Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB Forest assets all faulty

Blog Entries

Default TB Forest assets all faulty

I have a whole bunch of these, all on the DLS and all coming up faulty with multiple "Alias mesh not found " warnings for each one. Also there are TB grass assets that flag faulty when updated. What gives?
    "My wife says that if I buy one more train, she is going to leave me. I'm going to miss her."

US Army 1978-84

Missing mesh libraries at a guess.

Quick check

<kuid2:19691:100014:2> Tb Forest Library
    <kuid2:19691:100014:1> Tb Forest Library
    <kuid:19691:100014> Tb Forest Library

<kuid2:19691:100011:2> Tb Grass Library
    <kuid2:19691:100011:1> Tb Grass Library
    <kuid:19691:100011> Tb Grass Library
    Malc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Missing mesh libraries at a guess.

Quick check

<kuid2:19691:100014:2> Tb Forest Library
    <kuid2:19691:100014:1> Tb Forest Library
    <kuid:19691:100014> Tb Forest Library

<kuid2:19691:100011:2> Tb Grass Library
    <kuid2:19691:100011:1> Tb Grass Library
    <kuid:19691:100011> Tb Grass Library
    MY CM shows the most recent versions of the libraries are all installed
    "My wife says that if I buy one more train, she is going to leave me. I'm going to miss her."

US Army 1978-84

Quote Originally Posted by boc61 View Post
    Hmm in which case they probably aren't configured for TANE upwards, I actually remember deleting all the TB stuff shortly after downloading, probably as I don't waste time on faulty stuff.

So, had a look, mesh library configs do not list the meshes, just one dummy mesh, so they are never going to work other than in TS12.
    Malc

I have a whole bunch of these, all on the DLS and all coming up faulty with multiple "Alias mesh not found " warnings for each one. Also there are TB grass assets that flag faulty when updated. What gives?
    Open each asset and change
    <kuid2:19691:100014:1> or <kuid:19691:100014> in the mesh table and kuid table:

To: <kuid2:19691:100014:2>

John

Make sure that ONLY the most recent version is installed - delete the obsolete versions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC1 View Post
    Open each asset and change
    <kuid2:19691:100014:1> or <kuid:19691:100014> in the mesh table and kuid table:

To: <kuid2:19691:100014:2>

John

Thanks,done, but no help there. Still faulty.

US Army 1978-84

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    Make sure that ONLY the most recent version is installed - delete the obsolete versions.

It is the only one installed.

US Army 1978-84

It is the only one installed.
    In that case you have to dig a little deeper.

Open one of the faulty assets. You will see in config.txt something like

{
    mesh "1/106.im"
    mesh-asset <kuid:19691:100014>
    auto-create 1
    mesh-season 0
    }

Open the library for editing. You will see in the folder a list of files ending in '.im'.

Make sure that each reference to the mesh in the faulty asset matches a '.im' file name in the library folder. It is likely a consistent spelling or formatting error. If necessary, change the faulty asset to match.

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Hmm in which case they probably aren't configured for TANE upwards
    It's likely the other way around - the latest updates take advantage of features not available in earlier versions.

Tested this myself just now. I downloaded 2 forest assets;

<kuid:888348:100039> Tb Forest S 004-10 and
    <kuid:888348:100040> Tb Forest S 020.

They caused 2 versions of the Tb Forest Library to also download;

<kuid:19691:100014> and
    <kuid2:19691:100014:2>

With both libraries present, the forest assets were faulty. Running a database rebuild did not eliminate the faults. Deleting the older version of the mesh library resolved the faults. The faults were genuine in that the required meshes were not in the earlier version of the mesh library, but are in the later version. So it seems that only by deleting the earlier mesh library can we force the asset to find and use the later version.

Doesn't this mean the kuid2 obsoleting system isn't working as it should? Surely, it should be automatically using the latest version, without any forcing?

(Just a side note about the trees. They go snowy in December/January even when below the snowline. In other words, the author doesn't understand how the seasonal system is meant to work).

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; August 14th, 2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Deleted initial response after analysing the problem a bit
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Doesn't this mean the kuid2 obsoleting system isn't working as it should? Surely, it should be automatically using the latest version, without any forcing?
    I don't see that as the problem, but if it fixes it then that's all to the good.

The issue you have described is a known bug in recent versions. If there are two copies of a library that are inconsistent in mesh names, then any assets that depend on that library will be marked as faulty. The solution is to delete all versions except the latest and then, if necessary, update any assets that still use the mesh names from the earlier version.

The explanation given for the bug is that it is necessary in order to eliminate the problem of people failing to update the library when they download a newer version of the dependent asset that uses the new library mesh names but retains the older library version number! Creating a different, and somewhat obscure, error to eliminate another more obvious error seems like a backward step.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    (Just a side note about the trees. They go snowy in December/January even when below the snowline. In other words, the author doesn't understand how the seasonal system is meant to work).
    I have noticed that assets use 2 different wintering methods. One that you mentioned makes it winter/not winter based on the altitude setting. The other method is based on the time of year regardless of snowline settings. I suppose these methods are the discretion of the asset creators. I have seen a couple hybrids where below the line is controlled by the calendar, and above winters them out all year. I don't know if "meant to work" has a writ in stone definition or not.
    (-3-)y-~~

Quote Originally Posted by maruffijd View Post
    I have noticed that assets use 2 different wintering methods. One that you mentioned makes it winter/not winter based on the altitude setting. The other method is based on the time of year regardless of snowline settings. I suppose these methods are the discretion of the asset creators. I have seen a couple hybrids where below the line is controlled by the calendar, and above winters them out all year. I don't know if "meant to work" has a writ in stone definition or not.
    If assets don't use the snowline method to toggle snow and just use the calendar (i.e. winter skin is snowy), you can get the situation where trees turn snowy in parts of the world that don't have snow in winter.

While the season-selector config code obviously allows creators to make that mistake (i.e. it doesn't trigger a hard fault message), N3V's seasonal assets use the snowline method and the Wiki contains the express instruction; "If you wish to use "snow" on your asset use the Snowline options, not the Winter options" (on this page here). That's how it's "meant to work".

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; August 15th, 2019 at 03:13 AM.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Blog Entries

Today I went in and deleted all the TB assets and re downloaded them. As stated above, both versions of the library installed and they were faulty. I deleted the older version and the errors were cleared. I "thought" I only had the latest version of the library before, but maybe I was wrong, which I often am. In any event problem solved, thanks for the input.

US Army 1978-84