question on missing texture files

Forester1

Hi! I am trying to fix a few assets similar to this one:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]<kuid2:35815:6125:2> BNSF SD9 6125

Here is the error:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]; <NULL> Loading mesh sd9_undec_body/lod3.im
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE170: Failed to open compiled texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_1a.texture' for 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-96||kuid2 35815 6125 2.tzarc|'
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE165: Texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_1a.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'sd9_undec_body/lod3.im', material '*lod3*B64F0BB1*mtl #5*m.onetex'.
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE170: Failed to open compiled texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_1b.texture' for 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-96||kuid2 35815 6125 2.tzarc|'
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE165: Texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_1b.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'sd9_undec_body/lod3.im', material '*lod3*6B0DFE96*mtl #11*m.onetex'.
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE170: Failed to open compiled texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_2b.texture' for 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-96||kuid2 35815 6125 2.tzarc|'
- <kuid2:35815:6125:2> VE165: Texture 'sd9_undec_body/digit_2b.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'sd9_undec_body/lod3.im', material '*lod3*EC942D3D*mtl #10*m.onetex'.

I tried opening some other loco assets thinking I would find these missing digits files, only to find all of them seem to have digit_3a through digit_6b or something. So I am running a search on my nearly 1TB T:ANE build folder to see if the search can find the missing files.

In the mean time, it leaves me with these questions:
- Is there something significant about digits 1 and 2 that no one else seems to use them?
- Would it be possible to copy, say digit_3a, digit_3b, and digit_4b from another asset and rename them to the needed numbers? Other than some slightly different styles, they seem to be a white zero on a black background....

And a lot of locos seem to also have alphanumber files with the actual 0-9 digits...

It looks like after several minutes of searching, I have found couple instances of digit_1a.tga. With luck one of those spots will have the other two as well. I am still curious about the special case of digits 1 and 2 though...[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

Thanks Sailor Dan. I have PevSoft Images2TGA for conversion. The first couple hits in this case are for whatever reason red numbers on white backgrounds. Still investigating.... Don't know that it will be universally so.....

The first couple hits in this case are for whatever reason red numbers on white backgrounds.
You will probably find that the actual image doesn't matter - just ensure the size and pixel depth (24 or 32) matches the other images. Or, perhaps it needs to be completely transparent.

One last question. I found quite a few instances of digit_1a, etc. after searching, in various color combinations including red on white, black on white and white on black. Are the Digit textures the ones that go on the side of the train, or up in the numbers plates, as opposed to the slightly more rare alphanumber textures? Being a BNSF, I guess I would want black on white (or transparent?) for the side of the train, but white on black up on the numbers plates. I guess I can experiment and see where things show up....Definitely learning something here, about both trains and Trainz!

Are the Digit textures the ones that go on the side of the train, or up in the numbers plates, as opposed to the slightly more rare alphanumber textures?
That depends entirely on the particular mesh. You need to look at the textures one by one to see which goes where. AssetX can do that.

You would use transparent where the numbers are never actually used but have been allowed for in the mesh. It is more usual for the mesh to support only the number of numbers actually used.

Back