Road-Rail Level Crossing does not work in TMR17

Viraf

In TMR17 when I place a level crossing (Tside-1t level crossing) two downward arrows appear on the road sides. The tracks readily snap on the track spline points but the roads never snap on the road spline points. If a gap remains between the road and the crossing the cars don't go through. Sometimes the roads will just connect with each other over the crossing and the cars will go through but when the train comes and the gates go down the cars still keep going as they roads are not really connected to the crossing. What is the procedure to make the roads connect properly?

Depends on what road you are using. If you use the same road as the crossing then they will connect. Some other roads might connect from the crossing others you may have to connect to the crossing.

Someone suggested to me long ago not even to use the crossings, just stretch the road spline over the track and then sink the road level to the point where the rails show through. That works great for the most part, but not if you want a wood or concrete crossing....

Someone suggested to me long ago not even to use the crossings, just stretch the road spline over the track and then sink the road level to the point where the rails show through. That works great for the most part, but not if you want a wood or concrete crossing....

Jointed Rail has made some track-object crossings that will work. Look for JR wood, for example.

<kuid2:487560:26011:2> JR Wood Grade Crossing 1
<kuid2:487560:26010:3> JR Wood Grade Crossing

and a rubberized crossing as well:

<kuid:334896:26152> JR Rubber Grade Crossing

With these you want to "sink" the tracks into the road a bit so that the crossing boards don't stick up too high above the road.

Thanks for the tip John! Does anyone know of a concrete and steel one? That is replacing the old wood as time goes by, but wood is still good for the classic or rural look...

Thanks for the tip John! Does anyone know of a concrete and steel one? That is replacing the old wood as time goes by, but wood is still good for the classic or rural look...

There's a concrete one too:

<kuid:334896:26151> JR Concrete Grade Crossing

This is marked built-in.

Do you know which road matches with the Tside 1t crossing? I tried all the installed roads and none of them match.

The JR Wood crossings have no spline points for the roads. It is the same as simply laying a road across the rail. The trains as well as cars can go across. But when there is a train on the crossing the cars simply go through the train.

The beams on the Tside crossing can raise and lower when the train passes but the cars don't obey the barriers as the roads never snap on to the crossing. On the road spline points of the level crossing two downward pointing arrows appear and they never go away no matter what I do with the roads.

Hence, thanks for all your comments but nothing fully works.

The track-side crossing objects (T-side crossing objects) are for show. If you want an active crossing, you need to use ATLS or TRC components. The crossing objects such as those crossing boards and concrete pads, can be used on interactive crossing such as the BNSF50 Grade xing US - series. You simply place these on top of the active road crossing.

I finally got it! The 'Tside 1t Level Crossing' object was used in earlier versions of the game and is now invalid. The correct one to use for TS2009 and later versions is 'Tside Crossing 1' <kuid:25:906>. It has to be installed from the Content Manager in TMR17 and the obsolete version deleted.
The crossing should be placed on level ground. The tracks and roads readily snap on to it. The Levelling tool should be used to adjust the ground level as the road is slightly depressed. I did not find any restriction on the type of road, though the one which looks almost identical to the crossing is 'Road' <kuid:2:36713:37300:1>.
When a train approaches the booms come down and the cars slow down and stop near the crossing. They even line up behind each other. After the train passes the booms lift and the cars go through.
No one has used this? It is a delight to watch.

I finally got it! The 'Tside 1t Level Crossing' object was used in earlier versions of the game and is now invalid. The correct one to use for TS2009 and later versions is 'Tside Crossing 1' <kuid:25:906>. It has to be installed from the Content Manager in TMR17 and the obsolete version deleted.
The crossing should be placed on level ground. The tracks and roads readily snap on to it. The Levelling tool should be used to adjust the ground level as the road is slightly depressed. I did not find any restriction on the type of road, though the one which looks almost identical to the crossing is 'Road' <kuid:2:36713:37300:1>.
When a train approaches the booms come down and the cars slow down and stop near the crossing. They even line up behind each other. After the train passes the booms lift and the cars go through.
No one has used this? It is a delight to watch.

Yup use them all the time. A US equivalent by BNSF50 is one of many grade crossings called Grade Xing US 2l 1t (two lane one track) for example. These "fixed" crossing have their advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is they're easy to place and hook up, the disadvantages are that they only come in fixed directions so they don't fit in all locations since they only come in 45-deg and 315-deg angles. There are some other crossings by other creators that are different angles as well, but still the same issue remains of being stuck at the supplied angle.

The alternative is to use the more complex ATLS or TRC crossings which are both made up of individual components that be placed at any angle as needed. The disadvantage is that the parts need to be configured and "wired' up together and that extra process is required for each crossing placed on the route. The other advantage here is that this type of crossing can be triggered many, many meters away that are lot more than what is supplied by the built-in script used in the fixed-type crossings.

On my routes, I use both kinds as needed depending upon the situation. For those areas that are straight as an arrow, I use the fixed kind, and use the other custom-configured kind for those areas where the others don't work.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 'Grade Xing US 2l 1t' and it was very easy to install and connect. It works beautifully and even has the blinking red lights, which the 'Tside Crossing 1' lacks. There are so many objects available under Grade Xing it is hard to know what each one does. But this is good enough. Thanks for the tip.

The tside crossings are ancient stuff from early Trainz days, should have been de-junked from the game years ago.

Depending on the prototype, try using the TRC crossings and system. far more up to date... :)

The TS12:TRC 3 Trigger for closure may work. Has some activity options. Set you distance to close or open.

Thanks for the tip John! Does anyone know of a concrete and steel one? That is replacing the old wood as time goes by, but wood is still good for the classic or rural look...​

Jointed Rail has those as well. Track objects and should either be built-in or perhaps on the DLS these days. JR Crossing Concrete I think it's called.

Back