Very Urgent Question: Beans on Toast?

Ok, that raises a question. Every day of my life there has been a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire sauce in the kitchen of every home I have lived in. Is that the same as Worcester sauce? Perhaps a different name for trademark issues? Also, while in England I had the "brown sauce" which to me taste similar to Heinz 57 sauce. Is there a brand name for the "brown sauce"?

William

Ok, that raises a question. Every day of my life there has been a bottle of Heinz Worcestershire sauce in the kitchen of every home I have lived in. Is that the same as Worcester sauce? Perhaps a different name for trademark issues? Also, while in England I had the "brown sauce" which to me taste similar to Heinz 57 sauce. Is there a brand name for the "brown sauce"?

William

HP sauce .https://www.ocado.com/products/hp-sauce-13991011

William

I have a bottle of Holbrooks Worcestershire sauce in my, or is my wife's, pantry. Probably much the same thing. Very thin but spicy sauce that works well on poached eggs and oysters (Oysters Kilpatrick). The brown sauce I've also seen named "Father's Favourite". Sounds a bit 1950's to me. I never liked it.

In the UK, not just England (do folk from the USA still refer to the whole of the UK as 'England'?), there are many brands of brown sauce e.g. HP, probably the most well known, Daddies, OK and now many supermarket own brands which tend to be somewhat indifferent and bland.

Rob.

Last edited:
Yes, I can say England to anyone here and they know what I mean. Britain would be understood by many people. Great Britain would get even less awareness. And the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be met with "Where"? In my case, I say England as that is where my ancestors came from; Bedford, York, Kent and Leicester. The paternal lines of all four of my grandparents (Reeder, Overton, Burdett and Smith) came to the colonies prior to 1700. And here, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is known as the Queen of England and no one would understand the Commonwealth.

In the world cup, I cheer for the Three Lions playing under the flag of St. George.

Thank you both for the brand names. Maybe I can find some online for purchase.

William

My Nan used to make steak and kidney pie and also made kippers and eggs for breakfast. In 1985 we took a trip over to the UK. We stayed in London but journeyed down to the Channel and visited Hastings and other places all by rail. We also took a trip up to Liverpool to look for information on her grandmother, but that unfortunately was destroyed in WWII.

probably too late for you now, but...

1) I find the Heinz and Branson baked beans are fine - "budget" or own brand versions give me severe wind.
2) I always use HP sauce on mine - my wife can't stand it, so there are personal preferences.
3) But a high quality bread for toasting - most loaves these days are "baked" by steaming. There are ok for eating as bread, but will turn soggy very quickly as toast - and that's before the baked beans hit them!

If you feel nostalgic for British chips, make oven chips instead.
1) cut potatoes into chip size pieces (or wedges - your choice!) - peel if you want to.
2) place in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes (no more!)
3) plunge into cold water and wait until cold.
4) drain and dry with kitchen paper (or a towel)
5) place on a baking tray, season with salt, pepper and paprika (optional).
6) spray with oil
7) place in an oven at 220C [428F] (210C [410F]for fan oven) for 35 minutes or until golden - I'm not messing about with Gas mark settings!
Note - the potatoes you use make a huge difference: our preferences are King Edwards; Mozart; Rooster. Don't go for ones that are "waxy"

Colin

It seems that not everyone is eating caviar or having avocado breakfasts (hot topic in Australia at present :)). Nothing wrong with hot chips or baked beans on toast.

Yes, I can say England to anyone here and they know what I mean. Britain would be understood by many people. Great Britain would get even less awareness. And the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would be met with "Where"? In my case, I say England as that is where my ancestors came from; Bedford, York, Kent and Leicester. The paternal lines of all four of my grandparents (Reeder, Overton, Burdett and Smith) came to the colonies prior to 1700. And here, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is known as the Queen of England and no one would understand the Commonwealth.

In the world cup, I cheer for the Three Lions playing under the flag of St. George.

Thank you both for the brand names. Maybe I can find some online for purchase.

William

Hello William. Nice to see that you have had relations from Leicester. If you need any help in tracing anyone from Leicester, please let me know as my mother has done a lot of family tree research and may be able to help you if you have any missing links. Her side of the family names that I know off the top of my head are Wilson, Street, and a family link to Amos Sheriff, a former Lord mayor of Leicester and reformist. On my Fathers side, we have a lot of history missing as my Grandfather was adopted. His mother moved to Australia, and his father moved to possibly America and/or Canada before World War One.

Regards.
CaptEngland.

Thanks Colin, I will try the oven fried chips.

pcas1986, yes, avocado spread on toast is all the rage here too.

CaptEngland, Thank you for the kind offer. I may take you up on it when I know the right questions to ask.

William

The Worcester sauce is something what I will have connected to steak tartare forever. Yum, yum!

Last edited:
Avacado's are gross. Blah!

We've made homemade baked beans. They're great cold in sandwiches too.

The picture of the bottles say Original, doesn't say but those prices are more applicable to a pack of say 6 or 8, a single bottle in the supermarket down the road is around £1 or £1.50 for a larger one.

The picture of the bottles say Original, doesn't say but those prices are more applicable to a pack of say 6 or 8, a single bottle in the supermarket down the road is around £1 or £1.50 for a larger one.

Don't forget currency exchange rates, shipping and handling costs, and any other expenses that would make it more expensive to get via Amazon than thru your local supermarket.

Another British food, Cheddar Cheese, originally made in Somerset, can now be found, and indeed manufactured, in many countries around the world, even in the US, I believe. Of course the name 'Cheddar Cheese' has become synonymous with a cheese(y) style. Strangely, Cheddar Cheese has never been given the EU source protection status such as the likes of Blue Stilton cheese but can be classified as originally sourced in UK, by the EU, if the Cheddar cheese is actually made in Somerset and is named as 'Original West Country Cheese' (or something similar, I forget the exact wording). All that could change after October 31st 2019 if Boris Johnson gets what he wants!

The Chinese are getting a taste for it too: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...hinese-taste-Cathedral-City-cheddar-mild.html

Rob.

Back