Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Urgent Question: Beans on Toast?

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Escaping English and Scottish food was why America was established wasn’t it?
    You would be surprised how much my childhood in the sixties resembled life in England. In the deep south, many of the traditions that our ancestors brought from England survived until television started making us all act alike.

When we were in England in the spring, we stayed in the Cotswolds. The lovely village of Broadwell was our home base but we traveled all over the area. And we made a point of eating real English food. Fish and chips in the village pub, bangers and mash, full English for breakfast and Sunday roast dinner.

And yes, as a child I would sit on the back porch peeling potatoes to be cut into proper chips fried in a deep iron skillet to go with the fried fish.

William

You can spice up your beans with a little bit of curry powder when cooking them. Very tasty and adds a bit of zing to the following bout of flatulence!

Rob.

I use Worcester Sauce......
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    I use Worcester Sauce......
    Likewise!
    I also like Worcester Sauce on cheese on toast too
    Graham,

A member of TCWW

Yep, Worcester Sauce, the archetypal 'bottle of flavour'. My mrs. gets very annoyed when I use it on my meals - I don't know why!

Rob.

Ok, that raises a question. Every day of my life there has been a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire sauce in the kitchen of every home I have lived in. Is that the same as Worcester sauce? Perhaps a different name for trademark issues? Also, while in England I had the "brown sauce" which to me taste similar to Heinz 57 sauce. Is there a brand name for the "brown sauce"?

William

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Ok, that raises a question. Every day of my life there has been a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire sauce in the kitchen of every home I have lived in. Is that the same as Worcester sauce? Perhaps a different name for trademark issues? Also, while in England I had the "brown sauce" which to me taste similar to Heinz 57 sauce. Is there a brand name for the "brown sauce"?

William
    HP sauce .https://www.ocado.com/products/hp-sauce-13991011
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Blog Entries

William
    I have a bottle of Holbrooks Worcestershire sauce in my, or is my wife's, pantry. Probably much the same thing. Very thin but spicy sauce that works well on poached eggs and oysters (Oysters Kilpatrick). The brown sauce I've also seen named "Father's Favourite". Sounds a bit 1950's to me. I never liked it.

Paul

In the UK, not just England (do folk from the USA still refer to the whole of the UK as 'England'?), there are many brands of brown sauce e.g. HP, probably the most well known, Daddies, OK and now many supermarket own brands which tend to be somewhat indifferent and bland.

Rob.
    Last edited by robd; August 27th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.

Yes, I can say England to anyone here and they know what I mean. Britain would be understood by many people. Great Britain would get even less awareness. And the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be met with "Where"? In my case, I say England as that is where my ancestors came from; Bedford, York, Kent and Leicester. The paternal lines of all four of my grandparents (Reeder, Overton, Burdett and Smith) came to the colonies prior to 1700. And here, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is known as the Queen of England and no one would understand the Commonwealth.

In the world cup, I cheer for the Three Lions playing under the flag of St. George.

Thank you both for the brand names. Maybe I can find some online for purchase.

William

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

My Nan used to make steak and kidney pie and also made kippers and eggs for breakfast. In 1985 we took a trip over to the UK. We stayed in London but journeyed down to the Channel and visited Hastings and other places all by rail. We also took a trip up to Liverpool to look for information on her grandmother, but that unfortunately was destroyed in WWII.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

probably too late for you now, but...

1) I find the Heinz and Branson baked beans are fine - "budget" or own brand versions give me severe wind.
    2) I always use HP sauce on mine - my wife can't stand it, so there are personal preferences.
    3) But a high quality bread for toasting - most loaves these days are "baked" by steaming. There are ok for eating as bread, but will turn soggy very quickly as toast - and that's before the baked beans hit them!

If you feel nostalgic for British chips, make oven chips instead.
    1) cut potatoes into chip size pieces (or wedges - your choice!) - peel if you want to.
    2) place in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes (no more!)
    3) plunge into cold water and wait until cold.
    4) drain and dry with kitchen paper (or a towel)
    5) place on a baking tray, season with salt, pepper and paprika (optional).
    6) spray with oil
    7) place in an oven at 220C [428F] (210C [410F]for fan oven) for 35 minutes or until golden - I'm not messing about with Gas mark settings!
    Note - the potatoes you use make a huge difference: our preferences are King Edwards; Mozart; Rooster. Don't go for ones that are "waxy"

Colin

Blog Entries

It seems that not everyone is eating caviar or having avocado breakfasts (hot topic in Australia at present ). Nothing wrong with hot chips or baked beans on toast.

Paul

Yes, I can say England to anyone here and they know what I mean. Britain would be understood by many people. Great Britain would get even less awareness. And the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be met with "Where"? In my case, I say England as that is where my ancestors came from; Bedford, York, Kent and Leicester. The paternal lines of all four of my grandparents (Reeder, Overton, Burdett and Smith) came to the colonies prior to 1700. And here, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is known as the Queen of England and no one would understand the Commonwealth.

In the world cup, I cheer for the Three Lions playing under the flag of St. George.

Thank you both for the brand names. Maybe I can find some online for purchase.

William
    Hello William. Nice to see that you have had relations from Leicester. If you need any help in tracing anyone from Leicester, please let me know as my mother has done a lot of family tree research and may be able to help you if you have any missing links. Her side of the family names that I know off the top of my head are Wilson, Street, and a family link to Amos Sheriff, a former Lord mayor of Leicester and reformist. On my Fathers side, we have a lot of history missing as my Grandfather was adopted. His mother moved to Australia, and his father moved to possibly America and/or Canada before World War One.

Regards.
    CaptEngland.
    HP Omen Intel i7-6700 3.40Ghz OC @ 4Ghz, 16 Gb ram DDR4 1200 Mhz, GTX1080 8Gig, 256Gb SD, 8 TB HD

Thanks Colin, I will try the oven fried chips.

pcas1986, yes, avocado spread on toast is all the rage here too.

CaptEngland, Thank you for the kind offer. I may take you up on it when I know the right questions to ask.

William