Very Urgent Question: Beans on Toast?

wreeder

RGS Railfan
I'm continuing to explore my heritage and after visiting England this past spring where we sampled many classic English foods I want to try beans on toast. My question is should the beans be hot, cold or room temperature?

Many thanks,
William

Heinz baked beans? Hot, with a slice of cheddar cheese between the beans and toast. Easy meal and surprisingly nutritious.

You know your off the rails - when you start talking about BEANZ!
After all "Beanz Meanz Heinz" does it not!

Personally, I like my beanz with fried chopped smoked maple glazed bacon - brings out the gourmet in me I guess.

I like beans a lot, but can't get why toast is roasted when soaked then by the sauce from beans. Must be extremely pasty...brrrr :p

My late mother had a weird tasty thing. She would like to spread a sandwich with butter put cheese on then spread plum jam on top of the cheese!

I will never ever eat another bean ever again, too much astronomical gastronomical pain

Last edited:
Mmm, Heinz beans (heated) on toast followed by bananas and custard. We knew how to live back in the 70s! :udrool:

Paul

Escaping English and Scottish food was why America was established wasn’t it?

You would be surprised how much my childhood in the sixties resembled life in England. In the deep south, many of the traditions that our ancestors brought from England survived until television started making us all act alike.

When we were in England in the spring, we stayed in the Cotswolds. The lovely village of Broadwell was our home base but we traveled all over the area. And we made a point of eating real English food. Fish and chips in the village pub, bangers and mash, full English for breakfast and Sunday roast dinner.

And yes, as a child I would sit on the back porch peeling potatoes to be cut into proper chips fried in a deep iron skillet to go with the fried fish.

William

You can spice up your beans with a little bit of curry powder when cooking them. Very tasty and adds a bit of zing to the following bout of flatulence!

Rob.

Yep, Worcester Sauce, the archetypal 'bottle of flavour'. My mrs. gets very annoyed when I use it on my meals - I don't know why!

Rob.

Back