Copy a Kuid Number

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize.

My question is this: Is there an easier way to copy the Kuid number of an asset in CMP without opening the Config file? In previous versions you could just look at the asset's config without having to open the whole darn thing for Edit.

I fear a misinterpretation of your question, but in case I did not:

Select asset.
Press <CTRL-C>

You get the name of the asset as a bonus in the process.

I've had issues with the Ctrl+C not Ctrl+C'ing like it's supposed and for some reason the pasting pasted something from hours before. When that occurs, I highlight what I want then go to the edit menu and choose copy.

I have had trouble with both the keyboard Ctrl-C/V and the menu Copy/Paste methods not working every time (i.e. not always refreshing the contents of the Clipboard). When I raised it here in the Forum previously, I was told (by Clam1952 ?) that it was a Windows 10 problem, not a fault in CM.

I have had the same issue Dinorius. I have had to select something else then go back and select the original asset and try edit-copy again. Usually works the second time, but it seems odd. If it is Windows 10 it does not appear to be an issue with any other app I have tried....

A variation to all of the above: on #1, the question is to copy the KUID of an asset. The answers are correct. Now, you want to change the sound of a horn (example). Your only or best solution is to go to the horn asset, open it and do the <ctrl>+C on the highlited asset KUID. Then go to the loco config file, find the KUID of the horn, highlite it and <ctrl>+V, and go to the bottom of the file and do the same on the list of KUIDs. But clever people may know of a better way..?

Now, you want to change the sound of a horn (example). Your only or best solution is to go to the horn asset, open it and do the <ctrl>+C on the highlited asset KUID.
You can get the KUID of the horn asset using Ctrl+C in Content Manager - there is no need to open the asset. The KUID you copy from the config.txt file will be the same as the one that is visible in CM. If you paste the copy from CM then you need to remove the name.

One other option is to right click the asset in question and select 'List assets in new window,' then at the top of the new window under the filter you'll be able to highlight and copy just the kuid itself. Kind of roundabout but eliminates the need to remove the asset name afterwards.

One other option is to right click the asset in question and select 'List assets in new window,' then at the top of the new window under the filter you'll be able to highlight and copy just the kuid itself. Kind of roundabout but eliminates the need to remove the asset name afterwards.

I use this method when I want to copy the Kuid for some other purpose such as search on the Trainz Kuid Index, or build a list of Kuids for another purpose.

I have had the same issue Dinorius. I have had to select something else then go back and select the original asset and try edit-copy again. Usually works the second time, but it seems odd. If it is Windows 10 it does not appear to be an issue with any other app I have tried....

I agree. It's only with CM that the copy/paste process seems to work erratically, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's a Windows 10 thing.

It's only with CM that the copy/paste process seems to work erratically, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's a Windows 10 thing.
Just because it is highlighted doesn't mean it is selected - the focus could be elsewhere on the form. Some applications will force the selection back to the most obvious component when the copy occurs, but not CM.

Just because it is highlighted doesn't mean it is selected - the focus could be elsewhere on the form. Some applications will force the selection back to the most obvious component when the copy occurs, but not CM.

If CM doesn't select highlighted item(s) then it still counts as a bug in CM not in Win 10, does it not?

If CM doesn't select highlighted item(s) then it still counts as a bug in CM not in Win 10, does it not?
CM will select the highlighted item if the focus is on the list. But if the focus is elsewhere, such as the search text or a filter value, then that's the value that will get copied (if there is anything to copy). The alternative used in some applications is to change the highlighting when the focus isn't on the list.

Back