Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To procedural or not procedural? That is the questiong (re track anyway)...

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by GDennish View Post
    It's based on those ones, but modernized. It was about time to make track that replaces those ancient tracks. I made them so I would know.

The dusty track I made is made with wooden sleepers that have a height map and some modeled detail so they look really good up close. Lods were tricky on them but I think they look really good now (thanks Paul). You have the option between spiked and the bolted ones (not sure about the exact terminology here), with ballast and no ballast options.

What looks wrong about the ballast? Ballast textures are tiled so you need to create a texture that it is high resolution enough but can tile. In this sense it is more difficult to add detail that will look realistic and won't get cut off. One of my goals was to make the ballast match with the original as much as possible to when the tracks obsolete the old ones, they don't ruin the old routes that used them originally. Always open to feedback!
    Ah, I was only referring to the old low poly tracks. I'll have to find your new ones and check them out. I'm sure they are great. Having them obsolete the old tracks will be fantastic. I spent hundreds of hours replacing 1 track wood US on downloaded layouts that I enjoyed running.

Thanks,
    William

United States of America, Oregon, Portland

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post

There is no NG42
    I updated some of my NG42 track to PBR. I haven't gotten to all of it yet, but the stuff at build 4.6 is all PBR.
    I'm not saying it's any good, but it's there

Curtis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil42 View Post
    I updated some of my NG42 track to PBR. I haven't gotten to all of it yet, but the stuff at build 4.6 is all PBR.
    Thank you Curtis. I updated your older build 2.9 NG42 track to your latest 4.6 build in my current project as soon as it appeared on the DLS, so it seems that I have been using PBR track after all. It does look good.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!