Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "Quick Drive" truly a session? Where does "Quick Drive" session come from?

Quote Originally Posted by ZecMurphy View Post
    - snip- this is why the menu in the QuickDrive session is shown by default, so you can choose the time, month, and weather that you want.

However the Environment Settings (ie the colours, fog, brightness) are carried over.
    Regards
    ZecMurphy...

Thanks very much for your input on the topic. I've learned some very important things. I think part of the "problem" for me personally is that N3V views FOG as a non-changeable Environment Settings and not simply "weather" (and thus, changeable in Driver). In my mind, Fog s/b controllable as an option in Driver session settings. If I can control rain and snow for ANY session, why can't I control fog? Why is FOG so secrocanct? I mean.. I just went into a Route and (to make a point) and set Heavy Snow in August at a time Rate of 60X. Why can't I bump fog up or down? Just doesn't make sense to me.

But that decision has long been made and I yield to it. The solution for myself I guess is to never use Quick Drive and simply create my own session to "quick drive" a route with my own settings.

Thanks for your participation in the thread here... it has helped me understand some things a lot and I appreciate your help very much.
    TRS19/100240, Plus/103322 - ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce, 224GB system SSD, 1TB EVO SSD

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    In my mind, Fog s/b controllable as an option in Driver session settings. If I can control rain and snow for ANY session, why can't I control fog?
    You can control fog for Quickdrive, but you have to set it (in Surveyor) for the time control point that controls the default time for the Quickdrive session which, unless you change it, is 10:00am. If you set fog for any other time control point it will not apply in Quickdrive until you have driven long enough for that time control point to become active.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    You can control fog for Quickdrive, but you have to set it (in Surveyor) for the time control point that controls the default time for the Quickdrive session which, unless you change it, is 10:00am. If you set fog for any other time control point it will not apply in Quickdrive until you have driven long enough for that time control point to become active.
    I don't understand... Are we calling "Quick drive" the same thing? I'm referring to the Quick Drive "Session" tile in game "sessions." From Quick Drive I have only Driver... I cannot go into Surveyor. I have to create a session to get into Surveyor. And once I create a session I'm not referring to "Quick Drive" any longer... What am I not understanding here? Do I have terms/meanings wrong?
    TRS19/100240, Plus/103322 - ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce, 224GB system SSD, 1TB EVO SSD

And again... I'm speaking from a new user point of view who doesn't even know that Surveyor exists. If you can simply jump into Quick Drive and control weather... why not fog? Why is fog any different than rain or snow?

Quick drive is the same no matter what location it is in. It is a short cut to go straight to a driveable route to have a look.
    If you select a route and open for edit, you are in surveyor, it will create a default session. The route wont function without a session attached. If you build your route and select Quick drive from the drop down menu, you are taken straight to the driver mode to drive trains you have placed.
    If you select route and click on one of the session boxes that appear you can then select edit session and you will be in surveyor again with the route and attached session. Quick drive from the drop down menu will once again take you to the driver mode.
    Quick drive in the session selection just takes you to the first session created in to driver mode. If you select the next session along you need to click on drive session which is all so equal to quick drive.

Concening "Quick Drive" - Thanks for those details stagecoach... appreciate the input and I'm still learning much. I guess I think of "Quick Drive" as only being the "Quick Drive" "Session" and I guess that is wrong.

As to Fog settings also discussed:
    I say one more time that I am addressing this from a NEW USER point of view who does not even know about creating routes, sessions, etc. I can't say it much simpler than that. Rain can be set in Session options, Snow can be set in session options, time can be changed in session options.. why not FOG? (WITHOUT editing route, creating session, etc etc etc)

Let's let this topic die.....
    Last edited by 1611mac; August 23rd, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

It is a long learning curve but the results are good. Even long term fans are still learning as each release comes up with something new. Fog is set up different to snow and rain as it uses the clock to turn on and off the fog. It also has different density set for those various times. Early morning might have thick fog until 08.00hrs and then you make it thinner as the time goes on and the sun comes up. It is the same for water colour, this is controlled within a route as do the cloud formations.

Open Trainz and select create new route. You now have both the new route and a session. Go to the drop down menus top left and look for edit environment to see where the fog, water and sky can be set up.

Got all that... I have done sessons and worked on a couple of routes so I'm somewhat familiar with all that (though I'm constantly learning.)

My "questions/thoughts" in this whole thing, I think, could be summed up by the phrase "first run usability." Sometimes things just don't make sense to me. For example, why do saved sessions appear in the same window as the original session itself. (yes, I know. A saved session is a session.)

In my hast of deleting saved sessions I have mistakenly deleted the session itself (no big deal... just re-download). But just as "Sessions" are shown when "Route" is clicked, "Saved Sessions" should be shown separately when the Session is clicked. This is the type of thing that can drive the new user crazy.

Minor and "picky" things maybe.. but too much fog in a QuickDrive... mixing Saved sessions with downloaded sessions.... I see some first timers giving up on Trainz'ing for no good reason simply due to confusion.... and that is a sad thing.

When you save a route, a session is all so saved. These sessions only relate to the route it was saved with. A session could be all steam trains or the next session might be diesel trains or a freight or passenger session. All those sessions share the same route so show up along side each other. If creating your own route you should save. When you want to reopen the route to edit, don't edit route but select the session that was saved and edit session. This will open the saved route and session and will not create new session. Each session can be selected and then drive session will take you to the drive mode and you have the same route but a different setup to the other sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    I say one more time that I am addressing this from a NEW USER point of view who does not even know about creating routes, sessions, etc. I can't say it much simpler than that. Rain can be set in Session options, Snow can be set in session options, time can be changed in session options.. why not FOG? (WITHOUT editing route, creating session, etc etc etc)
    That's correct. As a new user you should not be concerned with sessions. They are an advanced topic that can be avoided altogether by only using Quickdrive. Quickdrive is there to avoid the need to even look at the sessions menu. Do not select the Quickdrive session from the sessions menu - it shouldn't be there.

Set your options in Surveyor and select Quickdrive from the menu. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by stagecoach View Post
    When you save a route, a session is all so saved. These sessions only relate to the route it was saved with. A session could be all steam trains or the next session might be diesel trains or a freight or passenger session. All those sessions share the same route so show up along side each other. If creating your own route you should save. When you want to reopen the route to edit, don't edit route but select the session that was saved and edit session. This will open the saved route and session and will not create new session. Each session can be selected and then drive session will take you to the drive mode and you have the same route but a different setup to the other sessions.
    I understand that... Evidently I can't explain myself very well. I'm not referring to sessions proper (from Surveyor)... I'm referring to saved DRIVER runs of a session which end up appearing with the original session... those "saved games" you often do during a session run (Driver). Don't show them with the other route Sessions. Instead, the Saved game runs should be shown separately by clicking the "host" session. So you would have Routes, Sessions, Session Saves - or perhaps "Game Saves". (Click the Session to see the "Driver" in game saves.)

I don't see why the save of a Driver session, when Surveyor has not been invoked, is shown as a separate session along with all the other sessions. It's just the game save of an existing Session...

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    That's correct. As a new user you should not be concerned with sessions. They are an advanced topic that can be avoided altogether by only using Quickdrive. Quickdrive is there to avoid the need to even look at the sessions menu. Do not select the Quickdrive session from the sessions menu - it shouldn't be there.

Set your options in Surveyor and select Quickdrive from the menu. Done.
    Yes... I think you are correct!

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Earlier versions of Trainz did have saved game files instead of saved sessions. I'm not sure when it changed but it was changed for some reason. I can tell you that "saved games" had all kinds of issues when trying to resume play from them. Perhaps the change was made to solve that problem. When you have been here a while you will learn that changes to the game are often defended by N3V as in response to overwhelming numbers of public requests. I would refer you to post #10 from Zec. He is employee of N3V I believe, (They do pay you Zec, don't they?)

I understand that you are offering your experience as a new user. Perhaps posting in the Suggestions forum might get the attention of the other N3V guys.

William

When I think of the "robust-ness" (new word?) of the Trainz world I realize that the issues I mentioned and my thoughts are nothing. Compared to the technology of the new capabilities in TRS19 (PBR and such) I realize my "hang-ups" are laughable. My posts are totally in view of seeing the new user come in and possibly "giving up." I just hate to see new users "turned off" by UI that at times seems to not make sense. Those "day one" users who have not yet grasped the complexities of the franchise and appreciate that the "monster" actually works. I just can't conceive of the complexities involved in making all this work - Driver, Surveyor, DLS, CM, etc etc etc.
    Last edited by 1611mac; August 24th, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

On the contrary, I assume that N3V wants input from new users otherwise why have an open beta program. I'm just suggesting that conveying your opinion is best done through a forum that might get it noticed. N3V is a very small company and this forum is managed mostly by volunteers. Zec is the only official voice and I hope he gets more than beer money for his efforts.

William