix this or prevent it from happening, other than manually deleting said track and splines beforehand (because that would take forever in this case)?

Thanks,

Max

Last edited:
Isn't that a pain...

If you are deleting the baseboards, setup the copy paste tool but select an area on an empty baseboard.

You then paste the empty area and that deletes all the content first on those boards you want to remove and ensures there's nothing floating in mid-air.

You want to know when this dawned on me to do this? Seriously about a month ago after all these years of Trainzing!

Before I did this, I would delete the baseboard then clean up the bits as I went along and that took forever.

Thanks, John. It took a while because it was a big route, but that worked. I appreciate your help! -Max

Isn't that a pain...

If you are deleting the baseboards, setup the copy paste tool but select an area on an empty baseboard.

You then paste the empty area and that deletes all the content first on those boards you want to remove and ensures there's nothing floating in mid-air.

You want to know when this dawned on me to do this? Seriously about a month ago after all these years of Trainzing!

Before I did this, I would delete the baseboard then clean up the bits as I went along and that took forever.

The other alternative is to add another blank baseboard to the space that was occupied by the original baseboard Delete the blank baseboard. This rids the offending assets off the route.

maxwerks: ... splines hovering unsupported in "space" ...
... you can catch splines by adding ground (= baseboard) under it with Topology "F1" - "X" and then, what jcitron described, empty boardspace copy/paste with tools "F5" - select area "B" - paste "P" ... after that you can delete board with "F1"- delete ground ... no floating splines anymore ...

oknotsen: ... sounds like a terrible bug ...
may be it's a bug, but i do this already several versions/builds of trainz, thinking it is a "normal" action ...

grtz
daveric

Sounds like a terrible bug to me.
I suggest reporting it.

I did way back way, way back in TS2009 or TS2010 days, but nothing came of it. The issue must be on the very long list that's coiled up like a scroll and located on the very curled up end by now.

Hi John

easier to insert a new bboard on the same spot where you notice suspicious splines remaining, it will "visually delete and hopefully in the dbase".
This is probably one of the oldest "bugs or mishaps" in Trainz history as far as I can remember.
In the early 80ies i have seen the same trouble already when we developed our own 3D software on mainframes and later on workstations and much much later on pc linux and windows.
It was pioneering work in those days and amazingly splines than most common in PCB design became very popular up to today.
Time go so fast it looks like it was last week.
The ghost thing happen coz when using long splines xing multiple bboards and you see the already hanging over the cliff but miraculously survive in some cases and become ghosts.
Splines are the weakest and most dangerous asset in the software.
So always be on the lookout for them when you delete bboards, insert a fresh one where needed and delete again.

The other alternative is to add another blank baseboard to the space that was occupied by the original baseboard Delete the blank baseboard. This rids the offending assets off the route.

I agree with this. I do it all the time and is the fastest way to deal with the problem of left over stuff since it only requires two mouse-clicks.

Hi John

easier to insert a new bboard on the same spot where you notice suspicious splines remaining, it will "visually delete and hopefully in the dbase".
This is probably one of the oldest "bugs or mishaps" in Trainz history as far as I can remember.
In the early 80ies i have seen the same trouble already when we developed our own 3D software on mainframes and later on workstations and much much later on pc linux and windows.
It was pioneering work in those days and amazingly splines than most common in PCB design became very popular up to today.
Time go so fast it looks like it was last week.
The ghost thing happen coz when using long splines xing multiple bboards and you see the already hanging over the cliff but miraculously survive in some cases and become ghosts.
Splines are the weakest and most dangerous asset in the software.
So always be on the lookout for them when you delete bboards, insert a fresh one where needed and delete again.

Wow... Time flies by when you're having fun they say. My late neighbor worked with you when you were doing this stuff too.

I didn't know that spline-objects were always painful. I always avoid them if possible because they always had poor performance.

I use that method when I clean up the chaff. It works most of the time unless I miss a few tiny segments I can't see.

Back