Screen Aspect ratio vs Performance...

horacefithers

I loaded C&O Hinton County.

I have two screens on my computer:
  • 4K 3840 x 2160 (max 60hz)
  • Ultra wide 3840 x 1440 (max 120hz)

I was wondering what kind of frame rates I was getting on each.

On the 4K monitor I was seeing up to 57fps. On a particular scene I was seeing 41fps.

I moved the window to the Ultra wide screen expecting the frame rate to go up because there are fewer pixels...

Wrong! Instead the frame rate dropped to 36-37fps.

How can this be?

CPU: AMD 2950x
GPU: EVGA Ultra Gaming RTS 2080ti
MEM: 3200c16

Program settings:
Shadow quality: Ultra
Main shadow resolution: 4096
Shader Quality: Ultra
Texture detail: High
Post processing: High
Water Quality: High
Detail scenery: Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing: 4x
Detail update rate: Ultra
Use multiple render threads: on
Use texture streaming: on
Use PhysX simulation: on
Process objects behind camera: on

Inquiring minds want to know...

HF

In the launcher, is your vertical sync set to none? That should uncap the fps. Half will cap it to 30, and Full will push for solid 60fps. Only on Trainz plus can I get higher frame rates, but even then it's incredibly strange that I cannot push everything to be on ultra and not get a minimum of 60 fps.

In the launcher, is your vertical sync set to none? That should uncap the fps. Half will cap it to 30, and Full will push for solid 60fps. Only on Trainz plus can I get higher frame rates, but even then it's incredibly strange that I cannot push everything to be on ultra and not get a minimum of 60 fps.

Yeah there have been some performance improvements in the Plus version.

Your hardware limitations will prevent the program from running full-stops at 60 fps. There is just so much data that can be pushed through the computer data buss into memory from disk, processed by the CPU and GPU then pushed out on to the screen. If you have any poorly optimized models, this process will bog down and cause lower frame rates. Program wise there's also a lot going on that contributes to the slower processing as well especially in complex scenarios with lots of AI and interactive industries. This is where the improvements in Trainz-Plus code shine. It's not perfect, but much better than the regular version.

I was running with Vertical sync set to Full.

My ultra-wide monitor is also a G-sync monitor. Could that have something to do with the frame rate anomaly?

HF

Does your graphics card have option to setup G-sync with your display? Check and see. Mine also has Vertical sync option On, Off, Fast or "Use the 3D app setting" - so vert sync can be off on your gpu and game, or on in game, or on on gpu (any any combination). You probably need to experiment for you own setup... I've read that's it's best to let gpu run sync, and also read to let game run sync, and I think also to leave both off. So just try different settings.

(disclamer- Strong Mac guy here... but PC novice - only know this because I recently obtained a new g-sync monitor on my Windows setup. I get close to 60 fps with game sync off and gpu on "Fast" but fps is highly dependent on route and assets used as I'm sure you know.) Perhaps some experts will weigh in... and look through the Parts and Labour forum...

Last edited:
Any settings on the wide screen monitor for hdmi version? just thinking half frame rate and using TV's as a monitor can have that problem if set to the older hdmi.
Or in Windows is the refresh rate for the monitor correct.

Neither monitor is a TV. The 4k monitor is a Dell IPS with max refresh of 60hz. The ultra wide is an Alienware gaming monitor with g-sync and max refresh of 120hz.

According to the nVidia display control software g-sync is disabled.

HF

Did you try launching the game on the native monitor, instead of dragging the window over? The frames alone aren't that much lower, of 41 to 36-37. A small mouse movement, or something rendering on the scene a sec later when you tested could of changed the results. Also just due to a screen res going down, isn't always clear cut better performance. Esp 4k down to 1440p.

Turn G-Sync on as well, no point having it off. As well as turn V-Sync off, esp when combined with the G-Sync.

Back