Downloads pause.

Stationbeem

Over 60's Club
When downloading routes it seems to pause towards the end. I have waited up to an hour before stopping download and restarting. Is this a glitch I the download procedure. It only happens with routes.

When downloading routes it seems to pause towards the end. I have waited up to an hour before stopping download and restarting. Is this a glitch I the download procedure. It only happens with routes.

The pause at the end is the closing off of the download process and the final committing (submitting these days), and this writing process is what slows things down.

When was the last time you defragged your hard disk - if it's a regular hard drive?

or When was the last time you checked your drive(s) for errors?

I'm saying this from past experience. I recently replaced a hard disk due to bad performance with similar things happening as you describe them, but not as long as that. I checked the drive with hard drive sentinel https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php (There's a free version), and I was shocked. The drive had a lot of errors - retries as the data was being written, which was causing the performance issue. After replacing the drive, everything was back to normal.

If it only happens with routes then it is Content Manager working out what dependencies you also need to download for the route. An hour is too long, however, and indicates a problem with re-validating you as an authorised user for finalising the download - it happens when the validation servers are overloaded or you have a poor connection. Stopping the download and immediately restarting it usually finishes the process promptly.

Thanks for replies guys. Problem solved. My router was faulty, resetting it's self. Internet provider replaced it at no cost to me.

Regards Dave.

Back