Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit of Help route building / making it download station worthy. (UK fictional Route)

Thank you all :-)

I'm a bit OTT with detail, if something has a gap or even the terrain looking off it bugs me!

Your comments shall keep me going and I hope someday soon you'll actually be able to download it and drive it yourself ��

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

That's definitely a job well done here!

I'm the same way with my routes. I detest floating track and other splines and will go back and readjust stuff until I get it right. That's why it's a good idea to take a drive on the route. I set hte AI to drive while I go along for the ride and look out the cab for things to fix. This gives me a chance too to find a missing switch lever, trees in the way, and to enjoy the fruits of all my hard work I put into the route.

Another thing to do is take a walk on the route at track level using the ALT+Y camera view. This will give you a chance to check for crooked track and for spots that slow down. If the route moves really, really quickly in Surveyor, it'll move quickly in Driver most of the time. If you have any sudden stutters or a slow down in this mode, it's time to troubleshoot.

My long route is about 190 miles long and has parts in it that date back to the earliest route I started. I've tried my best to stick to the theme of a regional railway and have replaced and updated sections over the intervening years.

Using Vern's technique, I brought in a couple of TransDEM generated routes and put in a line where nothing existed, but could have. That makes for some interesting engineering as I aim to keep the roads and existing infrastructure in place. Complex crossroads become town centers and long stretches of road become suburban housing developments. As the route moved on, I found places to put in factories and mills similar to where I live in northeastern US.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Going by the screenshots you certainly have an excellent eye for realism and the technical skills to create it. If the problem is just 'keeping at it' then I'd agree with the earlier suggestion of setting an achievable chunk as a target for each modelling session. Personally I see detail as vital but I don't get into it from the beginning. I try and get something (Eg a village, or a station, or a junction) just upto what Consider as 'first pass standard.' I then do a sweep of the superdetail at the end. That way I find I do get bogged down with superdetail in one area and bare board in another. Your work looks like real quality - keep at it!
    Member of tcww

Quote Originally Posted by beep55 View Post
    I've posted some screenshots elsewhere in the forum, but any help would be great.
    Screenshots will get nice comments, but if you really want constructive feedback you need to ask for volunteer testers and provide them with the route to test on their own systems.

That looks very, very good.
    You have some nice scenes and a great sense of proportion.
    The roundabout under the embankment is an excellent feature.

Keep up the good work and keep us informed of progress.

A tip for getting larger images from My Gallery.
    Click to show full image, then right click on your image and click copy image location.
    I then open a new browser tab and paste the address in the address bar and click enter. It is there for you to see full size.
    Open up a new browser tab for each image then when you are ready to put it in the forum, copy the good one's address from the address bar and place it in the input box.

Like this..

Graham,

A member of TCWW

Thanks once again for all your kind comments.

I would like to offer this route for testing soon. No idea how I'd go about that? Would anyone be interested? Also does anyone release routes as payware? I've not really thought about it, but someone has suggested I should?

I have noticed that at random intervals the route seems to stutter in drive, particularly annoying when driving a steam lock, the screen freezes then speed of loco flies up by 3-4 MPH then drop again. Strangely this does happen in areas that aren't populated with much?

Either way I shall keep going!