What should I do? - London UK edition

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
So I'm traveling to London at the end of September for a week of vacation & to celebrate my birthday. I've been before, so have gotten a lot of the normal stuff checked off the list. Lets open up the calendar for suggestions, what should I do while I'm there?

peter

To me the theatre, Royal Shakespeare Company, possibly the new Globe theatre? The prices are higher than my youth. I think it depends very much on your interests as there is a very wide variety of things to do.

Cheerio John

If you want to do railway related things then the Bluebell and Mid-Hants steam railways are easy to get to from London. The London Transport Museum is recommended too (check if their depot open day coincides with your visit).

We were in England in April and visited the Cotswolds but we did make a day trip to London via the GWR. We got several good ideas from this YouTube channel. A word of warning, we ran into several protests that brought the buses to a standstill. Be prepared to walk a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/loveandlondon

William

If you have the time and budget, the city of York is roughly two hours north from London Kings Cross and the UK National Rail Museum is about a ten minute walk away just to the west of the station. York Minster is worth a visit and the original Roman base HQ is visible in the undercroft. The City walls survive in sections. There is enough to do there to justify an overnight stay, but you may already have your whole trip's accommodation booked.

If you have the time and budget, the city of York is roughly two hours north from London Kings Cross and the UK National Rail Museum is about a ten minute walk away just to the west of the station. York Minster is worth a visit and the original Roman base HQ is visible in the undercroft. The City walls survive in sections. There is enough to do there to justify an overnight stay, but you may already have your whole trip's accommodation booked.

I'd suggest spending some time outside London as well. The fish and chips are cheaper and better up north.

Cheerio John

I'd suggest spending some time outside London as well. The fish and chips are cheaper and better up north.

Cheerio John

Tell me about it, they were rubbish last time I was in London & much better on the seaside.

I've done most things suggested here already on my last trip:
Visited The Globe (didn't see a show however) last time... shows are probably still a bit out of my budget.
Hit up Mid-Hants last time, even met up with a Trainz community member there.
Spent some time in York last time as well, did do the NRM, saw some of the walls... didn't see Minster.

Back